Quantcast

***Monday GMT***

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Local annual ski sale yesterday morning. Signed the little one up for ski lessons again and found a used pair of ski pants for him for $5. Also, hit up a brewery and a cidery yesterday afternoon. Not a bad day.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'd have no trouble sleeping for the extra hour IF I could get in the bed an hour early. Lot's work done during the weekend, not much riding tho. Finally saw The Force Awakens - first night I fell asleep 30 minutes in the movie, on the second night I forced myself to stay awake. What a meh mess.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
After answering the same questions over and over via text messages, I have finally sold my 04 WRX. Selling things on Craigslist's can suck up a lot of your time.

Got the final fall clean up done of the yard on Sat. and did a frozen CX ride yesterday AM. Thankful for thermal road tights.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
In the world of 2 wheels, took oldest riding both daze - trail Sat and DJ Sunday. Am surprised that he not complaining as much when going up hill! DJ time was spent mostly looking at fossils on huge rock slabs used for bike obstacle course with friend/BMX team mate. Funny stuff listening to kids on how to profit from said "finds" (park is on top of fossilized coral reef, fossils everywhere).

Young one finally rode his balance bike as well! He is much more "safety oriented" than his older brother it seems.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Howdy all. Dropping off elder kid in trailer, stirring up shit at work during section meeting, and picking up boots from boot fitter is on the agenda today.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
'Morning.
Disney 10K in 1:00:20 Saturday. I ran it at a casual pace with the wife.
Disney Half Marathon in 1:40:06 yesterday. I ran it hard but was focking exhausted from the start thanks to walking around the parks all day Saturday. Race results say I finished 135th out of 13000 people. Top 1%. Not a fast crowd at these Disney races!

Garmin says I logged 15 miles Saturday and 23 miles yesterday. My legs are tired.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
'Morning.
Disney 10K in 1:00:20 Saturday. I ran it at a casual pace with the wife.
Disney Half Marathon in 1:40:06 yesterday. I ran it hard but was focking exhausted from the start thanks to walking around the parks all day Saturday. Race results say I finished 135th out of 13000 people. Top 1%. Not a fast crowd at these Disney races!

Garmin says I logged 15 miles Saturday and 23 miles yesterday. My legs are tired.
You should try this thing called mountain biking.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This. My best 10k to date was 48:xx (7:52/mile) and thought I was going to die. Literally. I just laid down on the ground for 10min when I finished and thought my heart was going to explode.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I rode my bike yesterday by myself. It was fun. I did manage to double pinch flat the same tube though, so four holes. Then, I must have left my allens in the tool bag because I had no tools, so couldn't get the wheel off. Ended up having to patch four holes. It was still fun. I need a non-shitty wheelset set up tubeless and tires that aren't Schwalbe Nobby Nics.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I rode my bike yesterday by myself. It was fun. I did manage to double pinch flat the same tube though, so four holes. Then, I must have left my allens in the tool bag because I had no tools, so couldn't get the wheel off. Ended up having to patch four holes. It was still fun. I need a non-shitty wheelset set up tubeless and tires that aren't Schwalbe Nobby Nics.
Funny, I rode for the first time in 3-4 weeks yesterday, and the new Nobby Nics made the ride more enjoyable than it would have been otherwise, what with the roots, fallen leaves and rain combo.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Funny, I rode for the first time in 3-4 weeks yesterday, and the new Nobby Nics made the ride more enjoyable than it would have been otherwise, what with the roots, fallen leaves and rain combo.
I think they have different casings. These are the single ply ones and they are just stupid thin. I'm running like 45 psi just so they don't feel like a wet noodle. But then the grip sucks. I think it's just the whole combo. The OE Sram Roam 30 wheels are pretty narrow, combined with single ply tires, aren't really ideal for 250lbs.

I've mostly been riding a really lame trail after work for exercise with some co-workers so I haven't really cared as much and I can run a ton of pressure since it doesn't matter as much, but getting back to my normal fun trails makes the lack of stiffness and traction from the wheelset extremely noticeable.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Not only did I under-sleep (thanks daylight savings), but the bus was late. It's 7:10 and my boss says "Are you just getting here?" Yes, I am just now walking through the door at 7:10. Only one other person is here and the rest won't be here until 9. Then everyone will be gone by 4:30 and I will be one of the few who did 8+ hours in the office. Why? Because I'm an idiot, that's why. I am salary, it doesn't matter. But when people start to expect you early and stay late, that is a bad sign.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I think they have different casings. These are the single ply ones and they are just stupid thin. I'm running like 45 psi just so they don't feel like a wet noodle. But then the grip sucks. I think it's just the whole combo. The OE Sram Roam 30 wheels are pretty narrow, combined with single ply tires, aren't really ideal for 250lbs.

I've mostly been riding a really lame trail after work for exercise with some co-workers so I haven't really cared as much and I can run a ton of pressure since it doesn't matter as much, but getting back to my normal fun trails makes the lack of stiffness and traction from the wheelset extremely noticeable.
Makes sense. Not sure what model I have, but the sidewalls are substantial. My days of thinking overly thin single ply sidewalls have any type of benefit are long gone. Sidewalls aside, the tread pattern seemed to work really well, so I was happy.

These days, I get whatever tire gets at least decent reviews and is 60-80% off MSRP, regardless of whether or not I've heard of them. I've spent $70-80 dollars on a tire only to have the sidewalls disintigrate before the tread even shows any signs of wear.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My wife has these on her bike... and they seem to have the world's flimsiest sidewalls?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Noted this in the PAWN forum, but Haley flipped off the Trump people standing on the corner this weekend. Wife is in CA again flying back tomorrow, and we'll be jumping onto a plane on Wed night. Probably taking Haley to Disney. Yeah.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
My wife has these on her bike... and they seem to have the world's flimsiest sidewalls?
Yup. There is literally almost nothing to them. Pretty sure Schwalbe has multiple casing types in the same tire. I don't think it's so much the tread I don't like. It's the thinnest sidewall combined with super narrow rim profile along with having to run mega pressure to keep them from feeling all squirrely.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I was surprised at how much I like the nobby nics that came stock on the SB6. There are no wet roots around here and I am a hack so that may be why... I usually run 35 for my 190.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Just had a really good interview with a big agency. It will be interesting to see what they want to offer.

Finally got back on the bike this weekend. I could really feel how weak the legs had gotten.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I like WTB Trailboss.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I like WTB Trailboss.
was going to suggest this, but CBJ beat me to it. Trailboss tread is pretty similar to Nobby Nic, maybe with tougher sideknobs. They come in regular casing and "tough" casing. They're pretty decent. Maybe not as fast rolling the the NN, but only by a smidge. Good wet condition tire. I have it on the back right now, paired with a 2.5 DHF EXO in the front.

I just got back to work from my first physical check up today. Thought I was going to have my prostate checked, but nope, I can wait another 9 years before that given the lack of family history. Only had my testes fondled. :/ Doc asked me if I was happy with my weight... I said nope; I know I could stand to loose 10-20lbs, but I haven't been that low as an adult except the one summer I was single and riding 6 days a week. Now with two kids that don't sleep great, I manage to get out riding 2x/week which is fine, but there's no chance in hell I can get more exercise in... She didn't seem overly concerned about my weight though, so that's ok I guess. Only blood work I need to get done is cholesterol levels...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wifey just texted me. Apparently the office secretary forgot to book a hotel for tonight. wtf.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Noted this in the PAWN forum, but Haley flipped off the Trump people standing on the corner this weekend. Wife is in CA again flying back tomorrow, and we'll be jumping onto a plane on Wed night. Probably taking Haley to Disney. Yeah.
fantastic....waiting for stories of her flipping off you and the wife.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also, the wife was bitching about the meh tacos we made the other night (regular ground beef with spices added). So while we were out Sunday we went by a real Mexican grocery store (the one in SE is a joke) and they just happen to be having a killer meat sale. $2.99/lb for al pastor and asada. 3 lbs of pork al pastor and 2 pounds of carne asada, plus some fresh salsa and a few other random things you can only get there. Ever since I started using the uncooked tortillas, the usual ground beef "taco meat" just doesn't cut it.

Now the wife is shopping for a tortilla press. :rofl:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Also, the wife was bitching about the meh tacos we made the other night (regular ground beef with spices added). So while we were out Sunday we went by a real Mexican grocery store (the one in SE is a joke) and they just happen to be having a killer meat sale. $2.99/lb for al pastor and asada. 3 lbs of pork al pastor and 2 pounds of carne asada, plus some fresh salsa and a few other random things you can only get there. Ever since I started using the uncooked tortillas, the usual ground beef "taco meat" just doesn't cut it.

Now the wife is shopping for a tortilla press. :rofl:
are you upgrading the shitter?