Quantcast

my new mini downhill bike

JK:UK

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
UK
nice stuff! i have those forks on my mini dh bike, sx trail. and although i might like a giant / ironhorse for the odd dh line, the mini dh'er can handle it all anyway. these bikes do everything.

mini dh'ers ftw!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i've seriously considered getting rid of my demo for one of those. i ride year round but the DH season is only a few months long so why have a full on Dh rig that is a beast on the trails when i could have something super fun on the trails that can still handle my sport level Dh racing career ;)

i'd like to test one out on a real DH course and see how big of a difference it is compared to my demo...just seems like a better fit for my style since i can't afford 3 bikes.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
awesome ! nice choice on the color too. just do something about that seat , horrendus like bicyclist said .

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
specs are:
07 zoke 66rc2x
Pig headset
Transition bars
Hollzfeller stem
Rouge grips
juicy 7s 185mm F&R
FSA mega GAP cranks
Gamut p20
e13 guide ring 34t
SRAM chain
Spec Lo-pros
x-7 mid cage derail
x-9 trigger shifter
11-26 cassette
DT freeride 440 wheelset
FUNN seat is soft and squishy
IRD Seat post
08 DHX 5
and the tires were freebies from sea otter and they can lick my taint

also i sold my demo9 to get one of these and couldn't be happier this bike straight up banches

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
the seat does look big and stubby in the picture, in person its not bad, besides its a bigger pad for my jewels, cause we all know gotta protect them jewels

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Sick ride...I wouldn't trade my Demo 9 in for it since I have an Enduro, but it does make a lot of sense if you are going with one rig.

JK:UK

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
UK
ps. the best thing i EVER did was trade in my Blue Demo9. The custom one a few of you claimed was photoshopped!! I traded it in for my SX trail. I mainly ride DH 80:20 trails. Bit sketchier, but way more fun!

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
this thread made me do it.....i just put my demo frame up for sale. i found a bottlerocket frame w/out shock for $800 new. i never thought i'd do it but if it sells.... ;)
My previous bike was a Demo 8 which I loved but it was just a pig. Pretty heavy (45lbs) that was great on the DH runs but for all around riding which I do more of it was just too much. I switched to the BR and have so much fun since its a small (can be somewhat built light) fun bike. I would not consider it if I was doing maybe even 30% or more of my time doing DH or steep trail freeriding..the wheelbase is very short and just not enough travel IMO. I also feel after having a 66 up front on this bike that a 160mm fork is the way to go Its what the bike was built for

but for me this works perfect

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
i feel that with a 66 up front it rails DH type stuff better and since im on a large the wheel base is about 46inches i think, i hit the dj's out at my house with it no prob (cadilac feeling on dj's) and hit sum 20foot plus hits elsewhere on my property, a few drops ranging from 5-8 feet off some ladder bridges(also at my place) and a small 10foot out 4 foot hip step down. hit a wallride(almost vertical wall) all with no problems whatsoever, didnt even clap out the fork or the rear, running a 500# spring and i wiegh bout 180 with all my garb on. in the DJ forum i have some pics posted of the dirtjumps so you can search that if you like and see for yourself. im goin to mammoth next week so ill prop somthin up after to tell you all how it went.
i got this bike to replace my demo9 and so far its whoppin its butt...hard

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
and yeah, bout the seat, its got good sidewall sqiush and since i do jump this bike along with my HT, its easier on my knees and sack if i fvck up. mountain bike seats dont have the side squish im lookin for.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
that seat is super nice for pinching for tricks too, I ride it on one of my hardtails...sweet bike

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i went and test rode a large today....it felt ok but i think the medium is what i need. even with the grossly underpsrung shock that was on it, (i'm 220lbs), it sprinted very well. i couldn't put in a full test due to my shoulder injury but it felt amazing :thumb:

now i'm just waiting to sell my demo frame

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i wish i could..but money is an issue here. if i don't get a decent amount for my demo frame i can't do the deal. the BR frame i'm looking at is w/out a rear shock so i have to fork out $$ for that too...and $800 for a DB is a bit much

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
so i gave in and swapped the seat to an Oddessy MX Seat, much narrower profile but still has the sidewall squish and grip im looking for
also, on the juicy 7's i flipped the control knobs to the underside hoping they wont get snagged when i munch it hard, so if you guys have juicy7's id recommend doing it.

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
is that a racelink? yes you aree correct but the mini part is only in the front end , my demo was similar in setup , a demo9 with a 66 hangin off the front. thats sick though i bet its really responsive with the short fork on there

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Or you could buy my sweet condition Demo 9 for less hehehe :brows:
haha well it wouldnt be the first thing I bought from you...but I'm not in the market for a DH bike, mines just fine...just talking.
I'am however looking for a DJ hardtail...or a Tranny double...since I'm not very smooth after being on a bighit for 2 years.

P.S. Your XT 4-pots are sick! :-) I've only replace on set of pads in the rear so far, and still running strong!

jake133

Monkey
Jan 21, 2005
SLC, Utah
Why is it a "mini dh bike" and not a freeride bike? I thought a mini dh bike was a shorter travel rig with similar or the same geo to a dh bike. Is that what the BR is?

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
i needed a title, dh and freeride are the same thing to me as long as it goes down, it rides like a scaled down dh bike to me anyways,
geo is like 14"bb 66HA 16. sumthin chainstays, seems pretty downhill oriented to me

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
yes, screw function...its all in how good the bike looks sitting there in the parking lot :huh:

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
yes, screw function...its all in how good the bike looks sitting there in the parking lot :huh:
and your a moron... it just happens that the bike i ride looks good, much like many other people on here. form over function my ass, i built this bike up for its intended purpose and it does its purpose well, i ride lots of jumps and stunts(i hate that name) in addition to DH trails, this bike works great for all of those.
and since you obviously can't read very well i just switched seats, of which was on my 24 dj bike so i dont see how im screwing function over looks.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Relax, man, I think he's just making fun of all the people who btched about the seat you had on there originally. Why anyone cares what kind of seat you run is beyond me...