Quantcast

Motorcycle vs. Car ...warnning 18 + pics....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Saw this back when there was only half a page of responces, but i was on the way to work, checked out site, I have seen it before, bunch of new stuff now. I can say i like that site, Anyone thinking about beginning to ride a Motorcycle NEEDS to see that site, i have been riding Moorcycles for as long as i can remember, Sites like that are always a good reminder that you can only count on yourself to be safe. And a great reminder of what happens when you dont look out for yourself. Thank you for posting this, i had forgotten about the site, and i have been looking for something like this to send to a friend of mine who is just beginning to ride. And just like the site say's Look twice, Save a life.....Motorcycles are Everywhere!!!!

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
llkoolkeg said:
Over the years, I have personally witnessed two NASTY bike accidents on MD RTE 140, both caused by the same moron move that led to three of my cars being totaled- an impatient prick in a car trying to turn off a divided highway onto a perpendicular road w/o enough room to do so...or in policespeak, failure to yield right-of-way. (Roethlisberger say what!) People, show a little fargin' patience and don't cross in front of opposing lanes unless you have more than a large enough gap in traffic to do so! When I was a kid, my mom bounced a drunk motorcyclist a good 50' with the big bumper of our early 70's Chevy Nova, sending her and my sister to the hospital and the cyclist's jellied remnants to the morgue. Just last week, RTE 140 was closed in both directions for hours while officials collected the strewn remains of a cyclist lost in a battle with a tractor-trailer. I will never again ride a two-wheeler on the road because of all the stupid $hit things I've seen people do in cars.
I was sitting watching them clean up that accident. It was actually a guy being a dumbass turning off of glen falls. I live right on 140 out to westminster. You know that bar/restaurant the northstar ? I live directly down the goresmill road across from the northstar.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
AFter having driven a beer can on wheels (read: Geo Metro) for a bunch of years, I no longer feel the need to tempt death by riding a motorscooter.

To the rest of you, be safe and good luck.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
reflux said:
AFter having driven a beer can on wheels (read: Geo Metro) for a bunch of years, I no longer feel the need to tempt death by riding a motorscooter.

To the rest of you, be safe and good luck.
Sorry bout your luck dude.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Westy said:
So were the 22% riders who died under the influence killed by the fault of an auto driver.

Too bad cameras are a modern invention. It would be cool to have a website showing pictures demonstrating the severed limbs, crushed skulls and dangling bowels medieval weapons produced.
Did I say ALL? Did I post statistical info? You act like you're on a crusade to prove that all accidents are the motorcyclists fault. :rolleyes: I said MOST, not all.

Also -
Most medieval battle injuries were stabbings to the torso, crushing blows to the head, or stabbing blows to the head. And you were lucky if you died due to a head injury. Many soldiers bled to death on the battlefield over the course of a few days. Chopped off limbs were also fairly common on some battle fields. Roman armies generally stabbed their enemies as they generally worked as a cohesive unit in formation with a shield wall and spears. So you would likely see less chopped off limbs than stabbing wounds. Now the Norse Vikings... they we're brutal.

Watch BRAVEHEART. Mel Gibson may be a loon and the armor and costumes are not historically accurate but much of the battle scenes are spot on.

Damn it. You made me geek out again!

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
dan wask said:
I was sitting watching them clean up that accident. It was actually a guy being a dumbass turning off of glen falls. I live right on 140 out to westminster. You know that bar/restaurant the northstar ? I live directly down the goresmill road across from the northstar.
In your estimation, which driver was to blame for the accident? I am very familiar with the Northstar by sight but have never eaten there. I do often stop at Full Moon for brews and jerk wings on the way home towards Emmitsburg, though. The stretch of 140 between Northstar past Full Moon and to the bottom of the hill by the reservoir has been the site of SO MANY nasty tractor trailer accidents over the last 6 months. There was also a bad one on the way in just this past Wednesday AM in the eastbound lanes right across from that Royal Farms store. The car I saw them dragging out of the road had no roof left whatsoever and was split in half between the front and back seats like a cracked eggshell. The medivac helicopter was just taking off by the time I got close. I wish my wife and kids never had to go anywhere by car, it's so damned dangerous.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
From what I heard it was the guy pulling out from glen falls. I believe he didn't look when he pulled out and got hit by the dump truck and then somewhere in between they took out the biker.

On the subject of the blue moon, super good burgers.
Also that stretch of resivoir by the bridge is where most of my trails are, and there are some hella good fishing spots back there for carp and bass.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
MudGrrl said:
I'm not clickin' on those pics....

but am considering getting a moto, so y'all hope that I don't get smushed, ok?
FYI: If you are going to get a bike, you need to know what you're up against. You can probably go through the ones at the top, but either they get worse as you scroll down, or as you scroll you go into graphic-image sensory overload, I'm not sure which. I couldn't make it all the way to the bottom...

If you do get a bike, be sure to enroll in a 2-day safety and skills class. I found it very beneficial.

My husband commutes on a Suzuki 750 with his kevlar pants and bright orange vest over his jacket. I occasionally take the bike out wearing similar gear. Seeing the graphic images reminds me what I'm up against. Yeah, statistics are against us on a street bike, but I suppose we're willing to take those odds.

(It's the accidents involving motorcycle safety instructors that really bother me)

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
dan wask said:
From what I heard it was the guy pulling out from glen falls. I believe he didn't look when he pulled out and got hit by the dump truck and then somewhere in between they took out the biker.
The usual...failure to yield right-of-way by another thoughtless, impatient dumba$$. Too bad the wages of stupidity must be disbursed to blameless bystanders and not solely to he who fvcked up.

dan wask said:
On the subject of the blue moon, super good burgers.
I've never tried a burger there 'cause I'm such a creature of habit. I always get the same thing- the happy hour wing special. A plateful of jerk wings(correct dry-rub style) with a pitcher of Yuengling. Even including a $3.50 tip, it only sets me back $15.

dan wask said:
Also that stretch of resivoir by the bridge is where most of my trails are, and there are some hella good fishing spots back there for carp and bass.
Ya don't say? I've never biked there but have noted the pull-off gravel lots and toyed with the idea of stopping and checking it out. Now about those honey holes, I've never tried fishing there because the water is so shallow and the bottom so soft and muddy-looking. It appeared from the road to be more of a place for bottom-feeders like carp and cats, but good bassing also, ya say? Do go on, Dan... :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Jeronimo said:
I find the simpering in this thread hilarious. I've been riding for 25 years and will continue to do so.
There is no doubt that riding is a risk, playing with automobiles on a vehicle with nothing more than a helmet and some clothes will always put you at a disadvantage. But if you ride smart, look ahead for problems and plan out ways to avoid them before it happens you greatly decrease your chances of getting hurt. That is one of the reasons why I like to ride. I don't worry about work or money I'm just focused on the road and what is happening around me. It still is dangerous but a better option than leading a sheltered life in fear of what can happen to you.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Westy said:
There is no doubt that riding is a risk, playing with automobiles on a vehicle with nothing more than a helmet and some clothes will always put you at a disadvantage. But if you ride smart, look ahead for problems and plan out ways to avoid them before it happens you greatly decrease your chances of getting hurt. That is one of the reasons why I like to ride. I don't worry about work or money I'm just focused on the road and what is happening around me. It still is dangerous but a better option than leading a sheltered life in fear of what can happen to you.
:stupid:

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
llkoolkeg said:
Ya don't say? I've never biked there but have noted the pull-off gravel lots and toyed with the idea of stopping and checking it out. Now about those honey holes, I've never tried fishing there because the water is so shallow and the bottom so soft and muddy-looking. It appeared from the road to be more of a place for bottom-feeders like carp and cats, but good bassing also, ya say? Do go on, Dan... :D
As far as riding goes theres alot of rocky descents and climbs. Definatley some super tech fire trails. I've been doing the more gnarly downhills and pushing back up because theres no real good way to shuttle.

Some areas are soft and silty, others are rocky. The rocky out-cropings usually have a steep drop off and the bass like to hang under there. Some of the bass spots have small trails to get to them, others can only be accesed by bass boats/kayaks. Back on Nicodemus road there is another bridge that is over fished harcore, but if you go down a little way there are alot more parking spots with good spots, you just need a local docal to show you around.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
Organ doners, as my dad and many in the medical profession call them. My uncle has been involved in several very serious motorcycle accidents, but has always been lucky. I never really understand it when I go to other states and see people actually riding without helmets. Some scary pics on that site.

Now, not to try and take away from that, there was atleast one cool pic on there. This chick would get LIT UP in a crash:

Attachments

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
konabiker said:
I never really understand it when I go to other states and see people actually riding without helmets.
Since my accident I don't understand how people can ride without a full face... I kinda like my face where it is.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Jeronimo said:
I find the simpering in this thread hilarious. I've been riding for 25 years and will continue to do so.

Good for you Bro, I havent been riding for 25 years yet, but i plan on continuing to ride for a very long time. I am willing to bet that your 25 years came from knowing your limits and keeping a good eye out. Again, i really like that website, cide from a few things, but generally it works well, to let people know what Can happen, and what the result of a crash may be.

Now i know people are gonna laugh/argue/say no way.... But......One thing i Belive Helps, not alot, but does contribute to a Bikers safety, is people knowing your presence. Loud Pipes!!!!! I know i know, people cant hear you right?????? I dont for one second belive that, Example for ya from this morning, and this is were the pipes make a difference, Parking lot....... i Pulled in, gave teh pipes a wrappp.... didnt think much of it, but about 20 minutes later in the store someone came to me, told me he didnt see me, but he Heard me so he stopped where he was untill he saw me. He was in front of me getting ready to Pull out, and as he tells it, he figured he would stop vs take a chance of Pullingout in front of a bike he couldnt see, but knew was tehre from HEARING it. Will pipes Help on the freeway??? Not a chance. Are loud Pipes something that should be thought of as a safety item?... Nope, Fact, Only real reason My exhaust is loud, is it is a Byproduct of a performance exhaust. Oh and by no means am i saying that just being heard make a difference, the rider is still the only person who can make the ride safer!!!

Jeronimo

Monkey
Jul 11, 2006
behind that boulder
Westy said:
But if you ride smart, look ahead for problems and plan out ways to avoid them before it happens you greatly decrease your chances of getting hurt.
It's called defensive riding and makes good motorcycle riders the best car drivers. My golden rule is that if someone looks like they are going to pull a dumbass move, they will and nine time out of ten, they do.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
MudGrrl said:
I'm not clickin' on those pics....

but am considering getting a moto, so y'all hope that I don't get smushed, ok?
Did you take a class?

As for risk, if you're not out riding, you increase the risk of being home when it catches fire :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
one of the most useful lessons of that site is to keep your bike in gear at stop signs and lights, ready to throttle onto a sidewalk for that random idiot who's not paying attention.

My MSF instructor had to jump up onto a sidewalk one time, so she emphasized this.

Jeronimo

Monkey
Jul 11, 2006
behind that boulder
LordOpie said:
one of the most useful lessons of that site is to keep your bike in gear at stop signs and lights, ready to throttle onto a sidewalk for that random idiot who's not paying attention.

My MSF instructor had to jump up onto a sidewalk one time, so she emphasized this.
It's legal to split lanes where I live and I always do (stopped traffic) at signals if there is enough room. That way, I'm greatly reducing my risk of becoming a moto-sandwich from that clueless cell phone talker/drunk/cardiac geriatric/etc. who rear ends another motorist. Clear intersections, I leave it in gear and always have an "out".

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
konabiker said:
Now, not to try and take away from that, there was atleast one cool pic on there. This chick would get LIT UP in a crash:
If they drove down the street like that, a crash could all but be guaranteed! :drool: How could you see something like that roll by and not drive into the car in front of you. Talk about waxed like a ponestar!

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Westy said:
I wonder how many people would give up driving if they saw pictures of people in nasty car accidents?
No kidding. Last week I saw the result of a car hitting the back of an 18-wheeler parked on the shoulder at (my guess) 60 mph. I think it was a Caddy CTS... but it was hard to tell... not much was recognizable.... the rear seat headrests were smashed against the back of the trailer... Later read there was only one person in the car... 22 y.o. male... pronounced at the scene. They had to pick up the trailer to remove the car. No one is sure why he was driving on the shoulder that fast, although I have my suspicions beign familiar with the area. Traffic on Rt 1 was tied up for hours...

I have basically come to terms with the fact that my death will probably come while on my road bike at the front of some SUV driven by some cell-phone talking idiot... :rolleyes:

I'd love to have a motorcycle, but the last thing the world needs is me on something that goes 150 mph that quickly. There's a reason I drive a 90 hp diesel... and it's not just the great MPG.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Seat belts and airbags should be removed from all automobiles. All of this safety equipment gives people a false sense of security -damned near a sense of immortality.

Instead the dashboard and all other potential impact zones during a crash should be covered with broken glass, bayonets and razor wire. Then maybe people will contcentrate on defense driving...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
jimmydean said:
It sucks, but you could hold the same sort of argument about SUV's. I know a lot of people who say the only reason they bought and/or drive a large SUV is because "everyone else does too." If you're in a Echo and an H2 merges into your lane, you're screwed there too.

Same rules apply to Echo drivers, be aware of what's going on and never consider driving UI.
not true. even the most flimsy of road-legal cars has passed crash tests. a bike has not the slimmest of chances of passing a similar test -- the rider ejecting and slamming head first into the obstacle makes the task near impossible...

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/crashtestdata/43767/article.html

edmunds.com said:
Toyota ECHO (2001/2002)
NHTSA Frontal Crash Driver Good (Sedan)
NHTSA Frontal Crash Passenger Good (Sedan)
NHTSA Side Crash Front Occupant Average (Sedan)
NHTSA Side Crash Rear Occupant Good (Sedan)
NHTSA Rollover Resistance Good (Sedan)
IIHS Offset Not Tested
IIHS Bumper Bash Not Tested
dan wask said:
That accident was posted by one of the emt's that responded to that call on thumpertalk.com . He made a full recovery.
if they had to amputate his wang did they at least leave that log in there? :rofl: