Quantcast

Mountain Cycle - DW

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Jesus, Biker fox?????? I thought we had a ban on any bikerfox pics here..... My eyes are bleding now after catching up on this thread. I am just going to sit in the corner and cry now.

Last edited:

Fitzy@Geek

Chimp
Nov 18, 2006
Boston
Dave, you should just let everyone know that DW-link is now on Solectria. Electric powered suspension you have to recharge every race run!

PS their super secret pro rider is named Mao:biggrin:

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
I am curious though, how many people are thinking the split pivot is a DWlinkish design, By all descriptions ever on RM, its just an overrated SP. I dont see any link between the BB and the chainstays, All I see is that the pivot is right on the axle. Linky for those who havent seen it
http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3196
Suspension design is NOT only skin deep. Just because it looks like a single pivot, doesn't mean all the force characteristics are the same. Split pivot helps with the braking force not unlike a horst link.

Remember just because it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, and ****s like a duck doesnt mean its an alpacca, or something like that

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
split pivot axle path = single pivot

split pivot braking forces != single pivot

with a non-horst single pivot, the brake is attached to the chainstay. When applied, the brake will tend to rotate the chainstay in the direction of wheel rotation (always causing squat).

With a horst type config, or the split pivot, the brake is attached to the seat stay. The brake forces will now tend to rotate the seatstay in the direction of wheel rotation. Depending on the geo of the other links involved, this set-up can lean toward either squat or anti squat, something not possible in a 'single pivot'.

(yea there are many other things goin on here in the entire system, but this is enough for this conversation)

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
Maybe a stupid question, but I was wondering if the new unnamed DW link bike is coming next year or 2010?

I haven't followed all the Iron Horse DW threads, so feel free to shoot me if this has been answered a 100 times before :bonk:

Rigger

Chimp
Jul 29, 2004
NV
I could see Norco using the split pivot design over the DW Link. Easy to manufacture (not so tight of tolerances), the cost would be minimal and using the licensing rights from DW would probably be cheaper than Specialized. I would say more bikes would use the split pivot over the DW Link based on the above.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Dave, you should just let everyone know that DW-link is now on Solectria. Electric powered suspension you have to recharge every race run!

PS their super secret pro rider is named Mao:biggrin:

AHAHAHHAAHA Oh that's awesome. I would love to see Mao on a DH rig!

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
I could see Norco using the split pivot design over the DW Link. Easy to manufacture (not so tight of tolerances), the cost would be minimal and using the licensing rights from DW would probably be cheaper than Specialized. I would say more bikes would use the split pivot over the DW Link based on the above.
The fee for the DW link I heard was north of 100$/bike and I bet the split pivot would be the same, the FSR from Specialized is only 7$/bike. I really don't see Norco changing any time soon, they see to prefer to change the look of the bike every year instead of trying new suspenion platforms.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
yah its got the little dwlink thing on the swing arm.

but whos gonna be making the DH bike?!

full carbon DW link DH bike?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
He's a pretty good DH rider, but he hasn't been racing or training for DH for a long time so I would imagine he wouldn't be a top ten rider at a WC race on a regular DH bike. Put him on a 5.5" bike when WC tracks have only gotten gnarlier each year and I think he'd have a pretty rough time keeping up.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
He's a pretty good DH rider, but he hasn't been racing or training for DH for a long time so I would imagine he wouldn't be a top ten rider at a WC race on a regular DH bike. Put him on a 5.5" bike when WC tracks have only gotten gnarlier each year and I think he'd have a pretty rough time keeping up.
Not saying him or that 5.5" bike are WC contenders, but saying he isn't a DH rider is like saying Carter isn't a BMX'er or Cedric isn't a freerider, ect. Most guys don't stop doing the other aspects of MTBing just because they stopped competing.
I agree that touting that 5.5" bike for DH is a stretch, no matter who the pilot is.