Quantcast

Morewood Ndiza ST

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Have you ridden a Blur 4X or Specialized SX? I'm looking at one of the 3 for a trail/DJ/4X bike, and I'm wondering how they compare. How did you feel trailriding it? Was it fun or just plain sketch?

Thanks!

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Haven't ridden the Blur 4x. The Ndiza would fit the 4x/DJ bike spec. As a trail bike its a bit too much I think. Depending on your height, you'd have to have the seat pretty high up to ride it as a trail bike. The bike feels best when ridden aggressively.

The SX would be a better bet of the two if you were looking for a trail/DJ/4x bike, can't comment on the Blur though. Take away the Trail category and I'd pick the Ndiza.

edit:I haven't ridden one but maybe the Shova ST ?

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Have you ridden a Blur 4X or Specialized SX? I'm looking at one of the 3 for a trail/DJ/4X bike, and I'm wondering how they compare. How did you feel trailriding it? Was it fun or just plain sketch?

Thanks!
none of the bikes are ideal for trail riding, but out of the three listed the ndiza sounds like your best bet.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, I think I just need to ride them all. I really like all 3.

I'm going to be riding a combo of fireroads, short course DH (ala Sea Otter), flatter DH trails, and DJs. But I like a really flickable bike, and I had a Specialzied Enduro that was too beefy. My Stumpjumper wasn't quite solid enough to really throw it around.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I've ridden all three, and for me nothing felt better then the Ndiza. I love mine, deeply. Its fast, rails out of corners, holds speed like a champ, and tracks like its 6" longer.

I just bought the Ndiza HT and the Izumu DH based on riding this bike last season. I love the damn thing...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Alright. I'm 6' and growing still, with huge arms. Will the long be long enough for me if I like a fairly roomy cockpit?

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Alright. I'm 6' and growing still, with huge arms. Will the long be long enough for me if I like a fairly roomy cockpit?
i spent a couple minutes riding a friends small and at 6'2 with long arms (obviously) i was suprisingly content. with a 50mm easton vice it felt pretty good. based on that, i think a large would be perfect for what you want to do. i should be building a large up as a 4x race bike for next season and i can't wait.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Right on. The Blur and Izumi both sound good. I can get a hookup on either (and the Spec. too) so the prices are all similar. Plus the Blur and Izumi have full length seattubes, which is pretty important for me.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Maybe someone can comment who's ridden the blur 4x, but i would think that it would eat your pedaling a little bit being a VPP.

The Ndiza really puts power to the ground quite amazingly. It's borderline ridiculous in part due to it being pretty much locked out completely in the rear end until you need it. Its like sprinting on a hardtail.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
VPP is known for pedalling well, though?

The thing I'm worried about is the trails I would be riding are really not smooth at all. I'm looking at a mini DH bike that is very very quick handling and can DJ, not a 4x only bike. And the Blur is marketed as being trail-bike ready and it's been said it feels like a mini DH bike. But both sound sick, and I like how the pedalling sounds on the Morewood.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Yea i can see where you're coming from.

The Ndiza doesn't have a front derailleur mount if you were planning on running a double/tripple, although you may be able to rig one.

Not knocking VPP's pedaling well, but this is like a hardtail when sprinting.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
No, I'd be running a chainguide and a 32/34t.

Yeah, I have heard that. If it can take bumps like I hope it can then I'm pretty much sold.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I've ridden the Blur, the Spec, and the Ndiza.

By far and away, the Ndiza puts the power down way harder. It also jumps better then either of them...

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
This really isn't a trail bike, its purpose built.

I guess you could run an BB mounted der, but I'm not sure.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I wouldn't want a derailleur. Think mini DH on trails and jumps, not "trail" riding.

Would you happen to have a pic handy?

BTW sorry for the derail...

NeilBey

Chimp
Feb 3, 2006
Haven't ridden the Blur 4x. The Ndiza would fit the 4x/DJ bike spec. As a trail bike its a bit too much I think. Depending on your height, you'd have to have the seat pretty high up to ride it as a trail bike. The bike feels best when ridden aggressively.

The SX would be a better bet of the two if you were looking for a trail/DJ/4x bike, can't comment on the Blur though. Take away the Trail category and I'd pick the Ndiza.

edit:I haven't ridden one but maybe the Shova ST ?
Hey Jason, awesome review on the Ndiza man.

I actually own the Ndiza ST as my 'do-everything' bike. Although the frame is not covered under warranty if the bike is used for trail-riding, it does make an awesome trail bike. Maybe we should release the Ndiza ST in trail-bike form? What do you think? Maybe change that top-tube a little? :lighten:

I've followed my brother (Geritt Beytagh - Morewood Factory team) on some local downhill trails into some major rock sections (Vermont Yard-Sale kind of stuff) and the bike gets me through it; although my sanity gets left behind!

Thanks for the review Jason. The folks here are all extremely impressed with the quality of the review.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Hey Jason, awesome review on the Ndiza man.

I actually own the Ndiza ST as my 'do-everything' bike. Although the frame is not covered under warranty if the bike is used for trail-riding, it does make an awesome trail bike. Maybe we should release the Ndiza ST in trail-bike form? What do you think? Maybe change that top-tube a little? :lighten:

I've followed my brother (Geritt Beytagh - Morewood Factory team) on some local downhill trails into some major rock sections (Vermont Yard-Sale kind of stuff) and the bike gets me through it; although my sanity gets left behind!

Thanks for the review Jason. The folks here are all extremely impressed with the quality of the review.
Cool, glad you guys like it.

Now what are you calling trail riding? Because the times i took this on the trail, I found myself trying to manual on the trail, blast out of berms, pop off of small roots/rocks, and I never sat down.

The fact that you're following Geritt makes me think that it wasn't trail bike speeds let alone a trail ride.
Climbing on the Ndiza, although i didn't do much the front end would want to lift ever so slightly (i wonder why).
Taking this thing on a trail isn't your conventional trail ride. :imstupid:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
VPP is known for pedalling well, though?

The thing I'm worried about is the trails I would be riding are really not smooth at all. I'm looking at a mini DH bike that is very very quick handling and can DJ, not a 4x only bike. And the Blur is marketed as being trail-bike ready and it's been said it feels like a mini DH bike. But both sound sick, and I like how the pedalling sounds on the Morewood.
I can't compare the pedaling characteristics of the Blur to the Morewood, but I can say that mini DH bike is a very apt description of the blur...it pedals very well IMO, or at least well enought that I've never thought of it as a slacker in that department. It also does remarkably well in the rough given it's travel. I've got a pike (love the travel adjust) on mine and feel comfortable hanging it out on some of the rougher trails in the NC mountains. I like the way the blur jumps as well...

Attachments

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The fact that the Morewood isn't covered under warranty when you trail ride, and the Blur is more designed for it sway my opinion. Only a seat of the pants evaluation will tell though.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'm loving the new crop of short travel bikes coming out, i'm such a hardtail junkie that once my yeti as-x decides to check out or i get bored with it and have enough cash, i'll probably opt for a short travel bike to replace it. the yeti 4X, SC blur 4X and ndiza st both look tempting, i must say i'm partial to the looks of the yeti and morewood though.

NeilBey

Chimp
Feb 3, 2006
The fact that the Morewood isn't covered under warranty when you trail ride, and the Blur is more designed for it sway my opinion. Only a seat of the pants evaluation will tell though.

Well, it is designed for 4x, DS and DJ (in that order) only. When trying to trail ride, one has to raise the saddle quite considerably and that puts stresses on the top tube/seat tube junction that the frame was not designed for.

NeilBey

Chimp
Feb 3, 2006
Cool, glad you guys like it.

Now what are you calling trail riding? Because the times i took this on the trail, I found myself trying to manual on the trail, blast out of berms, pop off of small roots/rocks, and I never sat down.

The fact that you're following Geritt makes me think that it wasn't trail bike speeds let alone a trail ride.
Climbing on the Ndiza, although i didn't do much the front end would want to lift ever so slightly (i wonder why).
Taking this thing on a trail isn't your conventional trail ride. :imstupid:
True... Geritt's trail speed isn't exactly 'trail' speed. That was a strictly shuttle ride though. You're right about the Ndiza though. It is more like a mini DH bike than a trail bike. I did some shuttle runs with ProFro (aka Doug Ferg.) this weekend and the bike was ripping on the technical stuff. And it just begs to be hopped and skipped over rocks, roots and anything else that looks like it'll launch you. Although I have found that if I'm doing some local trails, it rides really well. It'll get you to the top of the DH trail.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
True... Geritt's trail speed isn't exactly 'trail' speed. That was a strictly shuttle ride though. You're right about the Ndiza though. It is more like a mini DH bike than a trail bike. I did some shuttle runs with ProFro (aka Doug Ferg.) this weekend and the bike was ripping on the technical stuff. And it just begs to be hopped and skipped over rocks, roots and anything else that looks like it'll launch you. Although I have found that if I'm doing some local trails, it rides really well. It'll get you to the top of the DH trail.
What trail did you and Doug ride? I rode with Doug at Bigfoot one day.

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
i gotta say all the folks at Morewood have been fantastic to deal with. (just snagged a Shova ST) and i can't resist tossing up pix of my Ndiza ST:
:monkeydance:

BlackElvis

Chimp
Dec 5, 2007
Slovenia, Europe
Hello guys!

I have a chance to buy basically new Ndiza 06 frame (second hand). How good it is at uphilling and xc riding? I would use it for trail riding and some 4x and dj (training for dh)

Currently i own GIANT XTC bike upgraded so it can be used on a bit rougher terrain (sherman flick, saint, ex721) and i am going to put all my existant gear to ndiza. But the problem with giant is that cant be used for dj or 4x beacuse im afraid of cracking frame.

Ive seen the reviews at sicklines and farkin and now im seeking for some firsthand informations.

Simply put, it is a kick arse frame – think of it as a race bike you can trail ride, or a trail bike you can jump rhythms on, or a jump frame you can race on.
Thanks

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Ahh another frame resurrection. The ndiza is a great bike for 4x,ds, and djs. I have the Shova LT and if i were to ever go for a shorter travel fully to use for ds i would either choose a ndiza st. Most of the Morewood line is designed to be quick and maneuverable so i guess they could be said to have a more race inspired design because of their relatively low standover heights. Most of the drive behind Morewood i believe is creating a fast bike anyway. Like Neil said a while back in this thread is that because there is a good standover height that means that the junction of the top tube and seat tube is lower than that of an all mountain bike. Thus if you were to put your seat up to a xc height you would have a considerably lesser amount of seat post remaining in the frame which is a recipe for disaster. So it basically boils down to this, go ahead and snag yourself the ndiza cause its a great bike. Its light and nimble and ready to rail. If you want to go ride xc.. well you might just want to pick up some cheap parts and put the giant back together with those for the occasional trail ride. Hope this helps.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Yea, the Blur 4x is on my list to try out.
Well if you are thinking about buying a Blur4x i can say the NdizaST is quicker!
Yeah the Blur feels a little plusher,but think of all those pivots you have to lube.Plus they get rocks into the swingarm which you have to shake out & takes a while.
My riding friend has a Blur4x & the geometry is ok but not as good as my 05NdizaST with 4.5" of travel standard..
The HA is too steep on the Blur4x with a 145mm Nixon, compared to my 2005 NdizaST which is slacker with a 130mm fork!

pbskis14

Chimp
Apr 24, 2003
I too am in the exact same dilemma... Rode the Izumu all last year for DH and loved it, now I’m looking for a fun 'mini dh' bike that wont kill me on xc rides. Granted I don’t strap on the spandex when I go out for xc but we do put down some decent miles.

My problem is, as soon as we get to a downhill or find some jumps/gaps etc. on our xc rides I cant resist and my current Enduro is not happy..

I noticed for '08 the Ndiza comes with a beefed up seat tube gusset..Does trail riding still void the warranty even with the beefed up gusset for '08??

-Pete