Quantcast

Mick Hannah on Mongoose

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
hmmmm...

Hannah/Mongoose = Hill/Iron Horse?

Hill helped take the largely unknown and/or sought of IH to a worldwide powerhouse, will Hannah do the same for 'Goose? :rockout:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
hmmmm...

Hannah/Mongoose = Hill/Iron Horse?

Hill helped take the largely unknown and/or sought of IH to a worldwide powerhouse, will Hannah do the same for 'Goose? :rockout:
with what, his 1 world cup win 1 NCS win and pretty average results since '01 and '02? not to say he isn't super fast, but he's never really lived up to the potential he showed when he first arrived on the scene 8 years ago. but who knows, maybe some time off did him good.

and the success of iron horse was the result of a lot more than just sam hill

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
To a point I agree with you.

The point being a bike with a BB that doesn't pivot around a main pivot when the suspension is activated.
Have you ridden a freedrive suspended Mongoose?!?!? Cause I think you'd have a very different view if you actually put in a run or two on a properly set up EC-d, boot'r,.....hell any of them!!!

I have spent tons of hours on my trail bike ('goose teocali elite) and demo'd an EC-d for a few days prior to getting my teocali. I've yet to feel this harsh, feet wildly swinging, urt wannabe sensation that every 'net rider speaks of.....and I owned a true urt back in the hayday (gary fisher level betty). What I did feel was a solid suspension package that seemed to squirt off of hits like it was pumping the terrain for you and is a true performer everywhere else. Overall, freedrive made the bike quite fun and playful on the trail. The EC-d felt damn good as a true race bike to me, but my wallet wasn't able to throw down for two new bikes this year.

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I admit I haven't ridden it. Haven't driven a three wheel car either, but I know it'd be crap.
You know what they say about making assumptions...

I have ridden it. It certainly isn't crap and it certainly doesn't feel like a URT. go ride it before you make sweeping statements about it.

reachcontrol

Chimp
Nov 27, 2007
And you've certainly supplied a lot of technical merit to your "opinion" as well...At least the other folks have actually ridden one...

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Smart enough to spot a marketing gimmick from good design.
:ban:

it was voted the best new suspension design by dirt i think it was last year. honestly, just accept that you wrong. when you ride the bike and still honestly think its crap then come back and tell us, but you have no experience on a 8" bike that pedals like a hardtail but is still a more than capable race steed. Ride it, you will be pleasantly surprised by this so call "URT".

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
ATTENTION

This thread is about to spawn a new rule in the DH forum. If you want to dive in and post in a thread about how "X bike sucks", but then do not post any concrete evidence as to why "X bike sucks" you will lose posting privileges.

I'm tired of the 12 year old pinkbike kids (or the adults with the maturity level of said kids) coming in and causing this forum to go to hell with their ridiculous posts.

This rule goes into effect now.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
And you've certainly supplied a lot of technical merit to your "opinion" as well...At least the other folks have actually ridden one...
Watch the BB/rear axle in the animation http://www.mongoose.com/mtn/newsDetail.html?id=617

The guy keeps talking about an "independent" BB that's not connected to the front and rear triangles.... The BB is apparently made independent from the rear axle by a small link that it in-line with the rear axle !

It's so fundamentally flawed that I can't believe bikes like this are being made and at the same time we're arguing if a DW is better than an FSR etc.

Apologies if I've upset any owners of the bike. It's just my opinion that you'd be faster on a non hybrid URT :biggrin:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Watch the BB/rear axle in the animation http://www.mongoose.com/mtn/newsDetail.html?id=617

It's so fundamentally flawed that I can't believe bikes like this are being made and at the same time we're arguing if a DW is better than an FSR etc.
and based on everything we know about physics and aerodynamics a bumblebee can't fly.

that bike isn't a whole lot different from an i-drive, and it's widely accepted that the original dh-i was one of the best platforms to come along in the short history of dh racing.

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
ATTENTION

This thread is about to spawn a new rule in the DH forum. If you want to dive in and post in a thread about how "X bike sucks", but then do not post any concrete evidence as to why "X bike sucks" you will lose posting privileges.

I'm tired of the 12 year old pinkbike kids (or the adults with the maturity level of said kids) coming in and causing this forum to go to hell with their ridiculous posts.

This rule goes into effect now.
It's far more likely that this is a mongoose shill drumming up support for the ECD. Just look at the effects. A few negative comments, and a fleet of knowledgeable posters come to the frame's defense. This couldn't happen of course without a solid design, and though I've never ridden one, I think these cheaper highish end, high volume bikes are great for the sport.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA

The guy keeps talking about an "independent" BB that's not connected to the front and rear triangles.... The BB is apparently made independent from the rear axle by a small link that it in-line with the rear axle !

Apologies if I've upset any owners of the bike. It's just my opinion that you'd be faster on a non hybrid URT :biggrin:
You have no clue what so ever about anything do you? first to be a URT the BB an rear wheel axle have to move as one. Thus the unified part of the the URT.

Haven been around long enough to have ridden URTs back in the day and the mongoose they're nothing alike. There was also a bike back in the day by storm cycles that had a moving BB not unified with the rear and it also didn't act like a URT, it was actually closer to a lawill i the way it worked.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
You have no clue what so ever about anything do you? first to be a URT the BB an rear wheel axle have to move as one. Thus the unified part of the the URT.
Firstly, how does my apparent lack of knowledge regarding suspension designs effect my "clue what so ever about anything" ?

Secondly, you either have very poor eyesight or have little understanding of basic engineering.

I'll say it again in the simplest way possible.

The BB is connected to the rear axle via a small, in-line link. When the main pivot rotates clockwise, the BB moves rearwards in a horizontal plane. When the main pivot rotates anti-clockwise the BB moves forwards in a horizontal plane.

In addition the main mass (riders weight) isn't suspended by the main triangle.

This is essentially exactly how a URT design works.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
Firstly, how does my apparent lack of knowledge regarding suspension designs effect my "clue what so ever about anything" ?

Secondly, you either have very poor eyesight or have little understanding of basic engineering.

I'll say it again in the simplest way possible.

The BB is connected to the rear axle via a small, in-line link. When the main pivot rotates clockwise, the BB moves rearwards in a horizontal plane. When the main pivot rotates anti-clockwise the BB moves forwards in a horizontal plane.

In addition the main mass (riders weight) isn't suspended by the main triangle.

This is essentially exactly how a URT design works.

awesome, have you ridden an i-drive? this is basically the same thing. In fact they share many of the same patents and the basic principles There even owned by the same company are they not?. you can use what you think you know all you want, but time and time again suspension designs have come out and proven wrong its nay-sayers. This system has been in production for a few years now, and everytime someone downplays it, people that actually have ridden it stand up for it. Before you put it down with facts you think you know, ride it, then with all the information on both sides you can say something about it. otherwise your just being ignorant and making yourself look like an ass to your peers. thanks much

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
The first time around URT's were in production for a few years too. The fact that it's been in production for a while probably means they've sold enough off the back of it being something different and it's obvious ability to pedal well (it's a URT after all).

But I will try and get a ride on one on local trails. Don't think there's a dealer near me though. I saw two at Whistler all year and one of the guys was paid to ride it.

I should add I don't have the slightest worry about looking like an ass to my 'peers'.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
JLC, if you look closer, you will notice that the link conneting the rear triangle (rear wheel) to the bb is NOT actually in line with the force vector that pulls that link. The bb does NOT move at the same rate as the rear wheel, nor in the same path (it is connected to a seperate 'mid link' that does not have a pivot concentric with the rear 'triangle'.

You are correct that the bike shares 'some' very general descriptions that are in common with a URT, but, please if you are going to try to school everyone with your rigid interpretations of engineering and physics.....(BTW, the bb on this bike and on any URT actually move in a circular path or line...not horizontal, and not in a plane (other than a vertical one).

Use those same skills you claim to have to look close enough and correctly enough to see the large differences in what the bike actually is, and what you assume it to be.

Last edited:

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I don't claim to have anything like superior engineering knowledge. My lack of the proper terminology must show that. I just think the design has got some issues. Especially for a World Cup level DH bike.

I didn't say the BB moves at the same rate as the rear wheel. I did say it moves in a horizontal plane which you rightly corrected me on. I should have said a shallow fore/aft arc, as the BB mount /shock activation member's pivot is almost directly above the BB.

The bottom line is that the BB (or the riders main contact patch) isn't isolated (in a main frame or triangle member) from the rear axle by a normal pivot or linkage system. Yes the BB is will move in a different radius to a pure URT as the BB mount members pivot is closer to the BB than the main pivot. However, the BB does move independent of the main triangle and the riders hands.

Is that really a good idea/design ?