Quantcast

Mullet Peacemaker Shout Out

Chris M

Chimp
Mar 8, 2023
Anyone riding a mullet?? My peacemaker rips! Great in the tight and twisty technical stuff. I can get in and out of corners faster on this bike and started setting personal strava records immediately. Company is super responsive with support also. Thinking about getting their hardtail next...thoughts?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That was the one that got absolutely slaughtered on Vital so bad they had to take down the page and now not even an archive exists?

Nah I'm good, but astroturf and I'll lift my banhammer pretty quick.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Look at the pivot points on those bikes Westy posted. Not in the same place are they?? Now Imagine the needle bearings in that Peacemaker, visualize the lateral stiffness...

No, the bike cannot accept a front derailleur. UNRIDABU, I already know how ya'll feel about that subject.

Small frame company gets roasted on the forums? Never seen that happen before...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Look at the pivot points on those bikes Westy posted. Not in the same place are they?? Now Imagine the needle bearings in that Peacemaker, visualize the lateral stiffness...

No, the bike cannot accept a front derailleur. UNRIDABU, I already know how ya'll feel about that subject.

Small frame company gets roasted on the forums? Never seen that happen before...

they should still make it in rootbeer

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
That was the one that got absolutely slaughtered on Vital so bad they had to take down the page and now not even an archive exists?

Nah I'm good, but astroturf and I'll lift my banhammer pretty quick.
For those of us not in the know, what'd it get slaughtered for? Basically just being an old SC with bigger wheels?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
For those of us not in the know, what'd it get slaughtered for? Basically just being an old SC with bigger wheels?
Slaughtered for refusing to share geo #'s. Also - pushing a single pivot as "new and improved" gets all the trolls out sharpening their knives. Miles isn't a savy internet warrior to begin with and his company is called Mullet. Its an uphill battle.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Slaughtered for refusing to share geo #'s. Also - pushing a single pivot as "new and improved" gets all the trolls out sharpening their knives. Miles isn't a savy internet warrior to begin with and his company is called Mullet. Its an uphill battle.
it wasn't the forum members being trolls, it was their condescending attitude and unwillingness to answer even the most basic questions about their bikes. then acted like we had no idea what we were talking about. those of us who have been around a long time had flashbacks to 90's and early 00's mtb marketing.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Uphill battle, bobbing the whole way right?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
it wasn't the forum members being trolls, it was their condescending attitude and unwillingness to answer even the most basic questions about their bikes. then acted like we had no idea what we were talking about. those of us who have been around a long time had flashbacks to 90's and early 00's mtb marketing.
Who was that dude who pulled the same thing in the DH forum a few years ago?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm no trying to make a comment on whether these bikes are any good or not...

In the old days of MTB, hucksters used to make up ridiculous, unsubstantiated claims about how their bike "climbed like a hardtail" or was "super plush without bottoming" but provided no data to support it and the industry was filled with wack designs with multiple levers, URTs, falling rates, terrible geometry, etc.

Then people like DW came along and designed bikes that worked and iteratively improved geometry based on rider feedback and people who go fast. Nowadays it's hard to find a design that genuinely stinks or was clearly designed around nonsense. Maybe the polygon "suspension in a tube"? The Redalp? Anyways, your run of the mill Transition, Santa Cruz, even Special ed is going to be a decent bike right out of the box.

The Mullet frames were released on Vital and the old days of MTB came rushing back. Zero substance, but "BRO IT'S SO SICK BRO IT'S GREAT BRO JUST TRY IT BRO YOU'LL LOVE IT. BRO". People pointed out how awful the falling rate suspension would be, because falling rate suspension is awful and we figured this out 10 years ago, but the owners defended it. They didn't release the geometry of the bike, just said "Buy a medium if you're 5' whatever". People picked them apart because that shit's nonsense so the owners started posting from fake accounts to talk about how great the bikes were. That was really where it got bad- I'm fine if you want to sell objectively bad bikes, but if you invent account to talk about how great they are, that's poor innernet form and you deserve to be taken to task.

So, happy if people want to discuss them, but if zero post accounts start coming out of the woodwork to talk about how great they are, I'll just start banning them. OP has no other posts though he doesn't seem to be a SPAMmer, and this is one hell of a suspicious first post

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

In the old days of MTB, hucksters used to make up ridiculous, unsubstantiated claims about how their bike "climbed like a hardtail" or was "super plush without bottoming" but provided no data to support it and the industry was filled with wack designs with multiple levers, URTs, falling rates, terrible geometry, etc.

Then people like DW came along and designed bikes that worked and iteratively improved geometry based on rider feedback and people who go fast. Nowadays it's hard to find a design that genuinely stinks or was clearly designed around nonsense. Maybe the polygon "suspension in a tube"? The Redalp? Anyways, your run of the mill Transition, Santa Cruz, even Special ed is going to be a decent bike right out of the box.

The Mullet frames were released on Vital and the old days of MTB came rushing back. Zero substance, but "BRO IT'S SO SICK BRO IT'S GREAT BRO JUST TRY IT BRO YOU'LL LOVE IT. BRO". People pointed out how awful the falling rate suspension would be, because falling rate suspension is awful and we figured this out 10 years ago, but the owners defended it. They didn't release the geometry of the bike, just said "Buy a medium if you're 5' whatever". People picked them apart because that shit's nonsense so the owners started posting from fake accounts to talk about how great the bikes were. That was really where it got bad- I'm fine if you want to sell objectively bad bikes, but if you invent account to talk about how great they are, that's poor innernet form and you deserve to be taken to task.

So, happy if people want to discuss them, but if zero post accounts start coming out of the woodwork to talk about how great they are, I'll just start banning them. OP has no other posts though he doesn't seem to be a SPAMmer, and this is one hell of a suspicious first post
iTs ThE sEcReT sAuCe

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Nah, it was some other guy. Refused to post geo/suspension diagrams claiming that it would all be released later but his bikes were amazing, trust him on that. Got pissed when people pulled images and put together their own suspension diagrams, then launched a country wide demo tour.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nah, it was some other guy. Refused to post geo/suspension diagrams claiming that it would all be released later but his bikes were amazing, trust him on that. Got pissed when people pulled images and put together their own suspension diagrams, then launched a country wide demo tour.
oh was it that old guy? the one who used to work at kona?

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana

Dang, I need to spend more time on vital, because that shit sounds hilarious

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
tantrum. No matter what people described, it was never accurate. Even if it was accurate, or close enough, it was never accurate. He seemed like a good dood but fell off the internet during COVID

Dang, I need to spend more time on vital, because that shit sounds hilarious
It was pretty cringey honestly. I stopped by and noped right the heck out of there. Everyone else basically took the words out of my mouth and I didn't want to add to it. The fact that the thread is completely eliminated is hilarious to me- neither Vital nor Mullet wanted it around.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
tantrum. No matter what people described, it was never accurate. Even if it was accurate, or close enough, it was never accurate. He seemed like a good dood but fell off the internet during COVID
that's it! the dude was a bit kooky, but he stuck around a while. supposedly the bikes rode well.

It was pretty cringey honestly. I stopped by and noped right the heck out of there. Everyone else basically took the words out of my mouth and I didn't want to add to it. The fact that the thread is completely eliminated is hilarious to me- neither Vital nor Mullet wanted it around.
spomer banned them after a bit once they had multiple accounts posting from a single IP. the guys defense was that it was multiple people posting from their own accounts from a single shop computer. seemed suspect but spomer reinstated them, then they deleted the thread of their own accord.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
that's it! the dude was a bit kooky, but he stuck around a while. supposedly the bikes rode well.

spomer banned them after a bit once they had multiple accounts posting from a single IP. the guys defense was that it was multiple people posting from their own accounts from a single shop computer. seemed suspect but spomer reinstated them, then they deleted the thread of their own accord.
The lolz of that is high, very high.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
@Sandwich

Its not Miles if thats what your leading towards. Dunno who this guy is.

The bikes are good but the p2p savy doesnt exist. I'm not gonna discount that component of the mess. Miles is my buddy and his role in life is eccentric engineer-mtb dirtbag lifer. He's been working in the industry for decades. He wants to sell bikes and thinks he has something unique. He was afraid of other companies stealing his ideas and leaving his business in the dirt. He wanted people to know about his stuff but didnt want to share all the details. He is good guy! Doesnt handle intense criticism via random people on the internet. I think it takes mad skillz to effectively fight off and turn a crowd of angry mtb armchair internet warriors.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
@Sandwich

The bikes are good but the p2p savy doesnt exist. I'm not gonna discount that component of the mess. Miles is my buddy and his role in life is eccentric engineer-mtb dirtbag lifer. He's been working in the industry for decades. He wants to sell bikes and thinks he has something unique. He was afraid of other companies stealing his ideas and leaving his business in the dirt. He wanted people to know about his stuff but didnt want to share all the details. He is good guy! Doesnt handle intense criticism via random people on the internet. I think it takes mad skillz to effectively fight off and turn a crowd of angry mtb armchair internet warriors.
If he plans to stay a small regional niche brand I guess that works. His website is horrible, the lacking geo numbers that are on the site pretty much remind me of bikes I’ve sold years ago. Did they ride awesome? Ya, but the bikes I’ve upgraded to ride much better.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
@Sandwich

Like I said, not trying to comment on their bikes, necessarily. I had a cannondale rush and it was one of my favorite bikes I've ever owned, even though it was objectively inferior to other designs. It was just fun to ride and the numbers didn't show it. There's no reason the mullet bikes couldn't be the same.

I don't have a problem with them defending their geometry or what have you, but I've purchased one bike in the last 27 years that I got to ride before blind buying and that problem is even worse now. You have to read the geo charts and make an informed decision/guess and I can see how that would be a problem. Again, the real deal is the astroturfing, that's a bad look.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I'll be honest, I wouldnt have considered owning a Mullet Cycles bicycle until the parking lot test last 4th of July. I spent an hour riding his bikes and my bikes, giving them all a proper parking lot test.

It was so bad. I took my Transition Throttle home and never rode it again. I took it apart, sold it, and bought a Mullet Honeymaker within a week.

Everytime I take it out on a ride, afterwards I hold it in my hands and say WHYTHEFUCK is this so awesome.

The Vital trainwreck is unfortunate because Miles is a good dude and the bikes are awesome. The truth is in the pudding - he is still around and selling bikes, getting new batches in and developing new frame designs.

Knowing what I know now, I wish Tantrum was still around. I probably wouldn't have called it Taintram on the forums. Still would love to see one in person and buy Brian a few tacos.