Quantcast

MTB HAll of Fame moves to Fairfax, CA

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Did I mention we even have monster trucks and demolition derby?

Also Sonoma county is WAY bike-friendly. Much more so than Marin even.

But I can understand putting the HOF there in Fairfax. The sport of mountain biking was literally born there.
Iron Maiden FTW

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Come to Sonoma county, 1/2 hour north of Fairfax. Decent trails, nice wineries, killer food. We even had a demolition derby a couple weeks ago.

I agree, SF sucks a dong. But Fairfax is NOT SF. There is a living sh!t-ton of AWESOME stuff in California. Lakes, mountains, coastline, redwoods, farmland, vineyards.

But SF is a stinky piss pool.

Oh **** you mean I live only and hour or so from you? run away run away LOL

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
I have no intention in visiting the pile of turd that is everything north of the bridge again in my life. To qualify I find I do not enjoy visiting the wealthy areas of most American Cities. I know I am supposed to be in awe of the excesses of the wealthy, but I am not. Like Fairfax I accept that I am monentarily challenged and won't be booking any trips to Fairfax, The Hamptons, or Grosse Pointe...
A guy went to Tiburon and uses that experience to dis Fairfax, as though the two places had any similarity. His loss.

Meanwhile, every weekend thousands of cyclists of both road and off-road persuasion show up in Fairfax. I don't know where they come from, but they arrive and spend money and make the town very happy. Now they will have yet another reason to come here and another establishment where they can spend their money supporting cycling.

The town is better off without Downer Deb hanging around and kvetching about how bad the place is because...Tiburon. Can't you just see some nut with a sandwich sign ranting to every two wheeler that passes, "Stop smiling and laughing! You're not having fun! Tiburon it only ten miles away!"

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
Like Fairfax I accept that I am monentarily challenged and won't be booking any trips to Fairfax, The Hamptons, or Grosse Pointe...
And another thing... The guy who wrote that probably spent multiple thousands of bucks on his bike(s). I can't afford that kind of money for bikes, and if I wasn't sponsored for my machinery, I would probably have to take up basketball instead.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Not that I care where the MBHOF is, but I am excited that my good friend Marla Streb got word last week that she will be inducted.
About freaking time, she rocks. I saw her blister through a rock garden during practice at Snowshoe in 2001 like it was a gravel parking lot. Two other top pros complained and had it removed from the course because they couldn't get through it. I've had mad respect for her since then.
The funny thing is that she never really wanted to race DH but she was good at it so sponsors started throwing money at her, she won a few races and said "alright I guess I'll do it."
We were SO excited for her too. She's just plain AWESOME!

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
Ok I'll bite... Ship my ass to Cali and back comfortably = $1250. Stay in SF reasonably safe and comfortable 3 days = $800. Food = $1000. Bike shipment to cali and home = complete pain the ass and $300. Add tolls and parking tickets to my rental car = $500/600. Good luck with all that. I can get to Cabo from San Diego or Dallas for half that and actually ride my bike on trails, eat good food and make my own history. San Francisco sucks badly unless you are a millionaire and so does Crested Butte, No if ands or buts....
Did learn your accounting at Enron?

I guess you like caviar, but for the rest of us $1,000 is a lot of food. You could probably get 75 real meals out of that. Are you planning on staying for a month? $1250 for flying? Do you live in Alaska? I just flew from SFO to Indy for ~$500. Tolls/Parking tickets = $500? I guess you plan on leaving your car parked in an intersection?

Anyway, flying to SF is not all that much more expensive than most other major cities. Maybe a little more, but certainly not extravagantly more unless you like to live it up big time.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
All this kvetching has motivated me to point out that I have hella respec for all the old skool mtbers like Repack and his homies...I would just rather ride with them (Or behind them...) then look at pictures and dusty old kit from the old days. I just dont do museums or halls of fame...not my thing. Knowmsayin dawg?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
And let you sit on Gary Fishers knee for 'storytime' after challenging Miles Rockwell to a bong-off.

Last edited:

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
All this kvetching has motivated me to point out that I have hella respec for all the old skool mtbers like Repack and his homies...I would just rather ride with them (Or behind them...) then look at pictures and dusty old kit from the old days. I just dont do museums or halls of fame...not my thing. Knowmsayin dawg?
Look at it from my perspective. I have the definitive library documenting the most important developments in cycling of the 20th Century. I have an incredible collection of souvenirs. I can hoard this stuff and admire my collection of file cabinets (Gee, look how many there are!) or I can find a way to make this stuff available to others. It doesn't bother me that some don't care to see it, but I want it available to those who do.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Look at it from my perspective. I have the definitive library documenting the most important developments in cycling of the 20th Century. I have an incredible collection of souvenirs. I can hoard this stuff and admire my collection of file cabinets (Gee, look how many there are!) or I can find a way to make this stuff available to others. It doesn't bother me that some don't care to see it, but I want it available to those who do.
Just include something about hot women, artisanal beer and bacon at the hall of fame and there will 100% back up from the Lounge.

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
It would be hard to find a more appropriate town for the HoF. This Sunday in Fairfax the ribbon will be cut for the "Repack" monument. How many towns would have a public monument dedicated to the activities of a bunch of hippie bike bums?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It would be hard to find a more appropriate town for the HoF. This Sunday in Fairfax the ribbon will be cut for the "Repack" monument. How many towns would have a public monument dedicated to the activities of a bunch of hippie bike bums?

ledges.....skaters love ledges.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Based on the dumpster graffiti I don't think Fairfax will be getting the TrustFunder Urban Art Hall of Fame.

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
Uhhh... Crested Butte, maybe? :D
Back in '78 five of us from Marin went there and showed them our new type of bikes. Crested Butte became a big mountain bike town, thanks to people from Marin showing the locals the way.

The Crested Butte HoF was embarrassingly small and unsupported by the town. Fairfax is all over the HoF with the city officials taking a big role in promoting the sport. The new facility is many times the size of the CB version.

Thousands of cyclists visit Fairfax every weekend, which makes the HoF available to many more people there than it was in CB.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Back in '78 five of us from Marin went there and showed them our new type of bikes. Crested Butte became a big mountain bike town, thanks to people from Marin showing the locals the way.

The Crested Butte HoF was embarrassingly small and unsupported by the town. Fairfax is all over the HoF with the city officials taking a big role in promoting the sport. The new facility is many times the size of the CB version.

Thousands of cyclists visit Fairfax every weekend, which makes the HoF available to many more people there than it was in CB.
I don't disagree. I've been going to Crested Butte since 1982-ish and never visited the HoF. I always found there were *way* too many distractions in CB to go check it out. :D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Next move to the home of the first MTBers, Missoula, MT. Buffalo Soldiers Bicycle Corps.