Quantcast

moar buzz

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
These look great :thumb:

A little bit surpassed to see them. I exchanged a few emails with Profile last year when they came out with their new bmx hubs asking if they were going to make a mtb version. They said the market wasn't there, guess they changed their mind.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
A co-worker has a couple of pre-production sets of those. Top notch quality and the 204 points of engagement feels amazing.

They sound amazing but they would be way too loud to for me to wear with an open helmet.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Just about right.

Profile's site lists the price on the front at $205 and the rear at $449. Not all axle configs are shown as available yet.
I understand it is product positioning but 205$ for a front hub? Ha ha!

The rear looks nice though. I think dirt mentioned their weight and it was pretty competitive. If only the price wasnt UCI certified crazy.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I would have to agree, they have been in the same performance and quality ballpark as hadley, hope, dt, ect for years. It just seems that people often forget about them as an option
i've got one on my slalom/street bike too. love it. its the older style axle end caps, which were so-so (set-up was a pain, but once set they've been trouble free), but they've improved since then.

wachtourak

Chimp
Apr 26, 2008
Wellington, NZ
Now I've seen these I have an alternative to Hadleys for my next wheelset. I've got a Hadley in the back at the moment, one thing I like is how easy it is to service, even a muppet like me can do it with common tools, does anyone know what profiles are like in this regard? I know Kings are a bit fiddly and need special tools, ideally don't want anything like that.

I know from friends of mine that ride BMX that Profile build quality and reliability is legendary. 204pt engagement sounds phenomenal.

They weigh a bit more than a Hadley yeah? Would be built up to Stans Flows and going on my 5-Spot. Either way the wheelset is gonna be a whole lot lighter than the boat-anchor 823's they'd be replacing.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Ive seen kings get torqued through. Scary.
95% of people who are smart run kings ( like me 8+years on my trials rig )

they are the only hubs that dont blow up.

Everything else blows,specialy hopes.

For the price of the profile ( wich has blown up too ) get yourself a king,you only need 72.

Anything more is for posers who wana sound cool cause they cant go down the hill fast enough to make a buzzin racket with 72 allready

king or hadley,I rock both on both bikes.

Went hadley for a change and glad,love that made in america stamp

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
p.s you dont need any tools for king,unless your servicing bearings then ya you need the Thandle.

2 5mms,pulls cones axles slides out,pull freewheel off and voila cleaning basic service,pop it back in re-assebmle.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Not meaning to sound like a bone-head, but how does one go about ordering a set of hadley hubs? Can you go factory-direct?

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Not meaning to sound like a bone-head, but how does one go about ordering a set of hadley hubs? Can you go factory-direct?
Norco is the Canadian distributor for Hadley. Allthough stock is quite low right now..

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

I love you man. King hubs are good but from the high end stuff Ive seen the same if not more of them having issues than other stuff. That probably has to do with them being more popular but still they are not as bombproof as you say.
People are just a bit blinded by the name they made for themselves a while ago and ignore the facts, a bit like with intense... oh ;)

Not a pun on kings though. Would like to try them. They are just not the only option like there were in the old days.

btw. My dt hugi rear hub has around 10 years now. Hope has 3. No blowing up problems.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Tl;dr? 100% horsesh*t. Ive personally witnessed kings (yes, plural) blow up. Ring drive suffered massive failure as a result of torque through. Obviously this was under extreme circumstances, but theyre not infallible. Great hubs dont get me wrong, but to say they will never fail is a load of hogwash.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For the record, the only drivetrain bit ive never heard of/ seen a failure from is try-all, but thats a ffw with 9 pawls. Also very uncommon in the states, so thats certainly a factor.

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
I understand it is product positioning but 205$ for a front hub? Ha ha!

The rear looks nice though. I think dirt mentioned their weight and it was pretty competitive. If only the price wasnt UCI certified crazy.
$205 for a front hub that has the logo backwards. Fantastic quality control.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
norbar,nothing puts torque on a frewheel like real trials use,not your one two pedal quick.

King is the only hub that wont blow up.
Ask anyone who is a serious trials rider.They will tell you that.

The syndicate runs full king products,cause they make the best product they make period.
You dont even know that the king runs on its own design like a cars trans unlike all other hub makers with pawls that blow up always.

JONKRANKED

I have multiple friends who have broken the white industries ENO TRIALS freewheel ( specialy designed for the use and the best freewheel money can buy for a FFW ( front freewheel set-up )

Its either FFW ( wich is cheaper then running a king in the end ) or running a king and have it for years like mine and others people have records of king checking vins on shells with 15 years + on it and riding trials strong.

and ya im sure kings can break but its so rare man,you rarely ever hear it,and if it does king backs in,yull generaly see it posted seing the trials scene being such a small world.

norbar
You clearly are the one who doesn't know anything.

peace the flip out

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2011

For the price of the profile ( wich has blown up too ) get yourself a king,you only need 72.

Anything more is for posers who wana sound cool cause they cant go down the hill fast enough to make a buzzin racket with 72 allready

king or hadley,I rock both on both bikes.

95% of this is the most retarded **** I have ever heard regarding hubs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
norbar,nothing puts torque on a frewheel like real trials use,not your one two pedal quick.

King is the only hub that wont blow up.
Ask anyone who is a serious trials rider.They will tell you that.

The syndicate runs full king products,cause they make the best product they make period.
You dont even know that the king runs on its own design like a cars trans unlike all other hub makers with pawls that blow up always.

JONKRANKED

I have multiple friends who have broken the white industries ENO TRIALS freewheel ( specialy designed for the use and the best freewheel money can buy for a FFW ( front freewheel set-up )

Its either FFW ( wich is cheaper then running a king in the end ) or running a king and have it for years like mine and others people have records of king checking vins on shells with 15 years + on it and riding trials strong.

and ya im sure kings can break but its so rare man,you rarely ever hear it,and if it does king backs in,yull generaly see it posted seing the trials scene being such a small world.

norbar
You clearly are the one who doesn't know anything.

peace the flip out

I know a few serious trial riders who can say "i blew up a king hub"

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
HOnnestly I dont want to sound like it,but I know all the big names of north america,and they ride kings.

Yes I have herd of some breaking,ever some guys in bc have,they still have them,its wat lasts the longest period the the force it puts on a freewheel.