Quantcast

Memory

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
A while ago, I put together this desktop with a bunch of help from this forum. Thanks!!

I had a 2x1 ram setup. I recently added two more of the same ram to have a 4x1 setup (yes, I know XP will only use 3-3.5gb). This is what I have, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134125 . The new cards have a new style case, but they are the same.

After adding the other two, my computer seemed a bit slower and was more prone to freezing. Is that a timing issue? I've never tried timing anything. Would I be better off with a 2x2 setup? Currently, it's back with 2x1. It's less sluggish and hasn't frozen.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Could be bad memory. Have you tried swapping around the sticks to make sure they're all good?

You shouldn't be getting freezing with increased memory, but you could absolutely experience slow-downs. Most PCs now have dual-channel memory, which means two sticks operating in tandem are substantially faster than more sticks. So, it's a tradeoff: if you can't stay with just two sticks, does the increased memory storage make the computer faster than the lower access times for dual-channel?

Test the memory first, make sure it's good (swap the other two sticks in for your current two). If your motherboard lets you, try putting two known good sticks in the other two slots (you may not be able to do this) to test the slots themselves.

In the end, though, 2x2gb is the way to go for 4gb setups. It'll let your system maintain the dual channel speed.

Also, your link doesn't work so I don't know if you're getting good RAM :p

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
That's wierd... it's works for me. Maybe copy/paste this - Item#:N82E16820134125 and go to http://newegg.com.

It's dual channel, but I guess now dual channel requires using 2 cards? Right now, I have the new memory in (2x1). Which profile should I select for my 2x1 setup and for a 2x2 setup if I do that?