Quantcast

Miter Saw

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Yesterday i was building some stunts on my trail and i was using my miter saw to cut the lumber. i was about done with the stunt and my miter saw decided to quit on me, it over heated and fried the internals. this thing is like 15 years old and i think it is time for a new one. i have a budget of about $200-$250. What do you guys use? i am looking for recommendations on brands and models. what features are importand, blade size, ext.

Thanks in advance

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
LS1040 10¼” Compound Mitre Saw (110v)

Built to Makita`s usual high standards the 110v LS1040 offers exceptional value for money. Equally useful in the workshop or on site, it is ideal for accurately cross cutting, bevel and mitre cutting most hard and softwoods, plastics and, with the correct blade fitted, light alloys. Lightweight and portable the LS 1040 still offers a high degree of precision and accuracy.
1650 Watt, 110v motor (also available in 230v)
4600rpm no load blade speed
260mm (10 1/4") dia. Blade c/w 30mm bore
Cross cut capacity - 69mm x 130mm
Mitre / bevel cut capacities at 45° - 90.5mm x 67mm mitre, 35mm x 130mm bevel.
45° mitre cut (left & right) / 45° bevel cut (right only)
Vertical material vice, dust collection bag and triangular rule supplied as standard

Product Code: 060110503

About £200

saw.jpg

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
dumb question.... but how are you bring a miter saw out into the woods with you?

i have nothing helpful to add to this. i use a ryobi at home, but only becaues it was on sale.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
thanks ukjason, i have been looking at thoes and they look really nice. anybody have any experence with crafsman?

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
amydalayna said:
dumb question.... but how are you bring a miter saw out into the woods with you?

i have nothing helpful to add to this. i use a ryobi at home, but only becaues it was on sale.
i didnt. the trail [portion with stunts] is behind my garage and i can run a long extension cord out there.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I'd go for a DeWalt, mine has lasted about 7 years now, and my cordless drill is indestructable. It has survived drops from the roof to cement with a bounce into the pool. My miter saw doesn't take the same abuse, but it still runs great.

Stay away from Craftsman powertools, their handtools are the best, everything else is crap.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I use a variety of carpenters to build my homes and they all use DeWalt because it just lasts longer and works better for them.

In fact, just about the only power tools I see on the jobsites are DeWalt.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
specializedride said:
i didnt. the trail [portion with stunts] is behind my garage and i can run a long extension cord out there.
there inlies your problem... If you have an extension cord with any length to it... it has resistance... most people buy a "nice" extension cord from one of the Depot's or box stores, where they can get a hundred foot cord for $12.99. the problem is that the cord is not heavy enough to carry the amperage that you need to run the saw... and that lack of amps is what will heat the motor up and eventually kill it! Trust me when I tell you... YOU NEED TO BUY A GOOD EXTENSION CORD...!!! or you will just kill another saw!

now onto your question.

I looked for quite some time when it came time to replace my "chop saw" there were very few makers making "Ergonomically" correct saws. the saw UkJason shows has a pistol grip handle, which over time will become a pain in your wrist. I would highly recommend a DeWalt, or Rigid or other maker with a horizontal "D" handle on it. It will feel more like a bike grip in your hand anyway and wont hurt you in the long run if you are making a bunch of cuts.

here is a link to HD and a bunch they sell...

I would buy the most that you can... but You don't sound like you need a "sliding compound mitre"! I would get a good 12"... a lot of times Home Depot will run a special and throw in a stand also which is like a $50-70 value

(I teach power tech. (electrical info) and woodshop, and do carpentry and contracting on the side)

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
i think i am going with dewalt bacause i have one of there sawzalls and it is super high quilty. but i may buy makita.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
N8 said:
I use a variety of carpenters to build my homes and they all use DeWalt because it just lasts longer and works better for them.

In fact, just about the only power tools I see on the jobsites are DeWalt.
Worked for my buddies painting company for about a month... we did several houses and various other projects... I have to confirm, I was nothing but yellow Dewalt power tools every place I went.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
golgiaparatus said:
Worked for my buddies painting company for about a month... we did several houses and various other projects... I have to confirm, I was nothing but yellow Dewalt power tools every place I went.

Yep... it's what the pros use for a reason.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Another vote for DeWalt tools. Worked for a roofer for a couple years and we beat the crap out of our drills, miter saws and sawz-alls with nary a complaint.

I'm sure there are other tools built to the same professional standards, and Makita might very well be one of them, but DeWalt is what I saw beaten every day for years on end so that's what I know lasts :)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
brungeman said:
there inlies your problem... If you have an extension cord with any length to it... it has resistance... most people buy a "nice" extension cord from one of the Depot's or box stores, where they can get a hundred foot cord for $12.99. the problem is that the cord is not heavy enough to carry the amperage that you need to run the saw... and that lack of amps is what will heat the motor up and eventually kill it! Trust me when I tell you... YOU NEED TO BUY A GOOD EXTENSION CORD...!!! or you will just kill another saw!
Look at the big brain on brad.

And JBP as well.

My Dad always gives me hell about my extension cords....

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
ukjason said:
if you buy deWalt your just buying an expensive pieace of bosh kit as they are the same company
i didn't know that! i may buy makita then, it just depends what is on sale/cheaper/more bang for your buck. i think i am going to lowes or the home depot to look around.

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
I would go for this Ryobi are a very good brand and are long lasting

saw1.jpg

$149.00

Power through cutting tasks without sacrificing accuracy. This compound miter saw combines a heavy-duty motor and carbide-tipped blade with the Exactline&#8482; laser alignment system for precision cuts. The electric brake stops the blade from spinning in seconds, so you're ready to line up the next cut. With a dust chute and included bag, this saw even makes cleanup fast.

&#8226; 15 amp, 5,000 rpm motor for ample cutting power
&#8226; 9 positive stops reduce setup time for common miter angles
&#8226; Exactline&#8482; laser system makes it easy to align the blade with the cut line
&#8226; Spindle lock for easy single-wrench blade changes

Internet/Catalog #100077746
Store In-Stock SKU # 203608

Internet/Catalog # 100077746
Brand Ryobi
Model # 638069
45 Degree Crosscut Capacity Maximum - Left 2 In. x 4 In.
90 Degree Crosscut Capacity Maximum - Left 2 In. x 6 In. Or 4 In. x 4 In.
90 Degree Crosscut Capacity Maximum - Right 2 In. x 6 In. or 4 In. x 4 In.
Additional Cutting Specifications Baseboard against fence: 3-1/2 In.; crown molding laying flat: 4-3/4 In.; baseboard laying flat: 6 In.
Amperage 15 Amps
Arbor Size 5/8
Assembled Depth (In Inches) 15.5
Assembled Height (In Inches) 16.5
Assembled Weight (In LBS) 46
Assembled Width (In Inches) 23.4
Base Construction Aluminum
Blade Diameter (In.) 10
Blade Speed (RPMs) 5000 RPMs
Charger Included No
Cordless/Corded Corded
Depth (In.) 23.4
Dust Chute Yes
Electric Brake Yes
Maximum Degree Bevel Cuts - Left 45
Maximum Degree Bevel Cuts - Right 45
Maximum Degree Miter Cuts - Left 45
Maximum Degree Miter Cuts - Right 45
Miter Stop (Deg) 9 positive stops
Spindle Lock Yes
Three Position Fence Pivots 0-45 Degrees No
Type Compound Miter
UPC CODE 033287131662
Warranty (Parts) 2 years limited
Weight(Lbs.) 46 Lbs.
Width (In.) 15.5 In.

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
specializedride said:
i may have to look at ryobi but last time i heard that they suck. i forget where i heard that thought.

People use to bad mouth them in the past as being cheap and crap but over the past 5 years they realy have steped there game up while maintaing a good price

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
ukjason said:
if you buy deWalt your just buying an expensive pieace of bosh kit as they are the same company
Is bosh a UK slang term for crap or did you mean "Bosch"? Bosch is good stuff.

No HD doesn't sell makita in the states. The woodworking store I worked at for some time, (and that I do all of my shopping at for good stuff), used to sell a ton of Makita, and it was all good stuff, just some of the other manufacturers upped their game and passed Makita in some features. We started to cary more and more DeWalt stuff, Delta, Jet, Bosch, and when Panasonic came out with a cordless drill, we gave it to a customer that built decks for a living, he came in after two weeks and ordered 3 more. He said the things never ran out of juice, and were indestructable. So we started carying them! It pays to be a small business and can morph to what is good, and what people want.

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
brungeman said:
Is bosh a UK slang term for crap or did you mean "Bosch"? Bosch is good stuff.

No HD doesn't sell makita in the states. The woodworking store I worked at for some time, (and that I do all of my shopping at for good stuff), used to sell a ton of Makita, and it was all good stuff, just some of the other manufacturers upped their game and passed Makita in some features. We started to cary more and more DeWalt stuff, Delta, Jet, Bosch, and when Panasonic came out with a cordless drill, we gave it to a customer that built decks for a living, he came in after two weeks and ordered 3 more. He said the things never ran out of juice, and were indestructable. So we started carying them! It pays to be a small business and can morph to what is good, and what people want.

Total agree bosch power tools are great its Dewalt i dont like because its just Bosch in drag

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
ukjason said:
People use to bad mouth them in the past as being cheap and crap but over the past 5 years they realy have steped there game up while maintaing a good price
They are owned by HD. I have had spotty luck with Ryobi. I had a cordless drill, that came with 2 batteries, one of them burned out after 3 weeks the other was the strongest 14.4 bat. I have ever had! it would still be running if the trigger switch on the drill hadn't melted down! (after quite some use though)!!!

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
bigginsr said:
check out hitachi. their quality has improved and have a 5 year warranty......
I bought a Hitachi when I built my house a few years ago, best saw I have owned so far.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
thanks guys, i got a miter saw yesterday, it is a ridgid 10 inch with lazer and bevel. it is pretty nice but it already broke. i was cutting a fairly small peice of wood and the saw kicked it out really fast and shot it down my drive way and cracked and bent the fence really bad and it took 10 out of 40 teeth out. i think it would be under warentee. i couldent get a makita cause they dont carry them in my area and dewalts are uber expencive. thanks for the sugestions.
~Matt
P:S if any of you are in ohio pm me and you can come over and ride. when it is done!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
specializedride said:
thanks guys, i got a miter saw yesterday, it is a ridgid 10 inch with lazer and bevel. it is pretty nice but it already broke. i was cutting a fairly small peice of wood and the saw kicked it out really fast and shot it down my drive way and cracked and bent the fence really bad and it took 10 out of 40 teeth out. i think it would be under warentee. i couldent get a makita cause they dont carry them in my area and dewalts are uber expencive. thanks for the sugestions.
~Matt
P:S if any of you are in ohio pm me and you can come over and ride. when it is done!
I have a rigid myself, it is a 12" model, and came with a free stand... they are nice, but how did the thing kick out the wood etc? explain!!!

where in OH are you?

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
i think that a few of the teeth were faultuy and had come off with use and the bare blade cought the wood, it was a fairly small peace of 2x4. if it had cought faster i could be sitting here missing a few fingers.:dead:
i am in coshocton ohio, about 70 miles east of columbus, or if you know where neware [heath] is i am about 50 miles away.