Quantcast

Muse - what should i know?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
just got an assignment to shoot these guys saturday night...i think i heard one of their songs 5 years ago, like a B- Radiohead. what should i know about 'em?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i was afraid of that.

but, the paper i've got the assignment through is one i've been trying to hook up w/ for a while, so i can't turn 'em down.

plus, they are playing in a pretty nice arena (same place that White Stripes played a few weeks ago), so the lighting should be ace.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Are you kidding me? They have some of the best musicians and most epic songs out there. The lead singer is classically trained in vocals and Piano. They are definitely more talented than 90% of bands out now. If they suck, then I would like to know who is good?
post up a track using yousendit.com or divshare or whatever you please, and let us decide :clue:

G-RockMurray

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
they are a top notch band......one of the biggest alt rock bands right now......hell they just played madison square garden

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
post up a track using yousendit.com or divshare or whatever you please, and let us decide :clue:
the dreaded youtube

Narlus, I think your chances will be abundant to capture a rock star pose.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I remember watching them on the box at Glastonbury or Reading or something. Very rock and roll, lots of lights, fire and flash with not a whole lot to back it up. Steve is dead right, there'll be a large variey of rock poses for sure.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the dreaded youtube

Narlus, I think your chances will be abundant to capture a rock star pose.
huh. my take is wannabe radiohead with less interesting chords and some hair metal without the hair...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Whatever, guys, I definitely like Muse. I would have posted that youtube video if someone else hadn't. I hear their live shows are great.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Whatever, guys, I definitely like Muse. I would have posted that youtube video if someone else hadn't. I hear their live shows are great.
i'm not saying it's bad -- i'd probably listen to it while alone in the house when the mood strikes -- but they're one of those bands that i find too embarrassing to play while driving around town with the windows down... :biggrin:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
huh. my take is wannabe radiohead with less interesting chords and some hair metal without the hair...
maybe it's because i don't listen to radiohead, but they kind of reminded me of the mars volta. except the lead singer doesn't have the vocal range of that of the lead singer of the mars volta, and muse's music is nowhere near as complex as that of the mars volta.

just my 2 cents...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
i'm not saying it's bad -- i'd probably listen to it while alone in the house when the mood strikes -- but they're one of those bands that i find too embarrassing to play while driving around town with the windows down... :biggrin:
Oh, I am pretty much in agreement there. But I do enjoy their sound in the comfort of my own home. I mean, I listened to Feist today driving to Diablo...windows up.

I just get a bit tired on here of the scoffing at people's musical tastes. We get it- you're too cool for school, okay.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Oh, I am pretty much in agreement there. But I do enjoy their sound in the comfort of my own home. I mean, I listened to Feist today driving to Diablo...windows up.

I just get a bit tired on here of the scoffing at people's musical tastes. We get it- you're too cool for school, okay.
but some (most) music really does suck. :busted:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If they suck, then I would like to know who is good?
Dream Theater.

No, I'm kiding.

I stopped listening to so-called seriously talented musicians with no soul when a musician friend convinced me to listen to the so-called classically trained and very talented Yngvie Malmstein when he first came out.

Give me a mediocre talent band with a lot of life, soul, fun, and passion over bands/musicians like them.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I actually like the band. The latest album is pretty good too. Yes, they have a similar sound to Radiohead in the beginning (Pablo Honey), but they have expanded and have a ton of unique style now. I think in an interview when they first came out they said Radiohead was one of their main influences. Not all of there songs are like the Stockholm Syndrome song. They have a pretty awesome range on music. I'm really a fan of the song Map of the Problematique.

I would love to be in your position to have the opportunity to meet these guys.

SCTreeHugger

Chimp
Apr 19, 2005
I saw them play live at the VW download festival (free VIP tickets otherwise I wouldn't have been there) and it was amazing. They kick major ass live. It was so good I had to catch them on their solo tour in San Francisco a few months ago. It kicked even more ass because they played for 2 hrs straight. High energy show.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I like them a lot, very well done. I love Radiohead (Bends) & Coheed & Cambria (Second Sage of the Turbine Blade), & Mars Volta.

I think Muse is an amazing band.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Perfect example of poor talent and lots of passion and entertainment. Everyone knows the real talent was McLaren and a little bit of Lydon.
i think that glen matlock wrote a bunch of the songs, and a lot of people forget about him...mclaren was a salesman/marketer (albeit a very good one), and lydon a provocateur of the highest order.

McLaren approved Vicious as a member on account of his look and "punk attitude", despite his limited musical abilities. According to McLaren: "When Sid joined he couldn't play guitar but his craziness fit into the structure of the band. He was the knight in shining armour with a giant fist." Lydon later recalled: "The first rehearsals with Sid were hellish. Everyone agreed he had the look. Sid tried real hard... but boy, he couldn't play bass."
sid was the original drummer for siouxsie and the banshees.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
I'd like to see the pics, let me know when you do it. I like them. They have a great live show- lots of energy. Super nice guys too.

Me mugging with muse

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well i got booted from the venue after the 1st 3 songs i was allowed to shoot (no ticket, couldn't stay), but i liked 'em...rock poses up the wazoo, awesome lighting, really a fun show to shoot. i still can't get past the Radiohead Jr sound, but they were totally polished, pro musicians. good stage setup too; it's a pleasure to shoot shows like these, really. much less of a struggle trying to get a decent shutter speed w/ a wide open prime @ ISO 3200...

Jan 29, 2005
as a feist/mars volta/radiohead/decent hip-hop/andrew bird quiet music lover, i'd have to say that link was ****ing metal. I approve, despite the haters, extremely polished, just good music, and i don't even listen to anything that loud.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
your lucky to be that close...i'm going to see them in september in grand prairie tx and i'm stoked...but our tickets aren't in the pit and so i'll be kinda far back...but they are definitely on of my favorite bands