Quantcast

$$ Monday rain GMT $$

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
yup. first day of vacation, and it is pouring rain. I've decided today is the day to do give my samples for my blood work, so no coffee until after the tests are done. ugh. not a good way to start vacation.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I'll take the rain, At least it's cooler.

Got out for a ride both days this weekend, which almost never happens. Did a little in-ride trail work yesterday to hack the last of the thorns off the trail. A folding saw makes a pretty decent substitute for a machete:

IMG_3229.JPG

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Summer is in full swing here. Which means always busy doing something. Did get a nice long ride in yesterday.
Trail snack season is in full effect. It also runs at the same time as horse fly in your helmet season.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!!!

Blazing hot weekend. My son and I went out to the Eno river on Sat. morning and did some fishing at one of our favorite spots. It was so hot, we fished for only about an hour, and played in the water for the rest of the time. There were big fish swimming all around us like we weren't even there - everyone was trying to take advantage of the cooler water in that deep hole. The hike in wasn't bad in the morning, but when we hiked out that afternoon in 100deg. heat, it was a Bataan Death March to get back to the car.

Naps and tacos after that.

Y'all have a great day and carry much chill with you throughout.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Oh shoot its Monday, I guess I should get to work.

Whoever came up with the idea of two day weekends is an idiot.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Paddled around a lake, drank beer, rode my bike, drove around a ton in the Jeep, golfed my best 9 holes yet, multiple walks/fetch sessions with doggo, and did a bit of bike maintenance.

Best weekend ever, despite woman and child being away (or is that why the weekend was so good?....hmmm.....)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Successful weekend... Emerald Mt ride Friday, Divide Epic Saturday, and tubing every day. Hot for the Boat, which made for really good tubing.

I fear that @Full Trucker may very well be correct in that I am sadly between sizes on the Megatrail.

Now gotta motivate to get packed up and drive back to town...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Back at work after being off last week. Boo to that. Did manage to get in my first ride in a month yesterday and didn't feel like a complete bag of shit. I'll be making a point to get in some serious miles over the next two weeks so the 8/5 ride isn't a total death march.

Stopped mid-ride yesterday to watch a coyote hunt prairie dogs. It was unsuccessful finding breakfast but did poop in a prairie dog hole. Savage.

Also watched a tractor trailer take the straight line through a rotary coming out of Breckenridge this past Friday. Ripped the trailer from the cab and scattered the Bobcats and steam roller all over the joint. It was certainly quite a sight to see.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Back to work today. FTS is appallingly high right now. Temp sensor on the Subie started flashing at me when I pulled into the garage at work. Giddy. FTS.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Mornin!

Back at work after being off last week. Boo to that. Did manage to get in my first ride in a month yesterday and didn't feel like a complete bag of shit. I'll be making a point to get in some serious miles over the next two weeks so the 8/5 ride isn't a total death march.

Stopped mid-ride yesterday to watch a coyote hunt prairie dogs. It was unsuccessful finding breakfast but did poop in a prairie dog hole. Savage.

Also watched a tractor trailer take the straight line through a rotary coming out of Breckenridge this past Friday. Ripped the trailer from the cab and scattered the Bobcats and steam roller all over the joint. It was certainly quite a sight to see.
through a what?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Good morning Monkies! I'm now counting Mondays and today is one of 3 left for me, with some luck that will also mean just 3 more Monday Morning Quaterback conference calls. I haven't completely checked out but will have to keep the phone on mute in case I say what I really think...

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Another day of September/20th anniversary indecisiveness........ Do we---

Fly/drive to Seattle, take Alaskan cruise, visit Whistler upon return, or
Fly to Chicago, attend Chicagoland 400 NASCAR race, then road trip to Niagara Falls/Canadian side, or
Fly to the Carolinas and just road trip around, or
Drive up the CA/OR/WA coast, or

She does her thing, I fly to NZ for fishing/biking/hiking........

I think that last one is a stretch of the imagination.

Pulled the cranks on the Moonlander with intent of replacing chainrings. Cleaned everything up and discovered that

a) The replacement rings I bought are the wrong size.
b) The old rings do not seem excessively worn.
c) Bottom bracket bearings are just starting to get notchy.​

Meh.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'll be making a point to get in some serious miles over the next two weeks so the 8/5 ride isn't a total death march.
Wife was talking about this on the way back from Winter Park DH'ing yesterday. Is the Lenawee email chain a different ride and something good will still be ridden on the 5th?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
4x10 is the best.

I had an awesome weekend with a big ride on Saturday, then lots of nothing yesterday. Still tired somehow...

I'll be riding in WBP in about 4 weeks, and have started to think about the sorry state of my TR450... Might be time to learn how to lace a new rim on my rear wheel... It is pooched.

Also need to build up a new front wheel. The nukeproof hub I have won't stay tight, and can't keep the wheel firm/wiggle free in the fork.

The thought of riding my Nomad in the park makes me skerred. Both for me, and the bike. Would rather thrash my DH bike, methinks.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I call my 2000 Legacy wagon the "LOL"....cause that's what I do every time I get in it and see what else has has decided not to function in any given 24-hr. cycle...:bonk:
This is the first issue I've had with this Subaru. I heard a 'pop' while we were driving back from the airport yesterday, so I think this might be involved. I'll look at it tonight when I get home. Off to Subaru to get coolant and Safeway to get distilled water during my lunch.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Afternoon. Raining here but that's good because I can get some inside the house work done. Got the kids all packed for their camping weekend with the grandparents (which should be interesting for them to say the least). Worked on Monkeyfest ride plans a little & started thinking more about the menu. Seems smaller this year which is sad, but whatever, we will still consume many beers and have plenty of antics.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Successful weekend... Emerald Mt ride Friday, Divide Epic Saturday, and tubing every day. Hot for the Boat, which made for really good tubing.

I fear that @Full Trucker may very well be correct in that I am sadly between sizes on the Megatrail.

Now gotta motivate to get packed up and drive back to town...
Did all of the trees get cut out? Is the ride worth driving 6-7 hours for? I feel like I have unfinished business in Steamboat this year...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
4x10 is the best.

I had an awesome weekend with a big ride on Saturday, then lots of nothing yesterday. Still tired somehow...

I'll be riding in WBP in about 4 weeks, and have started to think about the sorry state of my TR450... Might be time to learn how to lace a new rim on my rear wheel... It is pooched.

Also need to build up a new front wheel. The nukeproof hub I have won't stay tight, and can't keep the wheel firm/wiggle free in the fork.

The thought of riding my Nomad in the park makes me skerred. Both for me, and the bike. Would rather thrash my DH bike, methinks.
Get the Jobst Brandt book on wheel building if you can find it. It's the best.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Get the Jobst Brandt book on wheel building if you can find it. It's the best.
@Da Peach - I learned to build wheels using the wheel chapter in Sheldon Brown's book (all online) and I've built easily 30 wheels, including every wheel I'm riding now, and all of which turned out great. DIY wheels is definitely worth doing.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What's the deal for 8/5, people? Email thread is dead.

I'm in Hawaii after a 20 hour travel day. Flight took off 7:34 after scheduled ultimately.