Quantcast

My first nice car.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
My 92 **** itself at 125k. I always liked the toyota mini trucks, wish mine had lived up to the reputation of others.
It's probably the most overhyped brand in the automotive world. The three my parents owned were apparently lemons, and while the engines worked well in two of them (1 blew a headgasket, but this is the 80s we're talking about) the car falls apart around the motor.....

Good, yes. Reliable, yes. the most reliable cars in the universe? Hardly.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
It's probably the most overhyped brand in the automotive world. The three my parents owned were apparently lemons, and while the engines worked well in two of them (1 blew a headgasket, but this is the 80s we're talking about) the car falls apart around the motor.....

I would agree. My truck was a cali truck though, so it was rust free, until it spent one winter in northern Michigan. Of course it probably wouldn't have gotten so rusty had it not been forced to sit outside in the elements all winter due to said blown motor.

Each and every brand has their issues.
My buddy had an audi once. That was enough for me to never want one, but damn, the OP's car is stylin as hell. I really like it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Heh.

Anyway, am I the only one who pigeon holes an Audi as immediately having an arrogant D-bag in ther who will at some point ride my bumper like a dog humpin' a strangers leg?

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you got that mixed up with bmw owners.

what nice go-fast car do you not associate with douchebaggery? i will take note and make sure i get that next time i buy a car.
:stupid:

Audi drivers are typically less douchey than most other luxobarge captains. The one exception involves chrome mirrors, in which case it's either 55 year old lawyers or 25 year old high functioning autistics with a trust fund.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast

not to bust your bubble here, but i think youre doing it wrong.. either that or you just need to be more thorough when purchasing a vehicle (im assuming used) ;)

me and my buddy both have a 94 toyota. weve both got 200k on the stock motor, mines runs better but looks worse.. my buddy drives around with his temp gauge pretty much maxed out (cause he doesnt care), and his truck still runs fine.. i also know many other people whove got twice the miles on their tacos and theyre still running strong! ive yet to find a more reliable vehicle.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Not really. I've seen my fair share of crappy toyotas. The japanese make really good motors, but their cars fall victim to the same stuff as everybody else. Why is his temp gauge stuck up high? Why is your car rusting out? Those are reliability issues too.

I've seen Audis (yes, Audis) with over 250k on the factory motor. It doesn't mean much!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
:stupid:

Audi drivers are typically less douchey than most other luxobarge captains. The one exception involves chrome mirrors, in which case it's either 55 year old lawyers or 25 year old high functioning autistics with a trust fund.
My experience is there are as many douchey in non luxury cars than luxury cars. I think people just hate it more when the douch can afford a nice car.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
My experience is there are as many douchey in non luxury cars than luxury cars. I think people just hate it more when the douch can afford a nice car.
i read a theory about people who have expensive cars likely fall into type A personalities who are used to getting their way, and have no qualms about maintaining that behavior when behind the wheel.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
There was a story a few years back about a guy who stole an altima from a car dealership near boston. He claimed he "wanted to drive his dream car". A frikkin' altima...

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Exhibit "A" witnessed yesterday on 495. White Altima pulled an a-hole move almost taking out 2 other cars going across 3 lanes at the last second to exit.

Dumba$$ could have simply moved to the right lane earlier instead of passing another car that wasn't even getting off the highway. :think:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
not to bust your bubble here, but i think youre doing it wrong.. either that or you just need to be more thorough when purchasing a vehicle (im assuming used) ;)

me and my buddy both have a 94 toyota. weve both got 200k on the stock motor, mines runs better but looks worse.. my buddy drives around with his temp gauge pretty much maxed out (cause he doesnt care), and his truck still runs fine.. i also know many other people whove got twice the miles on their tacos and theyre still running strong! ive yet to find a more reliable vehicle.
Oh, someone had a different experience than you. We both must have done it wrong and only the people with good experiences with toyotas are doing it right?

Re-read, I believe we both said they were the most OVER hyped brand out there. Toyota owners are RIDICULOUSLY loyal, to a fault, they are as bad as or possibly worse than a cummins owner with his tow mirrors flipped out on a truck that doesn't even have a hitch.

My toyota sucked, I know of many others who had bad experiences too....but guess what? I know people who had ****ty fords, GM's, Dodges, Nissan's, jeeps, VW's, Audis, bmw's, etc. Need I go on?

Neil did you see this one?
no i haven't, but thanks for the link.

from what i've read on the various audi enthusiast forums, the S4 3Liter Supercharged powerplant is pretty versatile, in terms of squeezing out virtually any sort of characteristic performance profile via a simple ECU remap (flash, chip, whatever).

however, i think you give up reliability through increased wear and tear of the engine and transmission via those power gains.

while through a landmark court case, manufacturers must prove that a specific mod performed by the consumer (or aftermarket vendor) resulted in engine failure to void the warranty, i have heard of countless stories of folks that have chipped their S4 that AudiUSA either voided or hassled them about warranty work.

being that this car has a lien and has the remainder of AudiCare, i'm gonna refrain from doing any serious engine remapping until either the car is paid off or the audicare has expired.

it already has an exhaust (supposedly gained a few HP, but better sound), and i may put in an intake (supposedly also will gain a few HP, but most engine tunes get full benefit from a less restrictive intake). i also have a RS4-style grill that i will be adding for looks. and thats prob about it.

i have been tossing around the idea of doing a very modest engine remap, just getting maybe another 30-40hp and more low end torque, in order to minimize the impact on reliability.

the more i drive it, the more i like it. on "comfort" mode, its a very refined and composed sedan for daily commutes. switch to "dynamic" and it's like a rocket from standstill and rips corners like its on rails.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Did you see last weeks Top Gear where they tested the new Golf GTI in all the different modes. The comfort mode was the fastest. I know the show is not the most scientific but I am pretty sure the whole mode thing has gone the way of marketing more than actual speed gain and in the process loss of comfort.

Personally I would do like you. More than enough power in that car already for me to get myself in way too much trouble.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot

Thanks for validating my point: The cars fall apart around the motors.

Even at that, the motors can't hold a candle to what Volvo did up until the V8 and T6. 200k? That's nothing. Try 500k overboosted on a turbo'd B230FT and still running strong till I got creamed on an onramp by a guy in, believe it or not, a Toyota (not that it means anything, just thought it was funny given this thread). Current B230FT is at 300k with big cam, Big injectors, running more boost and still has nearly stock compression and doesn't eat oil. It's the AK47 of the motor world. By far the most reliable motor (well, the B18, B20, B21 and B23 is technically more reliable, as it's documented as the most reliable in the world by all accounts, at 3M milles with a few rebuilds), and the T5 isn't that bad either for a more modern block. When I knew I was going to scrap my 850 I didn't change the oil for 1 year, 50,000. Try that with your yota and you'll be blowing smoke in a few months.

Yet, you don't see the same rabid fanboism about being the 'most reliable' as Toyota fans seem to have, even though it's hardly validated. Whereas it's proven fact in the B2xx instances.

Just saying, you're doing it wrong if you think a Toyota is a shining beacon of reliability when they didn't galvanize bodies till the 90s.

Edit: As kickstand eluded to, maybe other people have different experiences. Being up here in the salt belt, you get to see what cars actually last in bad environments, and aside from their offroad vehicles, Yota's from the 80s and 90s didn't take to time as well as fanboy's would believe.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
no i haven't, but thanks for the link.

from what i've read on the various audi enthusiast forums, the S4 3Liter Supercharged powerplant is pretty versatile, in terms of squeezing out virtually any sort of characteristic performance profile via a simple ECU remap (flash, chip, whatever).

however, i think you give up reliability through increased wear and tear of the engine and transmission via those power gains.

while through a landmark court case, manufacturers must prove that a specific mod performed by the consumer (or aftermarket vendor) resulted in engine failure to void the warranty, i have heard of countless stories of folks that have chipped their S4 that AudiUSA either voided or hassled them about warranty work.

being that this car has a lien and has the remainder of AudiCare, i'm gonna refrain from doing any serious engine remapping until either the car is paid off or the audicare has expired.

it already has an exhaust (supposedly gained a few HP, but better sound), and i may put in an intake (supposedly also will gain a few HP, but most engine tunes get full benefit from a less restrictive intake). i also have a RS4-style grill that i will be adding for looks. and thats prob about it.

i have been tossing around the idea of doing a very modest engine remap, just getting maybe another 30-40hp and more low end torque, in order to minimize the impact on reliability.

the more i drive it, the more i like it. on "comfort" mode, its a very refined and composed sedan for daily commutes. switch to "dynamic" and it's like a rocket from standstill and rips corners like its on rails.
30hp is a nice difference. You'll feel it.

Also, check out running Shell Rotella T6 oil in place of standard oil. Read up on why diesel oils are better for your motor (but not your cat...) and why many high performance builders and bike's run it now.

Wish I could grab a newer DD and shell out my current ride for the track, but alas property is expensive and that's priority for the next few years. Very nice car. Enjoy it.

a quick update :D

i added: AWE Resonated Downpipes (to cut down on in-cabin drone at low engine loads), RS4 styled honeycomb grill.

planned: Stage II tune with pulley, Eurocode Alu Kreuz, 19" VMR rims in gunmetal.

i learned that i supremely dislike front license plate requirement law.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Sharp car man. I love the way those look. I almost pulled the trigger on a mint, black 06 RS4 a couple years ago. It was a blast to drive.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
A car with a maxed out temp gauge isnt something to be brag about. Either the owner is too stupid to fix the temp sensor or cluster, or too lazy (ie stupid) Personally thats one of the few items on the car I watch, on any car.
...and if your somehow saying that he drives it all the time with it almost overheating both you and him are beyond ****ing stupid.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
A car with a maxed out temp gauge isnt something to be brag about. Either the owner is too stupid to fix the temp sensor or cluster, or too lazy (ie stupid) Personally thats one of the few items on the car I watch, on any car.
...and if your somehow saying that he drives it all the time with it almost overheating both you and him are beyond ****ing stupid.
Woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning sweetheart?

ButtersNZ

Monkey
Jun 6, 2013
I don't mean to brag, but I just picked up this bad boy. 200 kms, original paint. Dat economy :cool: Now has a tow bar for shuttle runs.

Last edited: