Quantcast

most unnecessary bike parts

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado

Probably the rarest and most exotic of all downhill mountain bikes, the Apocalypse is equipped with a double action suspension inspired by the landing gear of an aircraft. It uses a combination of either 2.75 coil and 1.5 air shock or 3.0 coil and 1.5 air shock, giving it between 12 and 12.5 inches of rear travel. This bike offers a smooth, bottomless feel that has no equal on rough downhill courses. It is completely unique in performance and design, proven on racecourses and legendary stunt drops of over 40 feet!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
good one...I think the softride was one of the worst bike inventions ever! Who the hell wants a bike that changes the riders position with every bump on the road...D
What's funny is the road bike was actually kinda nice. The mountain bike, however created a seated catapult effect that was awesome.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
What's funny is the road bike was actually kinda nice. The mountain bike, however created a seated catapult effect that was awesome.
Don't forget Softails, URT, and Slingshot bikes...

You can still get Slingshot bikes:

http://www.slingshotbikes.com/

Hey at least they mention all the crappy ones:

"Shockster Seatpost Suspension Full Suspension (URT Design)"

They forgot softtail. Those take the cake especially when they are undamped:busted:

Oh and slingshot and softride...

Damn this new softride product actually looks kinda useful - WTH? Has anyone checked it out before:

http://www.softride.com/rack-products/specifications/versa_rack

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Hell no, I rock a Bullit.
I think that bike is more of a "not for everyone" category rather then unnecessary. Karpiel had an awesome suspension design (and I would still love to rock a Disco if I could find one on the cheap). For something like Red Bull Rampage or some seriously harsh DH race courses, that bike is perfect.

For the average Joe, that bike is a bit much.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What's wrong with ano? Have you seen Giant's new ano finishes - polished, bead blast, and anodized - they look great and its durable. After owning various finishes I would pick a good anodized finish if available.
Anodizing big stuff, like frames, costs more than paint. I agree that Giant's stuff looks great, and that ano is a nice finish, but there are some situations where paying for that isn't reasonable.

And as for raw, aluminum corrodes. Raw frames often have a clear coat. And I don't like the look of raw aluminum very much.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
Anodizing big stuff, like frames, costs more than paint. I agree that Giant's stuff looks great, and that ano is a nice finish, but there are some situations where paying for that isn't reasonable.

And as for raw, aluminum corrodes. Raw frames often have a clear coat. And I don't like the look of raw aluminum very much.
how can it be that expensive? i mean what do they have to do, dip it in acip then charg it and dip in in the ano?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I love it. I use it all the time. Saves my Taint and balls from serouis abuse.

I ride a large Bullit and am 6'5. My seatpost has to be really high when I ride xc.

I use it an endless amount of times on a ride.
I completely agree with all of this (except the 6' 5" part). I hate trail riding without one now.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I completely agree with all of this (except the 6' 5" part). I hate trail riding without one now.
The hills/climbs aren't long enough in the East to justify it. You'd spend too much time putting it up and down rendering these posts unnecessary here. I tried one for a while and went back to a compromise height on a standard seatpost I use most of the time unless shuttling or occasional obstacle that requires slammed but in those cases 3-4" of adjustment on posts wouldn't help anyways...