Quantcast

My kid's friends...

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I got busted stealing from Walmart when I was 17. I'm not allowed in any Walmart in the entire world.

That was probably the stupidest thing I have ever done.... wait... no there are lots more things.... thats just one of them.
stupidest things??? I think not. Getting yourself banned from every walmart on earth was probably one of the best things you could have done.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
It took 2 trips to jail (2 day stay the first time, 5 day stay the second time) before it sunk in. He has finally finished his probation and hasn't been in trouble since.
Damn. Let's hope it sticks.

I told my kid that if it was her who stole the merchandise, we would be having a conversation about what labor camp in the desert she would be sent to.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
damn, sucks that you got put in that position. hopefully your daughter will learn from it.

i'm surprised to hear that you have a teenage daughter who never swears in front of you. ok, now i could be wrong because i'm making a bit of an assumption, but i am going off of what i can remember you posting about rules and everything that your daughter needs to follow. don't get mad if i'm wrong, i'm just trying to help.

i think you may be a little too strict with your daughter in some situations. now i completely understand your reasons for acting the way you are, but i think from this point on you need to be slightly more lenient on some things and be completely honest with her. your daughter doesn't sound like the type who is already out of control and once you give her just a tiny bit more freedom she is going to go nuts with it, so it's definitely worth a shot.

i grew up in a upper-middle class town with many kids who have been raised in fairly strict households. a handful of these kids were some of the wildest that i know of in my town. when you tell your kid not to drink or something like that and threaten some huge punishment, you are almost encouraging them to do that, especially if they have to go through that constantly. they already live in what they think is a fairly oppressive household, how worse can it actually get if they get caught?

be more open with your daughter and she will be more open with you. talk to her about situations that generally most parents wish their kids didn't get in, but they know they do anyways. partying is probably the best one to talk about because it has a huge presence in high school.

granted i didn't really start drinking until halfway through my senior year of high school, i still did so many dumb things at that point and i just kept lying to keep from getting in trouble. the dam broke when i had a couple friends over before going out to a party and some empties were left behind. i thought i was done for, it was the beginning of my last summer before going off to college and i just got caught throwing a small party at my house. my parents were very pissed, but i ended up not getting officially grounded or anything. the first thing they said to me was that they no longer trust me and that if i wanted to be able to go out and hang out with my friends, i had to be completely honest from that point on. i decided to stay in for a little while mainly because my friends who were over were kind of pissed because they thought that i was going to rat them out. needless to say, i'm not very good friends with those kids anymore.

once everything started to cool down, my parents opened up with me about drinking. they said they knew i drank and that there wasn't much they could do about it, but what they did emphasize to me was that even if i or a friend had just one beer, they didn't want us getting behind the wheel of a car. my parents are fine with me drinking, as long as i don't overdo it and get alcohol poisoning and someone sober is behind the wheel. since that point, i tell my parents exactly where i'm going and whether or not there will be drinking. everytime i have the keys, i don't touch alcohol.

just some food for thought. as much as you might not like getting parenting advice from a 19 year old, i'm just trying to give you some insight from the perspective of someone closer to your daughter's age who understands exactly what she is going through.

not to mention i have noticed kids who never partied in high school go crazy once they get to college. i've lost track of the number of freshman girls who i have seen booting every which way every weekend because they just threw themselves into the party scene without figuring out their limits first. don't force responsibility upon your daughter, give her some freedom to prove to you that she can be responsible(even after messing up once) on her own. you will have so much more peace of mind in 2 years when she is moving out.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Jeremy, I think maybe you set this kid off, didnt you. Made some smart azz comment about the kids parents and he went all fvcking mental and did away with them. Its your fault isnt it?
I probaly said something like,
"Whoever bought you those shoes needs to be shot!"

Crazy people take things so literally.:shocked:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Damn. Let's hope it sticks.

I told my kid that if it was her who stole the merchandise, we would be having a conversation about what labor camp in the desert she would be sent to.
My wife had told him (sort of jokingly) to never call from jail. When he got busted, he called his best friends parents who called us.

His last stint in jail was a few months ago. His boss decided to bail him out because he is her kitchen manager and she was lost without him. He took noticed of it and has since been in line. He has an awesome work ethic, it just took a little to get him to understand "the law".

I now know how peer pressure can be for some kids. Our daughter will have a lot of freedoms, but will be watched very closely.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
i think you may be a little too strict with your daughter in some situations. now i completely understand your reasons for acting the way you are, but i think from this point on you need to be slightly more lenient on some things and be completely honest with her. your daughter doesn't sound like the type who is already out of control and once you give her just a tiny bit more freedom she is going to go nuts with it, so it's definitely worth a shot.
While underage drinking is a crime, I believe this is two different circumstances.

Ultimately people of any age could drink and be responsible, and discussion and a bit of freedom is key.

However, stealing is not acceptable in any circumstance, and I am not sure how you can make an allowance.

You might consider shoplifting as part of larger set of "youthful mischief", and possibly it is. One difference however, is responsibility. Having a few (or more than a few) beers with your buddies is one thing. However, if one of them decided to commit a crime (besides underage drinking) and you are a party to it, then you are taking responsibility for his actions as well.

I won't associate myself with people who are committing crimes for very good reason. His daughter has to learn that being involved with the wrong kind of people does bring you down as well.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
just some food for thought. as much as you might not like getting parenting advice from a 19 year old, i'm just trying to give you some insight from the perspective of someone closer to your daughter's age who understands exactly what she is going through.
If I thought you had any idea what she has been through I would consider your advise.

However, she has already been through much more than most kids should ever have to deal with, living in a filthy house with an abusive mother who smoked speed and who knows what else.

I pulled her from the train wreck that was her mother's life.

She is tall, smart, polite and gentle. She has a good conscience and strong moral character. That is no accident. Her biggest problem is the typical low self esteem that many kids struggle with at that age. She is finally learning that she can have friends who are actually more like the rad person she really is.

We are strict but it's not an authoritarian strictness. I was only 21 when she was born. I can remember what being 16 is like. I know I still resent not having some firm guidance when I needed it the most.

She knows that a person needs to realize the consequences of their actions. She accepts this and takes responsibility.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
However, stealing is not acceptable in any circumstance, and I am not sure how you can make an allowance.
My kid understands this perfectly. We are both dumbfounded at her friend's parents lack of discipline.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
:plthumbsdown:.
EVERY teenager gives the same "parenting advice". You know nothing of strict parents.

H8R et al... you're freaking me out here. Stop it. Tell me good things about kids like how they bring you beers and mow the lawn! I don't know what I am looking forward to more... wiping it's ass or it growing up and being a teenager. :twitch:

Edit: And H8R, it sounds like you are dealing with thias issue in the best way that one can. From what you say it sounds like your daughter will make it through being a kid and become a damn fine adult despite serious challenges being thrown at her. (Like having a keytar playing drummer for a father. Though I suppose it could be worse, you could be a bass player :p)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
my dad was very old school...

N8's Dad said:
"..if your... teenage kids don’t think you are a dictatorial son-of-a-bitch then you aren't doing your job.."

Hang in there H8R.

We have a 15 year old who should be on a 5 day long end-of-year school band trip this week, but he is staying home because he didn't fully understand the "..get another zero on a homework assignment and you are not going on a trip" rule.

:)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
EVERY teenager gives the same "parenting advice". You know nothing of strict parents.

H8R et al... you're freaking me out here. Stop it. Tell me good things about kids like how they bring you beers and mow the lawn! I don't know what I am looking forward to more... wiping it's ass or it growing up and being a teenager. :twitch:
Well all the awesome stuff about having kids would be boring, huh?

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I don't know what I am looking forward to more... wiping it's ass or it growing up and being a teenager. :twitch:
The diaper thing aint bad at all, so don't sweat it.

Disclaimer: My daughter is a petite one year old. I can't speak for freakishly large children who may defecate profusely.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Great quote.

If your kids think you are the coolest thing ever, you are fvcking up big time.
yep.

my old man was from the Depression & WWII Era when you went to work in 6th grade to help support your family.

Punishment was harsh but fair. Years later one of my best friends told me he'd wished his parents we as strict on him as my folks because he would have been better off as an adult.

You're doing it wrong if you think raising teenagers is easy.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
First of all, I hope you can convince your daughter that her "friend" is no good and to avoid her at all costs.

Second, I would do the tough love program, starting with a trip to the police station/jail then a visit to your bike shop, preferably the one with a bunch of smart mouth kids.

Mention how your daughter is a thief, and she will hear lots of obnoxious comments from hard working individuals who dream up ways to execute bike thieves.

Tough love may not be necessary if she gets it the first time around. From everything I'm reading here, she just may get it. From everything I can read in here, sounds like H8R is doing just fine, and I think his daughter will be OK too.

Sometimes all it takes is "once" for something to sink in, and different choices to be made next time. Tough love is for kids that are borderline incorrigible, are consistently making bad/stupid/dangerous choices, and have no reaction to typical bad consequences.

gg

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Great quote.

If your kids think you are the coolest thing ever, you are fvcking up big time.
Not necessarily, tho I can see why you might say that. My son ( hs senior) gave us the double thumbs up the other day, says we are the only parents he knows of that that aren't really messed up. We have rules and responsibilities, ask for accountability;:we are parents, not "buddies" but it's cool that he thinks we are cool.:monkeydance:

gg

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Last summer my former partner's 19 year old son was driving home at 12:30 AM along a very dark rual two lane highway.

He hit and killed a 2 year old baby and the kid's dog that happend to be in the middle of the road. He had consumed one beer a couple hrs prior to the accident. At the time he didn't know what he's hit so he went home got his dad and when back to the scene. The cops arrested him after be blew a 0.02 on the breath-a-lizer. The accident was unavoidable but because he had that beer and was under 21 he was arrested for DUI.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
We have a 15 year old who should be on a 5 day long end-of-year school band trip this week, but he is staying home because he didn't full understand the "..get another zero on a homework assignment and you are not going on a trip" rule.

:)
Good move...follow up on threats/promises is key. Once they think your threats are empty, you are sunk...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sorry H8R, could not resist giving you more positive rep for this latest example of parental skill and family values. From what I can tell the world would be a better place if more people had parents like you. Which is pretty damn awesome and kind of ironic considering how some confused parents probably feel about the evil influence of your music on their kids, etc.

:clapping:

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Last summer my former partner's 19 year old son was driving home at 12:30 AM along a very dark rual two lane highway.

He hit and killed a 2 year old baby and the kid's dog that happend to be in the middle of the road. He had consumed one beer a couple hrs prior to the accident. At the time he didn't know what he's hit so he went home got his dad and when back to the scene. The cops arrested him after be blew a 0.02 on the breath-a-lizer. The accident was unavoidable but because he had that beer and was under 21 he was arrested for DUI.
That's pretty much the most horrible thing I've heard all week.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!

Why was there a baby in the road at midnight?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch

Hold up. WTF was a 2 year old kid doing in the middle of the street at 12.30?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
sanjuro said:

You might consider shoplifting as part of larger set of "youthful mischief", and possibly it is. One difference however, is responsibility. Having a few (or more than a few) beers with your buddies is one thing. However, if one of them decided to commit a crime (besides underage drinking) and you are a party to it, then you are taking responsibility for his actions as well.
i'm not trying to say that he is being too strict about the whole stealing part, i too think that stealing is unacceptable. but every post i read from H8R about his daughter makes him seem controlling. sure it may not seem to bad to all of you who look back fondly on how strict your parents were, but do you remember back when you were a teenager how you felt like an adult and yet were still constantly treated like a child? these days, you can't keep a kid in line with fear. so instilling the same exact rules that your parents put in place when you were growing up is going to be ineffective and for the most part will breed distrust once your kid reaches high school. why should a kid be honest with you when they know that they will just get in trouble for it? the oldest kid in a family is always the hardest because parents usually don't know when to give their kid more freedom and begin to treat them as a mature human being instead of as a child. i had to witness this in my own house when my older sister was a freshman and sophomore in high school and i was every so often the target of my sister's pent up rage that stemmed from the distrust between her and my parents. i'm not just pulling **** out of my ass here because i think all parents are fascists.
are you referring to your generation's parents? then of course most people my age don't know what your definition of "strict" is, it is no longer socially acceptable to beat your kids or threaten violence to keep them in line.

society has changed a good deal since most of the parents here were kids, even over the past 10 years so much has changed. so i don't really get why people are trying to raise their kids the way they did in the 50s and 60s. i'm not saying people just need to let their kids run free and do whatever they want, everyone just needs to realize that these days it is so much more effective to just level with their kids and try and foster a relationship built on trust and mutual respect.

i'm not completely sure why everyone is immediately dismissing my advice, all of the advice that i am giving on being honest and not trying to be a dictator is from my personal experiences. i guess i'm just trying to get across the point that parents don't need to rule with an iron fist or baby/shelter their kids in order for them to turn out ok.

i'm not saying this is the end-all-be-all for raising kids, i just figured i would try and give a different point of view on the subject. trust me, i know all too well what it's like at that age when you are just trying as hard as you can to fit in and your self esteem is in the gutter. i am well aware of how peer pressure can make you cave in when you're that meek, little kid just trying to make some friends. i still haven't completely shaken off the remnants of that stage, so i can say that i can definitely relate to what is happening with H8R's daughter's social life. so many things in my life have gotten so much easier since my parents finally opened up and let me know that i could trust them not to pass judgement or punish me if i needed someone to talk to, i still have so many friends who don't trust their parents because they don't have anyone in their family to talk to without worrying about getting in trouble.

but whatever, i mean i'm just some dumb kid, what the hell do i know about teenagers?

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
i'm not trying to say that he is being too strict about the whole stealing part, i too think that stealing is unacceptable. but every post i read from H8R about his daughter makes him seem controlling. sure it may not seem to bad to all of you who look back fondly on how strict your parents were, but do you remember back when you were a teenager how you felt like an adult and yet were still constantly treated like a child? these days, you can't keep a kid in line with fear. so instilling the same exact rules that your parents put in place when you were growing up is going to be ineffective and for the most part will breed distrust once your kid reaches high school. why should a kid be honest with you when they know that they will just get in trouble for it? the oldest kid in a family is always the hardest because parents usually don't know when to give their kid more freedom and begin to treat them as a mature human being instead of as a child. i had to witness this in my own house when my older sister was a freshman and sophomore in high school and i was every so often the target of my sister's pent up rage that stemmed from the distrust between her and my parents. i'm not just pulling **** out of my ass here because i think all parents are fascists.

are you referring to your generation's parents? then of course most people my age don't know what your definition of "strict" is, it is no longer socially acceptable to beat your kids or threaten violence to keep them in line.

society has changed a good deal since most of the parents here were kids, even over the past 10 years so much has changed. so i don't really get why people are trying to raise their kids the way they did in the 50s and 60s. i'm not saying people just need to let their kids run free and do whatever they want, everyone just needs to realize that these days it is so much more effective to just level with their kids and try and foster a relationship built on trust and mutual respect.

i'm not completely sure why everyone is immediately dismissing my advice, all of the advice that i am giving on being honest and not trying to be a dictator is from my personal experiences. i guess i'm just trying to get across the point that parents don't need to rule with an iron fist or baby/shelter their kids in order for them to turn out ok.

i'm not saying this is the end-all-be-all for raising kids, i just figured i would try and give a different point of view on the subject. trust me, i know all too well what it's like at that age when you are just trying as hard as you can to fit in and your self esteem is in the gutter. i am well aware of how peer pressure can make you cave in when you're that meek, little kid just trying to make some friends. i still haven't completely shaken off the remnants of that stage, so i can say that i can definitely relate to what is happening with H8R's daughter's social life. so many things in my life have gotten so much easier since my parents finally opened up and let me know that i could trust them not to pass judgement or punish me if i needed someone to talk to, i still have so many friends who don't trust their parents because they don't have anyone in their family to talk to without worrying about getting in trouble.

but whatever, i mean i'm just some dumb kid, what the hell do i know about teenagers?
Besides being 19, what credentials do you have to support your theory?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
<so many heart-felt things>
ummm...you may be conflating control w/ protection. as a parent who's been around the way, i'm pretty sure he's giving advise in a tone which competes with the sh1tstorm that is the teenage years.

consider the alternatives: he leave tracts on her bed printed up by the AD council for her to optionally read when she gets home at 9 a.m., he becomes her buddy in hopes of having a peer connection w/ all its influences, or he weeps bitterly at her funeral, bloated w/ regret.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004

Let me suggest that you print out these posts you've made and save them for when/if you have kids, then re-read them.

It doesn't matter what year it is, good parenting skills are timeless.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Besides being 19, what credentials do you have to support your theory?
my life experiences are what support my theory, even though i may be advocating something that most here don't agree with, that doesn't mean i'm just preaching about the way i was raised. i've gone through everything that i wrote about. it would be quite wrong for everyone to just make the blanket assumption that i had a perfectly happy childhood where i got to run free through the fields with bunnies and rainbows. i may not have experienced being raised by a single parent or being in poverty, i can tell you that there has been no shortage of conflicts within my family or within myself in my lifetime.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Hold up. WTF was a 2 year old kid doing in the middle of the street at 12.30?
Sad tale for all involved... Kevin's dad told him hundreds and hundres of times.. DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE. Unfortunately, one beer was the difference between an unavoidable accident and a conviction.

http://www.ktbs.com/news/Driver-who-killed-toddler-pleads-guilty-to-underage-DWI,-leaving-scene-of-accident-5707/

http://www.stormtracker12.com/global/story.asp?s=6824235&ClientType=Printable

The death of young Nickolas Haynes can be a lesson for other parents. Nickolas, just two and a half years old, was killed after his babysitter says he somehow opened the door and walked out and onto Hwy 157 in Haughton. He was then hit by a car around 12:30. The dirver of the car, police say was 19 year old Kevin Theriot of Haughton who is charged with underage DWI, hit and run and vehicular homicide.

What happened to Nickolas can be prevented. Child proofing your home can be easy and inexpensive. For less than 50 cents families can by a latch lock that can help prevent a door from opening. Experts say install it at the very top of the door that way little ones can't reach it. There are also door knob guards that cost a few dollars that can stop little hands from being able to grip a door handle and open it.

Finally if your home is wired with an alarm try to always keep it set. That was as soon as the door opens, the alarm will sound.
There are lots of websites that offer several tips and most only cost a few dollars.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
my life experiences are what support my theory, even though i may be advocating something that most here don't agree with, that doesn't mean i'm just preaching about the way i was raised. i've gone through everything that i wrote about. it would be quite wrong for everyone to just make the blanket assumption that i had a perfectly happy childhood where i got to run free through the fields with bunnies and rainbows. i may not have experienced being raised by a single parent or being in poverty, i can tell you that there has been no shortage of conflicts within my family or within myself in my lifetime.
It was a rhetorical question.

Look, I know you believe what you say and that's cool, but I think you'll find that most actual parents would disagree with you. For reasons you'll understand when you are one.

What H8r said is VERY TRUE: Good parenting is timeless.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
It doesn't matter what year it is, good parenting skills are timeless.
yup, and i'm pretty sure that communication is a pretty good parenting skill to have. if you actually read my posts, what i'm trying to say is that your kid needs to really trust you and there needs to be mutual respect for there to be good communication. i guess it just got lost in all of the other **** i wrote. this thread just got me worked up because it brought to the surface a lot of personal issues that i haven't had to deal with in a while. it's not really possible for me to make any sort of a good argument right now due to the levels of emotion and stress(woo finals!) that i am currently battling. i just needed to get some things off my chest somewhere, but this really wasn't the place where i should've tried to air out my dirty laundry.

all of you are right, my advice should really only be taken with a grain of salt. i don't know what it's like to be a parent and i probably never will. it never occurred to me until just now how defensive parents get of how they raise their kids, it must be like a slap in the face to have someone tell you that you are doing it wrong. especially when it's coming from a 19 year old kid who too often thinks he has a good grasp on the situation and needs to toss in his $0.02.

i will leave this thread now so i won't make myself look like a pretentious douchebag anymore than i already have and so i won't turn this thread into a dr. phil episode.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
all of you are right, my advice should really only be taken with a grain of salt. i don't know what it's like to be a parent and i probably never will. it never occurred to me until just now how defensive parents get of how they raise their kids, it must be like a slap in the face to have someone tell you that you are doing it wrong. especially when it's coming from a 19 year old kid who too often thinks he has a good grasp on the situation and needs to toss in his $0.02.
am i correct in assuming you 19 years old?