Quantcast

My complete sx trail is here!

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
Actually a couple showed up last thursday night. Being a little sick lately and tension at the bikeshop is why I am just getting around to posting. My digital camera broke so I dont have any pictures of it yet. I finally got it almost completely setup yesterday. Cut the bars down a little, odi grips, tried to put new brakes on but the lines were too short, tried to press in a nice PIGdh headset but it would require reaming the headtube so that didn't happen either. The rear axle is cool. Some nice hardware, and it has the semi integrated derailleur guard again like the demo had. When I sold my demo I gave away so many upgrades so I am having to buy everything over again. I have an E13 coming along with a bigger ring, and I might end up trying to get some XT brakes back on it along with a rollamajig. Tomorrow I am going to setup the suspension. The fork has air preload which is pretty cool. The bike weighs just over 40 pounds, like 40 1/4 or something. I will try to get pics tomorrow from one of my junky cameras.

\/ \/ I know this thread is completely worthless without pics, but I didn't want anybody to beat me to it!!!!:D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i saw an Enduro SX in the box at my lbs the other day i didn't even know it was an Enduro it looked so beefy. Although it should be a feather when compared to the Demo you said you sold.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I was super close to getting the SX trail but the weight and slack HTº kinda made me shy away from it in the end. I do think it is a siiiick bike but just not for the amount of climbing I do. I got the S-Works frame in charcoal ano and I am building it up with light but strong parts, Deemax, Sherman Firefly+, XT/e.13, saint derail, Thomson stem/post etc. I will be running a Fox 36RC2 once my order is filled...

According to my estimation it should weigh in at right about 34# and be just as strong as the SX trail. I may get a second rear shock from the trail to run for DH riding but that depends on how the 5th air feels. I have held the stock trail 5th coil in my hand and it is super light so I don't see it adding much weight, maybe 1/2#.

Get in some riding and post some impressions :thumb: SEXY!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
There is a bracket that bolts to the front shock mount and then extends out and holds the remote res. securely. Notice the chrome bit on the front mount...

Here's a pic of brent's AKA: gastrocnemius new SX trail...

:drool:

Thank you sean for hosting.

The bike's head angle could be an issue for some...when I had it set at 68.5 (with those tall 66's) it felt like a limo. Although I dirtjumped it both days last weekend like that and the bike still felt very maneuverable, just impossible to climb with. I swapped it to 69.5 and now it's got a steering feel approximating my 04 Enduro Pro (but not quite).

I've still got some changes to make with suspension and driveline but so far I love the bike.:)

edit: oh yeah, it looks very stealthy (like Klein's pics) in person, not blingy like the flash made mine look.

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
punkassean said:
There is a bracket that bolts to the front shock mount and then extends out and holds the remote res. securely. Notice the chrome bit on the front mount...

Here's a pic of brent's AKA: gastrocnemius new SX trail...

:drool:

Yeah i saw the chromy bit. Later on. This bike looks really nice. But instantly swap the 66r For a Rs Pike. But that's my opinion.

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
math2014 said:
pike instead of a 66RC? what for?

i am so jealous... i got the old SX :(.

Well i ride with a psylo now, and rode with my friends Pike sl, and i loved it, and so i wont; take the step to a Marzocchi 66rc fork.

A pike is 700 gram lighter,that exludes the steerertube, i like the lockout system, can't miss the one on mine fork, Maxle system, and it does not build so high.

And i would love to have a old sx, for 4x and dualslalom.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
God if i didn't plan on racing i'd be tempted to trash my bigbike and my trail bike and get a enduro trail with a Z1 as my only bike.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
mobius said:
God if i didn't plan on racing i'd be tempted to trash my bigbike and my trail bike and get a enduro trail with a Z1 as my only bike.
so i should just kill myself, and instead keep my sx and use it as an allaround swiss army knife-bike? :D

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
So has this turned into an Old school vs New school SX thread?
:sneaky:

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
I tried to mount an E13 on it today, and it wont work without cutting the boomerang ISCG slots longer. The holes dont line up without hitting the chainstay, by about the width of 1 bolt. The non ISCG adpater also dosen't workbecause it spaces it out too much. It would probably work with a longer BB.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Does your chainguide have slotted bolts or just the old single drilling for one fitting. My bighit dh the guide mounts were placed wrong so i had to get a guideplate with slotted holes.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
math2014 said:
But i have a red/white frame :D.... not the silver one
have you ever owned a true variable travel fork before?(ecc on the Zokes doesn't count) if you haven't you should try one out, you can do so much more with your bike with one.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Skookum said:
have you ever owned a true variable travel fork before?(ecc on the Zokes doesn't count) if you haven't you should try one out, you can do so much more with your bike with one.
no i havent. The only one i ve tried is the ETA on my Z1 dropoff. As i said the pike looks very nice but very risky as well that is my only issue.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
^ Agreed

My old TALAS was the best fork I've ever owned DH or not. That's why I can't wait to get my 36. At least the Sherman I'll be running for now has a lower travel mode to aid climbing but I hear you don't want to push the fork hard in the low travel mode otherwise that feature will break.

I agree with those that think the 66 is overkill on the trail and that a Z1 or other 6" fork would be better. But I also understand why Specialized chose that fork in the end. The 66 has a lot of hype and is a great fork that's really in a different class than the other 6" SC'c on the market. I also don't know why Kona overburdened the '05 Coilers with the 66's also when a Z1 would have been more appropriate on that bike as well?

Oh well I'm sure it will be easy enough to sell a 66 and get whatever fork you want on there if that's what you want to do.