Quantcast

more Iron Horse DW Q's

Hans

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I know there has been a lot of threads about the new IHDWDH bike, but still I need more. Apparently there will be a frame/hub/something combo, but will IH offer a complete line somewhere along this years prices!?
Any techy details, pics and suchandsuch will be greatly appreciated :drool:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Hans said:
I know there has been a lot of threads about the new IHDWDH bike, but still I need more. Apparently there will be a frame/hub/something combo, but will IH offer a complete line somewhere along this years prices!?
Any techy details, pics and suchandsuch will be greatly appreciated :drool:
There will be two versions of this frame/bike:

1. USA made frame w/ proprietary tubing & 5th Element shock, DT-Hugi hub, e13 cups, FSA headset, & Thomson post.
2. Taiwan made bike with spec along the lines of the current SGS-DH Team & World Cup models.

Framesets will ONLY be USA made. Complete bikes will ONLY be Taiwan made.

Geometry info has been posted around. Lots of pics of the bike are floating around as well.

-ska todd

Hans

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thanx Todd! A couple more Q's: when is it gonna be out, is a danish distributor in the cards(if so pls let me know when), AND will it make me faster and/or cooler?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Hans said:
Thanx Todd! A couple more Q's: when is it gonna be out, is a danish distributor in the cards(if so pls let me know when), AND will it make me faster and/or cooler?

One more; du you guys accept trade ins? :D
Frames are scheduled for the fall and bikes for early winter. Delivery dates are of course dependant on component delivery from our vendors.

Faster - check
Cooler - check

Denmark? Not sure yet. The sales dept is always talking to potential distributors. Ask a distributor in your neck of the woods to drop us a line and get some bikes up your way.

Trade-in - nope. Sorry.

kidwoo said:
Where? I couldn't find it searching here. Any ideas?
hcor.net

-ska todd

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Todd Does it come in root beer? Because i'd be super duper huckmaster then.

Bike looks sex btw. I'd ride one then again i will ride anything...

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
150mm rear hub to go along with the new 83mm BB shell? Who is making 83mm BBs now, FSA/Truvaitv? and what size is the seatpost going to be that comes with it?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
mobius said:
Todd Does it come in root beer? Because i'd be super duper huckmaster then.
Nope, no rootbeer. This is a race bike.

RD said:
150mm rear hub to go along with the new 83mm BB shell? Who is making 83mm BBs now, FSA/Truvaitv? and what size is the seatpost going to be that comes with it?
FSA, Truvativ, & Shimano will all have 83mm BBs for 05. The post will be 30.0mm.

Pip3r said:
woa woa woa.... most importantly, is it going to come in monster energy green?!?!?!?!
Sam wants a Monster green bike so maybe. The frame kits will be imola yellow, jazz blue, or black magic pearl.

narlus said:
what hell is monster energy green?

for a bawstonian, you should know there's only MONSTER green.
http://www.monsterenergy.com/

Sam Hill wouldn't know what Fenway was if it fell from the sky and kit him in the head. They don't do baseball in Perth. He'll explain cricket to you though if you ask.

-ska todd

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
ska todd said:
Nope, no rootbeer. This is a race bike.

FSA, Truvativ, & Shimano will all have 83mm BBs for 05. The post will be 30.0mm.

Sam wants a Monster green bike so maybe. The frame kits will be imola yellow, jazz blue, or black magic pearl.

http://www.monsterenergy.com/

-ska todd

See i heard that Monster green weakens the molecules in the frame which intern makes the bike flexy (not good for a freeride bike).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
monster energy is a rather progressive company, judging from some of things they are sponsoring. don't let the IH-owning homophobes know about this one, they might try to burn their bike.

Hans

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
ska todd said:
Frames are scheduled for the fall and bikes for early winter. Delivery dates are of course dependant on component delivery from our vendors.

Faster - check
Cooler - check

-So then will it make me fast&cool enough to get sponsored? :cool:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
17"
HA= 65.4
SA= 64.4
Eff TT= 23.6"
CS= 17.24"
WB= 45.25"
BB= 13.9"

19"
HA= 65.4
SA= 64.4
Eff TT= 24.6"
CS= 17.24"
WB= 46.25"
BB= 13.9"

Geometry w/ an 8" Boxxer fork and e13 reducer cups. Will slack BB 1/2 degree and raise BB .25" w/ standard lower headset cup.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
manhattanprjkt83 said:
yeah they need to make that s4 blue i dont know the name of the color but it is the business :eviltongu
apparently they are, it's jazz blue (i think audi called it aegan blue or something like that but it's the same color).

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
Allright, I searched all over for pictures but found nothing.
I had seen a Hollowpoint that sombody on the forums has. Is that it?
I've been hearing so much, but seen so little. Anybody willing to post up a few links or somthing?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
narlus said:
is it me, or do those coils look tight? the rocker arm looks teeny too - what's the travel on the frame?
I have been wanting to ask someone about the coils. The only thing that I can think of is that the linkage must generate some sort of crazy falling rate (I think? Sorry if backwards) and the numerous coils make the shock's progression as linear as possible.

Anyone know the truth?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Repack said:
I have been wanting to ask someone about the coils. The only thing that I can think of is that the linkage must generate some sort of crazy falling rate (I think? Sorry if backwards) and the numerous coils make the shock's progression as linear as possible.

Anyone know the truth?
Lots and lots of the same size coils will only make the spring rate harder - not more progressive. Besides, it's a 5th Element. It can be tuned to make it more progressive - don't need a progressive coil.

At a guess? It's just a heavy spring for a big guy riding it. Dunno whose bike that is.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
narlus said:
is it me, or do those coils look tight? the rocker arm looks teeny too - what's the travel on the frame?
That is a steel 3" stroke 300# spring. It has a pretty tight wind to it. Frame travel is 8".

binary visions said:
At a guess? It's just a heavy spring for a big guy riding it. Dunno whose bike that is.
Nope, that is Bryn Atkinson's bike. He weighs around 175. I think he had a 300# spring on his bike at Otter. Production bikes are due to have 275# springs.

-ska todd

BostonBullit

Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Medway, MA
I jacked DWs personal ride for a bit at Mt Snow and all I can say is that it made the road I was on feel paved! oh wait, it was paved....hmm....

oh, and it's dreaaammy

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
binary visions said:
Lots and lots of the same size coils will only make the spring rate harder - not more progressive. Besides, it's a 5th Element. It can be tuned to make it more progressive - don't need a progressive coil.

I was trying to say what Ska Todd said in the next post. More winds = linear. The frame has such a falling rate that it needs as sensitive a spring as possible. Say each wind on a sprng can easily be compressed 1mm. On a i spring with say 8 winds, the bike would ride very stiff. Now take a steel spring of the same weight with twice as many winds. The spring will be much more sensitive.
It is along the same lines as why springs are sized by weight and stroke length. I am doing a horrible job explaining it. But SkaTodd already did so I'm off to get my early afternoon (breakfast) coffee.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
TWISTED said:
Hey Todd are you going to say where the "made in the USA" frame will be manufactured? :sneaky: :)
i know i know, but im not sure if should say. :sneaky:

I too snaged DWs bike and took it for a 5min ride, and damn that thing is amazing, ive never felt a bike that pedals that good, yet feels so plush and reactive

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Repack said:
I was trying to say what Ska Todd said in the next post. More winds = linear. The frame has such a falling rate that it needs as sensitive a spring as possible. Say each wind on a sprng can easily be compressed 1mm. On a i spring with say 8 winds, the bike would ride very stiff. Now take a steel spring of the same weight with twice as many winds. The spring will be much more sensitive.
It is along the same lines as why springs are sized by weight and stroke length. I am doing a horrible job explaining it. But SkaTodd already did so I'm off to get my early afternoon (breakfast) coffee.
i'm not following this explanation. by this logic wouldn't ti springs ride awful since they have comparatively fewer coils (at least the ones i've seen)?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hmm, i take back that assertion then. but i still want to know how/if coil count affects linearity and response.

http://www.rpmnet.com/techart/spring.shtml <-- has lots of info and looked promising at the start but i didn't see anything about this issue when glancing through it

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Repack said:

i find it hard to believe that DW, of all people, would design a bike with a falling rate and use a shock to compensate. if it does though, what's the explanation behind that? i thought falling rates were bad?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Repack said:
Just an FYI, the bike does not have a falling leverage rate in any way that can be noticed by a rider. Im not going to talk too much more about what it really does, but I can guarantee you that the linkage system and the damper work together in harmony, not one compensating for the other.

dw