Quantcast

My First Dual Suspension, circa 1994/5

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
This is the only photo I could find of a 95 Jamis Dakar Ultralight. Some joker has put a high rise stem and rearview mirrors on it. That bike was actually a really solid design, even by today's standards. Mine was spec'd out with Shimano XT and all KORE hardware. Even had some red-ano bar ends.
I think the design was lifted from a Turner frame - and yeah, that type still works to this day... I had the Giant ATX 990 from about the same era [welded by Linn Kastan i think]

Must be a dozen different frames with that linkage design, which only goes to prove how effective it was.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Mine:

I loved this bike. It just kept getting heavier and heavier...this pic is just before I added Profile Cranks, a Mr Dirt Chainguide with 38T ring, an Arrow front rim...good times.

Ah the days of 60lb hucking rigs...
I remember those - you got a lift to the top of the mountain, sat on it, and aimed downhill.... and bam! off you went! it ate rocks for snacks!

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
My first was an XCR 1500 like this one:

Mine had the "hydracoil" Judy SL, easton cockpit, and XT kit. Rode like crap.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
This rules for so many reasons! So many...

1. Its got that crazy fork
2. Its an early dually
3. Its a big dollar early dually
4. Cannondale licensed?
5. Was most likely made in the states
6. Suuuuper long stem!
7. Quill stem! Quill stem conversion even!
8. Gotta be more but I can't see the pic while writing this
that was the Rebound Monolith - or was is the Monolith Rebound? pretty hard to find a reference to it on the web these days....

and yes, was almost totally USA - frame from Chattanooga TN, forget where the Pings were, but Seattle comes to mind.

long stem cuz i was riding xc and cranking UP the hills... but i probably could have done better with a shorter stem.. technology and wisdom don't travel in pairs....

strangeland2

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
masshole
This was about 95 Id think. Started with a dyno comp traded that in for a rigid Univega and then a few months later traded the rigid in for this. Still have the bike but it hasnt been ridden in years.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I remember those - you got a lift to the top of the mountain, sat on it, and aimed downhill.... and bam! off you went! it ate rocks for snacks!
The funny thing is that I was young (15 or so) when I had that bike and I did not know about shuttling. I rode that thing everywhere, on the trails, I commuted to school with it, rode it to work, wherever.

I used to ride from my parent's house to downtown Phoenix at night a lot, do urban riding - which basically consisted of finding stuff to drop off to flat.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
that was the Rebound Monolith - or was is the Monolith Rebound?QUOTE]

The company was Monolith. Designed by Spencer Owyang. He made a crazy looking frame as well. These days he makes parts for motorcycles.
Ah, yes. I forgot about Spence.... I think he went 'back' into motorcycles the year after he produced this fork.

I had a lot of one-off forks, two different ones a year.

remember Lawwill Leader by Control Tech?
IRD? [with rollercam cantilevers]
AMP? [with twin dampers]
One of all early Rockshocks [Mag21 TiSL, Judy XC and DHO [haha] SID and then whatever came with the bike] and the disk brake for the Mag21
Marzocchi XC500 [if memory serves - bladed dropouts with 3 holes]
ActionTec AND Cannondale [too many to list]
of course, Stratos [moving on]
later Gen Marzocchi - Z1 BAM and then some misc others with bikes...

i was a fork whore, i guess.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
My first dually was a '98(?) Trek VRX400. Bent the cranks, then the frame.
Upgraded the Vee's to the original 22mm 6" Hayes.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I got my first FS in the Fall of 1998, about ten years after I started on MTBs. The Judy lasted less than a dozen rides and RS warrantied it and gave me a Judy XL dual crown. I almost got an Sworks FSR in the early 90s when Specialized made their first FS frameset, but luckily I got the M2 hardtail instead, the FSR sucked back then...

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
this is mine

an 1998 Nicolai Virus 100mm travel.

the pic's from 2001 (still have the frame) with a judy 100, Magura Louise brakes, Mavic 321/729 rims etc...

first it had Magura HS 22 hydraulic brakes a White brothers XC 90 fork
and XC wheels from my 1995 bontrager race with mavic 112 SUP Ceramic rims :D

Attachments

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

1996 whaaaaaaat
This bike was rad...rode it everywhere. I couldn't jump, but I watched a friend take it over a set of doubles. This isn't my bike, but on mine the elastomers popped out of the plastic top caps (WTF???) on the first ride and hit me in the chest. I took it back to Dick's and they replaced the fork, then I found out they were warrantying the forks due to bad manufacturing. I think I still have that fork somewhere. The bushing went too. Later I put on a purple ano girvin rockring. Tres chic. Then the fastrax shock unthreaded itself and stripped out.