Quantcast

Mini-Vans

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
So lets say my wife and I were talking about getting a minivan. I would say there is a very good chance we'll get a Toyota Sienna but if I did pick something else what should I look into?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Dodge Grand Caravan STX. I hated the idea of it, but the wife wanted one, so to keep the peace (And the peice...) we got it. The thing is fairly plush, and WAY to fast for a grocery getter...

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Honda Odyssey, Minivans get a bad rep but for the most part they are faster, corner better,ride better and get better gas mileage than SUV's. All of the new ones are capable of hauling bikes inside without wheel removal and can haul full sheets of plywood.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Honda Odyssey, Minivans get a bad rep but for the most part they are faster, corner better,ride better and get better gas mileage than SUV's. All of the new ones are capable of hauling bikes inside without wheel removal and can haul full sheets of plywood.
Ha, funny to think we're at a point in our lives where Plywood/bike/kid hauling all need to be done in one vehicle.

Anybody have experience with the Toyota Sienna?

PS. 2 extra things I would like to have is a TV and navigation.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
my brother has an oddyssey and loves it. i, on the other hand, got a great deal on a Ford Windstar and regret it every day. friggin electrical system is shot...interior lights stay on all the time, check engine light always on which reaks havoc come inspection time and the dealership can't even figure it out.
i'm done w/ american cars.....my previous dodge caravan fell apart at 95k miles :digust1:

and they wonder why they need a bailout.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I thought you were eating pb and b sammies cause you are broke...?
somehow i'm reminded of BigMike's story.

another option to consider if the burgeoning family only includes a kidlet or two are the "sub-minivans":

- Mazda5
- Kia Rondo
- hell, even the Honda Fit might work in a pinch

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the sienna's are nice and i think they are styled a little nicer than the odyssey

the town and country is nice upgrade from the caravan too, w/ more power

if you want a video system, get a price from the dealer, then go to a car audio store and get a price from them.
and get a portable navi, the built in units are nice b/c they are integrated, but they cost stupid stupid money

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Anybody have experience with the Toyota Sienna?

We have a 2000 Sienna XLE. Picked it up about 2 years ago. Has around 80,000 miles on it. Haven't had any problems. Everything still works, and it is loaded(though no TVs or nav systems). The V6 is definitely peppy for what the vehicle is.

The main issues I was finding when we were getting it were engine sludge so the first thing I did was change the oil with Mobil 1 synthetic which is suppose to stop the issue.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
+2 on the Odyssey.

I'd check VERY closely at the ones that had the auto transmission issue, though ('99-'01 maybe?). We had our transmission replaced (under an extended warranty given out by Honda just for the tranny) at 72K.

I've heard good things about the Chrysler products, but I personally would shy away from them as I like to keep vehicles past 100K.

I'd also personally not have a minivan if we hadn't had the 3rd kid. They get $HITTY gas mileage. :mad:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Make sure it has tinted windows if you plan on keeping bikes in the back or doing secret DH shuttles. No one ever suspects a mini-van, parked off the side of the road, of being used by by DHers.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
You can't go wrong with the Toyota, Honda or Hyundai minivans.
Since Chrysler was mentioned above... I drove 94 grand caravan as a delivery vehicle for a while, it had 250k miles. I still have a 95 grand caravan 3.4L with 160k on it as a daily driver, still runs good. Only major item it needed was a transmission rebuild at 120k. Best I can get is about 25mpg, but with snow tires now its like 22 mpg. You can fit a 4 DH bikes, gear, 4 people all inside.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
i had a 98 Dodge grand caravan that has 208K miles on it & it's still going, yank out all the seats & you can throw in 3-4 bikes & all the camping gear for a long weekend, pair it up with a receiver mounted cargo tray & there's a lot more storage space. I have to say, if I did it again, I'd go for the honda odyssey, but as far as minivans, they're actually nice to have........oh, & the GC that i had has been over weston pass in colorado.......not something I'd recommend, but it made it all the way over :)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My brother has VW Routan/Dodge Caravan.

If you are six feet or taller, you will feel cramped. If the front seats went back two or three more inches....

He likes it.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Please provide justification for your statement.

No problemo dude.
Compare the 2009 or 2008 Honda Oddessy EX-L with (RES) DVD and NO Navi to the 2008 Hyundai Entourage Limited with the Ultimate package(DVD).
Price after discounts and incentives according to Edmunds.com
Hyundai- $27,729
Honda - $33,702

Saftey:
Hyundai- 5 star all the way around except for 4 stars in rollover
Honda - same and Hyundai

Fuel economy:
Hyundai- 16/23
Honda - 17/25

WARRANTY:
Hyundai bumper to bumper- 5 years/60,000
Honda bumper to bumper - 3 years/36,000:lighten:
Hyundai powertrain- 10 years/100,000
Honda powertrain- 5 years/60,000

The hyundai is also better equiped while comparing these two price points. Toyota does worse than the Honda when comparing the 2 other than price. The Nissan is a pile of crap and not worth it's price in scrap metal.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
reliability is very very good. But like anything that all depends on who owns the vehicle, every Honda does not last to 100k.

You are also going to begin to see many more Honda's begin to get scrapped sooner due to the amount of computer and electronically controlled componets in the later models.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
reliability is very very good. But like anything that all depends on who owns the vehicle, every Honda does not last to 100k.

You are also going to begin to see many more Honda's begin to get scrapped sooner due to the amount of computer and electronically controlled componets in the later models.
Can't argue with any of this... the electronic revolution is going to be the Bogeyman to the people that like to keep their cars for 1/4 million miles or more. :D

That said - you've a better chance of a Honda getting to those high miles than most other vehicles... and they're likely to do it with minimal problems... (my transmission replacement non withstanding :mad: ).

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
A few things happened but we have a 0% loan on our Highlander so we owe less than it's worth. Sooooo I was at the dealership and the owner who I'm personally friends with said he would take that car in on trade and we could get into a Sienna for $100/month less than we're spending now. We like the Highlander but it always just seems to come up short space-wise.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
we could get into a Sienna for $100/month less than we're spending now.
Friend or no friend - never trust a car salesman to tell you anything that might make you change your mind. Most people NEVER ask what the car will actually cost. Saving $100.00 a month sounds fine unless you are going more than 48 months. Financing for 60 or 72 months often leaves consumers upside down for most of their loan.

How much is the interest?
How many months is the note?
How much equity will you lose?
What will be the total cost of all payments?

Financially you are better off to stick with the zero percent loan until the vehicle is paid off.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
A few things happened but we have a 0% loan on our Highlander so we owe less than it's worth. Sooooo I was at the dealership and the owner who I'm personally friends with said he would take that car in on trade and we could get into a Sienna for $100/month less than we're spending now. We like the Highlander but it always just seems to come up short space-wise.
You have ONE kid? And you're running out of space? I'd recommend not taking so much $hit with you. :busted:

If we'd only had two we'd still have two Subaru wagons. :D

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
You have ONE kid? And you're running out of space? I'd recommend not taking so much $hit with you. :busted:

If we'd only had two we'd still have two Subaru wagons. :D
wurd. i can fit the wife and all three of my kids in my legacy wagon; it's cramped but we can do it and have done it for a while when my wife lost the only van key (had to eventually fork out $150 for 2 new keys :banghead: )
anyway, for everything longer than a jaunt to the park we take the van 'cause every kid has their own captains chair which eliminates a lot of the typical griping and whining. i don't think we could do it as a family of 5 in the subaru all the time, somebody would end up on the roof rack.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
wurd. i can fit the wife and all three of my kids in my legacy wagon; it's cramped but we can do it and have done it for a while when my wife lost the only van key (had to eventually fork out $150 for 2 new keys :banghead: )
Yah - we can get everyone in the Outback (and have to go get a Christmas tree)... it's a major PITA. It'll probably be a lot better when the liddle guy gets out of a full-back booster.

anyway, for everything longer than a jaunt to the park we take the van 'cause every kid has their own captains chair which eliminates a lot of the typical griping and whining. i don't think we could do it as a family of 5 in the subaru all the time, somebody would end up on the roof rack.
Yeah. Or murdered. :rofl:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
For 2 or fewer kids a minivan is overkill.
Our family beater is a 94 mercedes e320 wagon. It's plenty huge for the four of us 90% of the time. In a pinch, and with no cargo, we can fit 7 people (2 of which must be kids or drunk) using the 3rd row.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO

What are the numbers of this deal you have working?

Highlander trade in value/payoff
What is he selling the Sienna for?
term of loan, rate?

Typically the owner will throw a good deal to a buddy, especially during the current economic times.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
What are the numbers of this deal you have working?

Highlander trade in value/payoff
What is he selling the Sienna for?
term of loan, rate?

Typically the owner will throw a good deal to a buddy, especially during the current economic times.
We owe $13,500 on the Highlander and he's going to give us $14k.
The 05 Sienna's he's retailing on his website for $18k+ but he's going to sell us an 06 with around 35k on it for $14k-15k depending on mileage etc. The interest rate is 4.9% for 5yrs I believe. I don't really care about resale at the end of the loan because we'll probably run this thing into the ground.