Quantcast

My New IronHorse Sunday, Many PICS, Thanks for the Help

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
MOTODH said:
I am 5 11 and weigh 160, the 275 spring feels pretty good but I will wait and see after the tune. As for the fork I think i may get softer springs and I got measurments for the oil levels from Acadian.
Looking forward to riding it.

Thanks for making an awesome bike:thumb:

Also when i send the shock to progressive do I include riding style and weight? not to sure on the whole process
thanks
I'm about (well was) the same weight and run the same # spring on mine. Works great, especially after getting the Sunday Tune.

Salami is right on...you will need two soft springs in the BoXXer.

I'm going to get my Sunday painted soon...now I just have to decide what color :cool:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
MOTODH said:
I am 5 11 and weigh 160, the 275 spring feels pretty good but I will wait and see after the tune. As for the fork I think i may get softer springs and I got measurments for the oil levels from Acadian.
Looking forward to riding it.

Thanks for making an awesome bike:thumb:

Also when i send the shock to progressive do I include riding style and weight? not to sure on the whole process
thanks
Right on, I am the same heigt and weight as you . On my 06 Boxxer WC I run two ti softs. I am not sure what the actual spring rates are, but you may be able to mix that X-soft ti and Medium that Salami has and get the same result. I'll see what I can dig up for you on that.

I would call progressive and talk to the guys. See what they say. There is a lot of adjustability in the shocks, and they will be able to give you a tune that should feel great with tuning. To start off you will want to run about 50-70 psi in the CVT chamber with it turned in 1 turn from full open. Low speed (beginning stroke) compression should be backed all the way out, and maybe turn the high speed in about 1.5 turns or so. That will be a good baseline.

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
FastTimes said:
Really nice bike, looks like it will be a blast to ride.

One thing I am curious about tho is why the weld around the seattube/toptube junction is not complete around the seattube? Guess it's just a gusset, just looks off. Maybe the pic?

pce,
If the weld went all the way across, on this particular location given the specifics of the tube shape and forces invloved there would be a stress concentration. Think of it as addition by subtraction. Just paying attention to the little details, you know? :)

Dave

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
dw said:
If the weld went all the way across, on this particular location given the specifics of the tube shape and forces invloved there would be a stress concentration. Think of it as addition by subtraction. Just paying attention to the little details, you know? :)

Dave
Thanks Dave,

I figure that was the case once I noticed it was the gusset and not the top tube. The pic just made the weld look off centre and it threw me off.

Those bike look great!

Pce,

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Acadian said:
I'm about (well was) the same weight and run the same # spring on mine. Works great, especially after getting the Sunday Tune.

Salami is right on...you will need two soft springs in the BoXXer.

I'm going to get my Sunday painted soon...now I just have to decide what color :cool:

sounds good, it think i am going to run one medium and one x soft, should be sweet

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
dw said:
Right on, I am the same heigt and weight as you . On my 06 Boxxer WC I run two ti softs. I am not sure what the actual spring rates are, but you may be able to mix that X-soft ti and Medium that Salami has and get the same result. I'll see what I can dig up for you on that.

I would call progressive and talk to the guys. See what they say. There is a lot of adjustability in the shocks, and they will be able to give you a tune that should feel great with tuning. To start off you will want to run about 50-70 psi in the CVT chamber with it turned in 1 turn from full open. Low speed (beginning stroke) compression should be backed all the way out, and maybe turn the high speed in about 1.5 turns or so. That will be a good baseline.

Dave

Ok thanks, btw did you mean 05 boxxer wc pretty sure there aren't springs in the 06:p
anyhow thanks for the help:thumb:

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Acadian what brand oil do you use and reccomend for boxxers. I know the oil height/ weight just not sure which brand to buy.
Thanks

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
sayndesyn said:
FYI I snapped one of those FUNN Soljam's at the axle this summer. Might of happened to another pedal, then again maybe not...

hmm interesting Ill keep an eye on them

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
dw said:
Dave

I got the spring rates-

x-soft- 10lb-in
soft- 15 lb-in
medium- 20 lb-in

I am going with one x-soft ti and one medium in the front, should be great.

Thanks

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
sayndesyn said:
FYI I snapped one of those FUNN Soljam's at the axle this summer. Might of happened to another pedal, then again maybe not...
good to see ya back here man ho... the bearings in one of my funns are pretty shot...

cheap azz pedals i reckon... the quality is pretty shoddy...

sick bike tho :)

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
rockymt21 said:
Ohh,

And let me know how those pedals work out. They look interesting, I can't figure out which pedals I am going to get.

Dan
Don't want to deceive you but these pedals are a piece of sh**t. The kind of griptape (like on a skateboard) that is on the center of the pedal just does not help at all when conditons get muddy or even a bit wet. There not wide enough nor are the pins long enough. Anyway, I don't recommend them at all.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
ZoRo said:
Don't want to deceive you but these pedals are a piece of sh**t. The kind of griptape (like on a skateboard) that is on the center of the pedal just does not help at all when conditons get muddy or even a bit wet. There not wide enough nor are the pins long enough. Anyway, I don't recommend them at all.

hmm I might just switch them out, well see

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
ZoRo said:
what shoes are you running? with all the pins, my 5.10s are almost *too* grippy. the griptape might not be that effective, but the 10 pins (or whatever) per side are excellent.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
dante said:
what shoes are you running? with all the pins, my 5.10s are almost *too* grippy. the griptape might not be that effective, but the 10 pins (or whatever) per side are excellent.

yeah i thought they looked pretty grippy as well, similiar setup to the hailed eastons

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
MOTODH said:
yeah i thought they looked pretty grippy as well, similiar setup to the hailed eastons
I use them on my FR HT, as they're grippy enough to keep my feet in place while bouncing down the trail. For DH I'm still experimenting with the 5050s to find a pin combination that's *less* grippy as the Funn's, as when I put a foot in the wrong place, its stuck in that position till I can get to a smoothish section to actively pick my foot off of the pedal and replace it. Can't imagine wanting something stickier than the Funn's...

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
dante said:
I use them on my FR HT, as they're grippy enough to keep my feet in place while bouncing down the trail. For DH I'm still experimenting with the 5050s to find a pin combination that's *less* grippy as the Funn's, as when I put a foot in the wrong place, its stuck in that position till I can get to a smoothish section to actively pick my foot off of the pedal and replace it. Can't imagine wanting something stickier than the Funn's...

yeah they look great, I will run them as long as they hold up, if not I would go with 5050's, the new screws looks really nice and grippy on those plus so many pin placement options.

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
Awesome bike
They are better speced than the 06 model Team IMO

At 5'11" the same height as me,
How do you find the 19" frame ?
I'm looking to get a 05 Sunday Team myself
but still wrestling with which frame size to get
17" or 19"

cheers

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
jungle said:
Awesome bike
They are better speced than the 06 model Team IMO

At 5'11" the same height as me,
How do you find the 19" frame ?
I'm looking to get a 05 Sunday Team myself
but still wrestling with which frame size to get
17" or 19"

cheers
What you would give to just hear someone tell you: "get the 19" frame"

:rolleyes: ;)

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
Acadian,

Honestly, both the 17" & 19" both feel fine to me
just sussing out other people experience
in sizing before I blow my savings

Better to be sure than sorry later.

cheers

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
jungle said:
Acadian,

Honestly, both the 17" & 19" both feel fine to me
just sussing out other people experience
in sizing before I blow my savings

Better to be sure than sorry later.

cheers
Iron Horse Suggests:
5’3 to 5’8 = 16”
5’8 to 6’0 = 17”
6’ + = 19”

BUT only YOU know what size you need. Some tall riders prefer small bikes while some short riders like longer bikes. Getting feedback on certain products is one thing, but when it comes to sizing and geometry, only you can decide if you like it or not…

Like Peat would say, don't be a sheep and make your own decision. ;)

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
well i went with the 19 because i like long bikes, its not for everyone but I know most people are very happy with the size they pick. Much of the bikes feel can be compensated by different length stems and seat positions also
thanks for the complements

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Acadian just curious but why do you recommend the Rock oil brand, just wondering, also I assume you use motorcycle fork oil, did not see a mtb section

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
MOTODH said:
Acadian just curious but why do you recommend the Rock oil brand, just wondering, also I assume you use motorcycle fork oil, did not see a mtb section
Because I've been using it for years and it's worked great for me - so why fix something that ain't broken? ;)

I buy my Rock Oil at a local MX shop here in NorCal.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Acadian said:
Because I've been using it for years and it's worked great for me - so why fix something that ain't broken? ;)

makes sense

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Acadian said:

Always buy oil at a MX shop instead of a bike shop. The price difference ounce for ounce is astounding. And you have more choices!

Nice bike btw. The more you ride it the more you will like it. It had been about four months since I'd ridden mine, bieng winter and all, I rode my trail bike a lot. I took it out two weeks ago and fell in love all over again.

People ask me about the bike a lot and how I would compare it to many others (since I've owned so many others).

My usual reply is: If I broke it, I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Biscuit said:
Always buy oil at a MX shop instead of a bike shop. The price difference ounce for ounce is astounding. And you have more choices!

Nice bike btw. The more you ride it the more you will like it. It had been about four months since I'd ridden mine, bieng winter and all, I rode my trail bike a lot. I took it out two weeks ago and fell in love all over again.

People ask me about the bike a lot and how I would compare it to many others (since I've owned so many others).

My usual reply is: If I broke it, I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Yah thanks, I am loving it, got a couple rides in before we got buried in snow and it was a blast, so fun to ride, awesome geo, I can go on and on:p

and yah mx oil is the way to go, I got two big bottles for like 12 bucks