Quantcast

Motorcycle Helmets; Mand[a]tory or Not?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Our state has a helmet law but is considering repealing it making it mandatory for riders 18 and under.

Pretty dumb to ride a moto without a helmet considering that is the one piece of safety gear that can save your life in an accident.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
should the state foot the bill for injuries related to non helm use for under/non insured bikers?
Not at all. Everyone knows what the consequence is if you go down without a helmet, so you should be on your own.

same with seatbelt laws?
Yes I feel the same ab out seatbelts. Our law enforcement has more important things to deal with other than forcing someone to care about there personal safety.

P.S. I agree with the under 18 part.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
If people feel it should be mandatory for helmets, then we are taking personal responsibilty away from people.

What about one day when its mandatory that you wear full body armor and a Leatt brace anytime your on a Mountain bike.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Who is this Mandi Tory and what does she have to do with motorcycle helmets??

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
These are what I refer to as "Stupidity Laws", in that they are protecting people from their own stupidity. Stupid people do stupid things for a reason. That reason, is nature's failsafe - natural selection. These laws are effectively stopping natural selection, and are fvcking with evolution. This is ensuring that the human race, as a whole, is fvcked. 1,000 years from now we're going to be going to St God's Memorial Hospital, and our great nation will be led by President Camacho.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
These are what I refer to as "Stupidity Laws", in that they are protecting people from their own stupidity. Stupid people do stupid things for a reason. That reason, is nature's failsafe - natural selection. These laws are effectively stopping natural selection, and are fvcking with evolution. This is ensuring that the human race, as a whole, is fvcked. 1,000 years from now we're going to be going to St God's Memorial Hospital, and our great nation will be led by President Camacho.

Idiocracy anyone???

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
I dont belive it should be mandatory.

But at the same time I belive you to be retarded for not wearing a helmet
Same, but I do see where they are coming from when they make it mandatory. However, if you wanna end your life because you werent wearing a helmet, its your perogative (sp?). Even with a helmet, the chances of surviving a moto crash where you would actually need your helmet is slim (at least more slim than in a car naturally. Im not saying you wont survive)

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
:clapping:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I'm just curious why you think it should be dependent on age?
As an adult you earn the right to let yourself come to harm.

As a minor this is an incidental privilege granted to you by your elders.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Most, if not all, states do not require any kind of insurance to ride a motorcycle.
The problem with the "personal responsibility" argument (which I agree with on principle) is that people are stupid.
When somebody gets hurt, either their insurance or the state picks up the tab. Meaning, it's either higher insurance premiums or higher taxes for everyone else who isn't stupid, but is responsible enough to pay their taxes and insurance.
States enact these laws (seatbelt, moto helmet, bike helmet, etc) so that their costs and your insurance costs will be lower.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
PA just repealed our helmet law. You know some actuary concluded it would be cheaper for insurance companies if riders in accidents didn't have helmets during crashes. Probably cheaper to let them die. There is no way in hell the insurance lobby would let that law get repealed if they weren't going to save money.

Again,most of you know my views, I don't like being forced to wear a helmet, even though I do wear one. But I contradict myself b/c I like the mandatory until you're 18 or first 2 years rule - that's when you do stupid stuff.

Sometimes I don't wear a seatbelt around town. When I get lectured I just say, okay, let me go home and ride my motorcycle there. Ironically, two people that lectured me about belts encouraged me to take on relatively fast cycle rides. Sheeple.

Personally, I don't want to see some guy or girls brains splattered on the road because he or she didn't want to wear a helmet.

So yeah, MANDATORY because it's all about ME.

(seriously though, I used to ride with my dad on his motorcycle. usually, cars do stupid things and anybody going up against one without a brain bucket is just dumb)

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I know it's easy to extend the argument incrementally.

Maybe not life vests. If you drown, you seldom wind up damaged, so ongoing societal cost is low.
I always hear this societal cost. How about sports like ours, horse back riding, skiing, skate boarding?? All these contribute to many ER visits increasing all our premiums. Should these me illegal or more costly?? Either you have freedom or you don't. If you simplify it to cost, then we should just work, watch TV, spend money on what they tell us to buy on TV and so on until an economical cycle count death.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I always hear this societal cost. How about sports like ours, horse back riding, skiing, skate boarding?? All these contribute to many ER visits increasing all our premiums. Should these me illegal or more costly?? Either you have freedom or you don't. If you simplify it to cost, then we should just work, watch TV, spend money on what they tell us to buy on TV and so on until an economical cycle count death.
That'd make a great movie!

You could have some rebels -- Wynona Ryder, Natalie Portman, and Milla Jovavich -- looking for Sanctuary. Then a pillow fight.

Am I right?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Helmets: Only optional for stupid people.

<edit> I guess if it's optional, then the stupid people would be the ones without, so I'm all for it.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
What's the point of helmets when the squids around here are riding the latest go-fast bike wearing shorts, wife beater, flip flops, and cool Oakley shades? Rarely see any rider actually geared up for a ride anymore.