Quantcast

Mullet Peacemaker Shout Out

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Like I said, not trying to comment on their bikes, necessarily. I had a cannondale rush and it was one of my favorite bikes I've ever owned, even though it was objectively inferior to other designs. It was just fun to ride and the numbers didn't show it. There's no reason the mullet bikes couldn't be the same.

I don't have a problem with them defending their geometry or what have you, but I've purchased one bike in the last 27 years that I got to ride before blind buying and that problem is even worse now. You have to read the geo charts and make an informed decision/guess and I can see how that would be a problem. Again, the real deal is the astroturfing, that's a bad look.
The amazing thing is that the secret sauce is easily reverse engineered with a tape measure. Unless they don't want to set expectations and disappoint customers like I was with my Yeti 575 where no physical measurement came close to anything published in a geometry chart.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'll be honest, I wouldnt have considered owning a Mullet Cycles bicycle until the parking lot test last 4th of July. I spent an hour riding his bikes and my bikes, giving them all a proper parking lot test.

It was so bad. I took my Transition Throttle home and never rode it again. I took it apart, sold it, and bought a Mullet Honeymaker within a week.

Everytime I take it out on a ride, afterwards I hold it in my hands and say WHYTHEFUCK is this so awesome.

The Vital trainwreck is unfortunate because Miles is a good dude and the bikes are awesome. The truth is in the pudding - he is still around and selling bikes, getting new batches in and developing new frame designs.

Knowing what I know now, I wish Tantrum was still around. I probably wouldn't have called it Taintram on the forums. Still would love to see one in person and buy Brian a few tacos.

I am guessing you just like the bigger wheel(s) which makes a lot of sense for your height and trails. You just like to swing both ways.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The amazing thing is that the secret sauce is easily reverse engineered with a tape measure. Unless they don't want to set expectations and disappoint customers like I was with my Yeti 575 where no physical measurement came close to anything published in a geometry chart.
don't forget that every other MFG publishes their chart so it's not like they are hiding anything. Plus a single pivot with no linkage has got to be the easiest design to copy by eye- you can get pretty close to accurate on some pretty complex designs so I'm not sure a few mm is going to affect a bullit copy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
don't forget that every other MFG publishes their chart so it's not like they are hiding anything. Plus a single pivot with no linkage has got to be the easiest design to copy by eye- you can get pretty close to accurate on some pretty complex designs so I'm not sure a few mm is going to affect a bullit copy.
Who knows, never ridden one but the "look test" on the hardtail I'd be marketing great ride quality for an aluminum hardtail. I would guess those high extended chain stays should make for a smoother ride, all else being equal.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The hardtail rides like a dream!

This page needs pics too...

Resized_20221204_102829.jpeg

I like the rollability of the bigger front wheel combined with the tuckability of the little back wheel. It's definitly 3F. Fast, flickable, fun.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I threw a leg over @boostindoubles honeymaker and it did ride really nice. I’ve been on full suspension since the late 90’s because comfort. An old riding buddy had a late 90’s special ed hard tail and that thing was harsh. So I reluctantly tried the honeymaker, I was surprised. It was dam smooth and I liked it. Sooooo ya that’s about it outta me. I think about buying one sometimes.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Charge me $1,499 for an alloy hardtail made overseas that I can't see all the details on beforehand?

Nah bro, I'm good.

Shairudo

Chimp
Jan 26, 2024
The proof is in the riding. You can’t compare symmetrical wheel geo numbers to what Mullet put together. Mike Vidovich started developing their mixed wheel geometry in ‘13 as a Foes dealer. Consider for a moment how long the geo for Mullet cycles has been around and the cult following that formed from his Timberline Cycles Shop and the Foes Mixer that Mike developed. You don’t need iterative improvement (a la DW) if you’ve already made a saltatory leap beyond what the industry can offer.
The onus is on the symmetrical wheel incumbents to prove why mtb shouldn’t take the same evolutionary route as the motorcycle.
Your mountain bike has the same size wheels because of the UCI and their mandate to preserve ‘the essential character of the road cycle’ and stifle innovation so that track racing and the Tour de France would look the same since 1903.
I encouraged Miles to post the shock characteristic curve on the vital mtb announcement for the sake of transparency but as Miles predicted people wouldn’t get it. Folks like Vorsprung should have known better that a regressive shock characteristic doesn’t entail the same curve for a suspension kinematic ie when the shock is compressed on the bike. So there goes the regressive straw man. Miles wanted to put the shock mount on the top tube but the ISO engineers wouldn’t allow it. With the shock mounted on the down tube the shock characteristic had to be altered to preserve a linear suspension kinematic.
Back to the geo. The Mullet head angle is a bit steeper than you’d want on your safety bike. If you buy the latest spewage from pinkbike then I guess that might be your kick plus longer chain stays. It takes a media machine to sell incrementalism.
I got the last Ti hard tail but even at 5’ 10” my arms and legs are too long for the Medium frame. With a slammed 70mm stem and riser bars my Medium Honeymaker fits like a Large frame. This fitment was confirmed by Mike Vidovich and even Brian Lopes when he asked me some basic questions (wheelie too easily with the saddle at full extension, feeling too upright in the cockpit etc). Mike developed a rather robust fitment system but you can’t account for everyone based on rider height alone when frames are built around inseam and reach.
For the complainers about the BB height, Hardtailparty didn’t get it either and he’s not a particularly aspirational rider.
My large peacemaker frame awaits a Rotor hydraulic group set.
come at me bros, haters gonna hate.
Ride a real Mullet and then tell me what you think.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I've been riding mixed wheel bikes since 2014, the last two were custom frames designed around being mixed wheel bikes.
It makes fuck all difference in the real world, they drift a bit weird initially and they turn a bit better, but it's just a slightly smaller wheel, common sense should suggest that just it's not going to perform miracles.

Were they designed by mullet? No, but there's not much to spec'ing hardtail geo or a SP with a shitty leverage rate so I don't think I did any worse than what they would have.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The proof is in the riding. You can’t compare symmetrical wheel geo numbers to what Mullet put together. Mike Vidovich started developing their mixed wheel geometry in ‘13 as a Foes dealer. Consider for a moment how long the geo for Mullet cycles has been around and the cult following that formed from his Timberline Cycles Shop and the Foes Mixer that Mike developed. You don’t need iterative improvement (a la DW) if you’ve already made a saltatory leap beyond what the industry can offer.
The onus is on the symmetrical wheel incumbents to prove why mtb shouldn’t take the same evolutionary route as the motorcycle.
Your mountain bike has the same size wheels because of the UCI and their mandate to preserve ‘the essential character of the road cycle’ and stifle innovation so that track racing and the Tour de France would look the same since 1903.
I encouraged Miles to post the shock characteristic curve on the vital mtb announcement for the sake of transparency but as Miles predicted people wouldn’t get it. Folks like Vorsprung should have known better that a regressive shock characteristic doesn’t entail the same curve for a suspension kinematic ie when the shock is compressed on the bike. So there goes the regressive straw man. Miles wanted to put the shock mount on the top tube but the ISO engineers wouldn’t allow it. With the shock mounted on the down tube the shock characteristic had to be altered to preserve a linear suspension kinematic.
Back to the geo. The Mullet head angle is a bit steeper than you’d want on your safety bike. If you buy the latest spewage from pinkbike then I guess that might be your kick plus longer chain stays. It takes a media machine to sell incrementalism.
I got the last Ti hard tail but even at 5’ 10” my arms and legs are too long for the Medium frame. With a slammed 70mm stem and riser bars my Medium Honeymaker fits like a Large frame. This fitment was confirmed by Mike Vidovich and even Brian Lopes when he asked me some basic questions (wheelie too easily with the saddle at full extension, feeling too upright in the cockpit etc). Mike developed a rather robust fitment system but you can’t account for everyone based on rider height alone when frames are built around inseam and reach.
For the complainers about the BB height, Hardtailparty didn’t get it either and he’s not a particularly aspirational rider.
My large peacemaker frame awaits a Rotor hydraulic group set.
come at me bros, haters gonna hate.
Ride a real Mullet and then tell me what you think.
Finally, someone who gets it.