Quantcast

>>> Middle FTS<<<

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
push mowing a acre is nothing....really....

old house in virginia....more than a acre....not flat....it wasn't landscaped when we mowed it

View attachment 187254

other house in virginia...between front and back....2 acres....plus what we mowed by the side of the road...

View attachment 187255

lots in highlands ranch aint that big....
Correct. But I still hate it. If I can get my 1/8 acre of grass that on 3 separate tiers gone, I'll do it in a second.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yep - two separate shops recommended simply dropping a new crate motor in. And it's not worth much more than that process will cost.
No junk yard engines available in your neck of the woods? Many moons ago, that's how I avoided paying over $4k for a new GM transmission for teh Volvo.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
he can't be bothered with details when it comes to the remote combustion vehicle revolution.
to be fair, I only know this because I have dreamed about converting my beloved but thirsty Land Cruiser to electric. but it's just not in the cards unless I win the lottery.

i will have to save the planet some other way, like via studiously sorting my trash vs food waste eh

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Who knew that steve came from landed gentry?

:fancy:
the pool table in the detached garage was nice....the breezeway between that and the house was great for getting shitfaced in the summer when the parents were gone....

i wish above the garage had been turned into a apartment....but we were only in that house for about 3 years before pops was transferred to nashville...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
to be fair, I only know this because I have dreamed about converting my beloved but thirsty Land Cruiser to electric. but it's just not in the cards unless I win the lottery.

i will have to save the planet some other way, like via studiously sorting my trash vs food waste eh
Similar here, I'd love to drop a motor with all the torks into my guzzler 2500. But it ain't saving the planet by any means, not without serious investment in some other power production, and the power outages here are too regular.

.......and it would cost about 5 times what I paid for the thing.

It's one of the infinitely dumb aspects of gov hairdo's proclamations here. Invest in these kits. Invest in the grid. THEN you can ban gas vehicles and natural gas appliances. Until then, you're just fucking over people who don't buy 80k cars every few years (which is most people). We lose power for days and sometimes even weeks at a time. Our gas appliances and gasoline everything else are the only way we stay alive in winter.

plus, you know.....

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Correct. But I still hate it. If I can get my 1/8 acre of grass that on 3 separate tiers gone, I'll do it in a second.
the best part....

my dad would have us pick up rocks....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Similar here, I'd love to drop a motor with all the torks into my guzzler 2500. But it ain't saving the planet by any means, not without serious investment in some other power production, and the power outages here are too regular.

.......and it would cost about 5 times what I paid for the thing.

It's one of the infinitely dumb aspects of gov hairdo's proclamations here. Invest in these kits. Invest in the grid. THEN you can ban gas vehicles and natural gas appliances. Until then, you're just fucking over people who don't buy 80k cars every few years (which is most people). We lose power for days and sometimes even weeks at a time. Our gas appliances and gasoline everything else are the only way we stay alive in winter.

plus, you know.....
EVs would be cleaner overall (the logistical issues of power grid reliability in your locale aside) even if all fueled by coal, iirc.

but I have a bunch of (shipped from China but that carbon cost probably only took a few months to pay off) PV on my roof. we net overproduce by a few MWh for the year and should still be at least even even after I add another BEV to the mix come spring.

some day we will get to this point, though:

didn't come from the factory that way +/- modifications by street urchins pulling external radiators (?) off.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
anyway, I agree with your underlying points, 'woo. see futility of prius thread. just picking around the edges here.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
see futility of prius thread.
You mean that 'fuckit, YOLO' thread you started? ;)

With the consistent, reliable, unrelenting sun we got in this joint for 7 months of the year, the fact that every house isn't outfitted with panels is probably the biggest crime here. To me it just shows that all these forced obsolescence decrees are just window dressing. They don't take this shit seriously.

edit: went to read that link and saw it was a union of concerned scientists document......they've kinda turned into an electric industry lobbying group. Very 'market-based'

Last edited:

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Sat in the truck at the trail head for 15 minutes deciding if I should “man up” or pussy out…

Thank FSM I got out and rode. Got soaked to the bone and froze my ass off, but, man, was it worth it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You mean that 'fuckit, YOLO' thread you started? ;)
well, that is the conclusion I came to at that time :D . to my credit, though, I did end up building a highly efficient house here in Denver (with said PV), etc.

but the point is that I recognize that the same concrete jungle, car-centric ugly world we've built won't be magically redeemed if X% of the cars are replaced with ones with battery packs

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
EVs would be cleaner overall (the logistical issues of power grid reliability in your locale aside) even if all fueled by coal, iirc.

but I have a bunch of (shipped from China but that carbon cost probably only took a few months to pay off) PV on my roof. we net overproduce by a few MWh for the year and should still be at least even even after I add another BEV to the mix come spring.

some day we will get to this point, though:

didn't come from the factory that way +/- modifications by street urchins pulling external radiators (?) off.
1672885269545.png

Fascination with electric toys checks out.