Quantcast

My First DH experience - a photo essay of sorts.........

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well this will pale in comparison to Crashby's thread, but I thought I'd try and document my first trip to go downhill mountain biking through digital photos and text - so here it is.

I left Avon, CT around 4:45 or so to head to Douglas' house in Albany to hang out with him on Saturday night so we could get up bright and early to hit Plattekill on Sunday morning.

While driving to Albany - the skies looked a little ominous.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Albany 12 Miles - I'm getting closer to Chez Douglas! And thoughts of tomorrow are running through my head........will it rain........will I do okay.......how many times will I Endo! ;) :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
So I got to Doug's house - nice house! And Doug was out front wrenching on his Iron Horse. So I did a little wrenching too by putting a big fat arsed Specialized 2.60 tire on the front of my Snipes hardtail - yep I went with the Snipes after all and I was glad I did.

So of course it was a pain in the arse changing out the wheel and then I put the tire on the wrong direction so had to do it over again...........DH tires are a pain to mount to Sun Singletracks! But finally I got it on and we tooled around Doug's street for a bit, then put bikes away and headed into Downtown Albany for some beer and Bombers!

I was going to bring my camera in to Albany with me, but the pants I had planned on wearing got a little mucked up while working on the tire and bike. Whoops.

Needless to say we had a great tacos and rasta fries at Bombers - several good brews and a helluva lot of fun talking about Sunday and also people watching as we first went to bombers and then hit the Lion Heart - another pub close buy just off of Lark Street in Albany.

We got back to Doug's a little after 1 a.m. and crashed to get ready for Sunday Sunday Sunday! :)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
We got up at a decent hour on Sunday morning and got all our gear loaded up into Doug's Jeep - unfortunately it started to rain.

We almost ran out of gas and had to make an emergency stop in Schenectady to fill up the tank in Doug's Jeep.

Here's a shot to show a little bit of what the weather was like this morning - oh yeah and Doug's Hula Girl too. ;) :)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Welcome To Plattekill!

After about an hour and a half drive or so we were at the Mountain!!! I was super stoked to partake my first DH experience!

It was still sprinkling a little but I was fairly confident it was going to get better as the day went on .........and you know what......it did!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well right off the bat I had to change a flat tire.........seems like when I worked on the front tire change on Saturday night I punctured the tube somehow........so I struggled in the rain and mud to change the tire.....thankfully Douglas was there to lend a helping hand.........Doug is one helluva great Monkey.

We got that all set, and then we went in to buy our lift tickets for the day. Douglas got hooked up with a seasons pass and I had to fill out some release forms and watch a safety video........I also rented a chest protector.

I didn't bring my camera with me on the lifts and down the trails - didn't have a camelbak on and didn't want to risk breaking it. Needless to say, I needed to focus on my riding! lol

We did about three or four runs and I did pretty well I think - I'm not really sure how to guage my performance - but I got better with each run I thought. Did a better job of keeping my weight back and working the brakes a little better with each run.

After those runs we stopped and had a bite to eat. Next time I think we should do what these guys were doing. Mmmmm chillin and grillin!
:D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
After a good lunch we headed back up for a few more runs on the mountain. Oh yeah I forgot - I think it was on our last run before lunch - Douglas lost one of the bolts to his profile crank arms! :eek: :eek: :eek:

So he ran his bike down with just the crank arm slid onto the spindle - but it held up fine and Doug still rocked the house on his IH.

I also had a few challenges with my Avid Mechanicals - you see I did take a couple of diggers and I did slide a bunch of times - it was a little muddy and slippery and it was my first time dhing- but we figured out what happened....the red adjuster knob on the front brake and later the rear brake would get turned when the bike skidded when I slid out..........a turn of the dial a few times and things were much better.

I think we got at least three more runs in after lunch and by that time it was getting kind of late and I know I was getting really tired! but the last run of the day was really one of the most fun.....more to follow.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Our last run was super super fun up at the top section. First off, you get off the lift and there is a downhill stretch that is just fun as hell where you can really let it out and let the bike fly...........this was so damned fun I had permagrin on my face while riding it........I think I caught some mud in my teeth as a result too!

and then we went over to the "backside" of the mountain where the older lift runs up......and did this trail that was full of really fun rollers and jumps one right after the other........so awesome!!

We rode down a little more and Doug showed me this big arsed drop - I can't remember the name of it though - but it was quite impressive and I want to go back and see someone hit that sometime. :eek: :eek:

Then we finished up the run and called it one helluva fun day!!............

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Wow, you're becoming quite the connoisseur of different riding disciplines :) SOunds like a lot of fun although, I would have been quite terrified of slipping around on all those rocks at high speed.

Did you feel like you got banged up at all on the hardtail?

Man, I was really hoping to see some riding shots :(

So, now do you have the bug? :D Think you'll be downhilling more often?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Oh yeah and special thanks to Doug for finding my sunglasses! I fumbled and bumbled and dropped them off the lift as we were going up for a run! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Par for the course for MMcG!:D

So Thanks for finding them Eagle Eyes Doug!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
It was one helluva fun day on the DH trails and I can't wait to do it again. I've got the bug. :devil: :D

Here are bikes post-ride. Big Bike and Not so Big Bike ( but it worked fine for me today)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I came to realize that on a day like today............Fenders are good!

I caught a ton of mud flying up at my face - I really coulda used goggles.....or better yet even, a cool arsed ghettorigged fender Like Doug's! :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I can't thank Douglas enough for hosting me at his house, driving to Plattekill, helping me with a pain in the ass tire and also for all the great advice and encouragement he gave me today.

Two Thumbs up for Douglas! :cool: :thumb: :thumb: :)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Some funny stuff

1. messing with the fuggin tire in the mud
2. Noticing that Doug was missin a crank arm!:eek:
3. Fumbling and Dropping my glasses - but then finding them
4. Diggering but realizing I was okay.
5. A last run endo where my foot got stuck in between the frame and the seat! Me..."Ouch.........f*ck..........I'm stuck!" Doug came up and helped me remove my foot from me bike! :D
6. And then we saw this Old Timer on our way home!

The dude had a hat on, a thin helmet thing and then another helmet! But hey at least he was pedaling! :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by KPicha
Wow, you're becoming quite the connoisseur of different riding disciplines :) SOunds like a lot of fun although, I would have been quite terrified of slipping around on all those rocks at high speed.

Did you feel like you got banged up at all on the hardtail?

Man, I was really hoping to see some riding shots :(

So, now do you have the bug? :D Think you'll be downhilling more often?
Me and riding = :love: :love:

It was fun as hell today!! My back is a little sore but not too bad..the hardtail was okay really........I had a big fat arsed tire up front which helped......but I'd like to try again with some full squish. :)

And yep I do have the bug, but I also have the bug for trail riding, urban, road riding etc. etc. I guess I'm a cyclist now.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by TreeSaw
Sounds like an awesome experience! :D Doug's gonna make a DH rider out of you yet ;)
Doug kicks arse and he was very supportive and helpful and full of good advice.

He was a great first time DH guide and ride partner - oh yeah and he's got eagle eyes too! Saved me a big chunk of change by finding my glasses for me.:cool: :thumb:

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Glad to hear you had fun at P'kill. :thumb:
Yes, the run from the lift to the "old" side has several opportunities to air out the ol' cycle. Lotta great flow over on that side. Would that drop Douglas showed you be the infamous Broken Tooth?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
yup, yup, yup

Fun times! :D

Sat. was cool, good/cheap Taco,s, many pints and watching/laughing at all the crazy drunk partiers out and about on Lark st.

It was hard to be good and go home earlyish (was it 1:00 or 1:30 ?)

I bet some partiers are still "hurting"

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Soon as we pulled out of the driveway it started raining :( and kept raining :angry:

BUT by the time we arrived, got our lift passes, suited up, fixed MMcg's flat the rain was done for the day!!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by douglas
Soon as we pulled out of the driveway it started raining :( and kept raining :angry:

BUT by the time we arrived, got our lift passes, suited up, fixed MMcg's flat the rain was done for the day!!
And the sun came out in full force just as we left. :rolleyes:

Didn't matter though - the weather was perfect - we were riding our bikes after all right!? :D

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
MMcG did AWESOME for a first timer !!! (especially for one rocking a HARD tail)

I tried to show him a variety of the trerrain to be found at Plattekill, we hit some of last years race courses, made a couple trips over to the old lift side of the mountain (this means riding up a couple hills), checked out a few of the drops (including "snaggle tooth")

I saved one of my favorite runs for the end of the day (fun trail aka jump trail)..........it was a blast!!

did I mention MMcG did GREAT!!

I am sure plattekill will get a few more visits from MMcG!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Originally posted by MMcG
All in all it was one helluva day!

I had a blast and can't wait to do it again.

And Doug - you are the man! Thanks a million bro! :cool: :thumb: :dancing:

:thumb:

No, YOU the MAN!

Maybe, next time we can hit Patty on a race w/e !
:D :eek: :devil:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by douglas
:thumb:

No, YOU the MAN!

Maybe, next time we can hit Patty on a race w/e !
:D :eek: :devil:
I'd like that.......and if we get a chance on a weekend before a race I'd like that too.

I'm off to the buy and sell forum now. - see ya! ;) :D