Quantcast

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
black production 1.jpg

I will get a picture of the complete bike, but this was the frame. I believe it had an MRP Ribbon fork.

This is an original Kickstarter backer's bike, stolen from the back of a car outside a restaurant in Duluth MN on Sat, July 28.

There are less than 60 of these in the known universe, maybe 25 in the U.S. This thing should stick out like a sore thumb.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
View attachment 129715
I will get a picture of the complete bike, but this was the frame. I believe it had an MRP Ribbon fork.

This is an original Kickstarter backer's bike, stolen from the back of a car outside a restaurant in Duluth MN on Sat, July 28.

There are less than 60 of these in the known universe, maybe 25 in the U.S. This thing should stick out like a sore thumb.
Which restaurant?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It seems like these networks are pretty sophisticated these days. You’d think stuff in Alaska would be easily found, but they are moving out of state and sitting on stuff until much later. We need more bait bikes with trackers.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
It seems like these networks are pretty sophisticated these days. You’d think stuff in Alaska would be easily found, but they are moving out of state and sitting on stuff until much later. We need more bait bikes with trackers.
A lot of stuff gets taken off the bikes and sold separately. More $$ to be made and harder to track. Some of the frames get chucked since they're the only easily traceable part.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
We also need a program that fits bike thieves asses' with a set of flats with extra long pins before being used for fatigue testing of DH helmets

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
A lot of stuff gets taken off the bikes and sold separately. More $$ to be made and harder to track. Some of the frames get chucked since they're the only easily traceable part.
this is what I'm afraid of. especially if they know t's extremely rare and traceable.

But forks and shocks have serial #'s also, so anything with a ground out serial #.....

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
left it on his car out of eyesight to go inside a restaurant? the owner is actually from this planet right? totally sucks but that was a dumb move he surely won't make again...
ya, I don't know. never been to Duluth, but I guess it has a growing MTB trail network, therefore it's become a target.

Demo trailers get jacked all the time. I'm gonna put a camera that goes to my phone on my demo-mobile, even when I'm sleeping 2 feet away.

A couple years ago, I was at a high school track meet and saw 2 bikes tied to the fence with a string. And a bow. That should do it.

If I had been in a bad mood, I would've taken the string for their life lesson.

finnlander

Chimp
Aug 6, 2018
left it on his car out of eyesight to go inside a restaurant? the owner is actually from this planet right? totally sucks but that was a dumb move he surely won't make again...
Yeah, I am actually from this planet - in fact, I am from this northern town in the midwest where you'll see a lot of bikes on cars while people eat, shop, even sleep in hotels without being stolen. Crazy isn't it. And yes, I do feel like an idiot.

I grew up in Duluth, go back and ride there when I can.

Some people just suck, locks only help so much.

BTW Duluth is becoming a great mtb area, except for the cold.

Check out the grand plan, 43 miles across town mtb trails.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7021011/duluth-traverse-dt
Hi 4xBoy,
Grew up there too, on the far west side of the city. The city has really become an outdoor sports destination. Good to see them finally putting effort into nice parks and trails and recognizing just how beautiful the area is. And the riding is so good now. I don't think we've hit half of the trails and there are new ones being built continuously.

But, it is cold in the winter.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
No news is bad news. this was the actual bike. one block from the duluth police station

Already working on his replacement...
stolen tantrum.jpg

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
bike not found

Luckily, I have a replacement frame his size and even color and his insurance actually paid. A bike thief. I think I would be happy to see the bike wrecked if the thief was on it when it got hit. Is that wrong? Does that make me a bad person? What if I also wanted to be the driver? Does THAT make me a bad person?

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
But in other news, come out to Northstar before Interbike and ride one.

I have my biggest "demo fleet" ever of 4 bikes.

Sea Otter Downhill Race Winner....170fr/160rr 27.5 Meltdown
lizard s.jpg

My Sea Otter race bike, Chrome on the Range. 160 x 29er front, 160 x 27.5 mixed wheel special, the Shinedown
chrome s.jpg

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
and then there's this baby. Brand new shinning. 180 mm front/165 mm rear 29er

62 degree HTA. the BB is still a little high until the next round of dropouts are ready, but this bike is incredibly fast. 31 pounds as it sits. With pedals.
2019 shinning lizard s.jpg

The 4th bike is the DVO bike, with 170 fr/165 rr, 27.5 plus. 3.0/2.8 combo on 35i rims. Too sluggish for around here, but might work great at Northstar
2019 shinning s.jpg

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Looks like I won't be making the trip up to N* this weekend. Enjoy it!

Gonna try to get my girlfriend to finally buy a bike Saturday, then got pre-wedding stuff to do for my brothers wedding Sunday. I will tell the guys from the Facebook group that Karl and I are in that they should find you and ride your bikes.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Come out to the Brown County Epic this weekend, Oct 12-14.

look for the RatRod Tantrumobile in the Expo area

I have bikes to ride and tequila to sip.
demo motorhome.jpg

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Whatever.

If/when I make it back, I will have bikes in Socal from Nov 3 till 11th.

No specific demo plan. No bike with less than 160 mm of travel

Let me know, I'll be riding somewhere all of those days
storm track.jpg

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Not a bad mention from the year long test of the Shinning, 170 fr/165 rr 29er.

Best of Test '18

The article itself is fairly light, as they did a more comprehensive review of the bike early this year.

The challenge was that they were to use this bike as a test bed for everything else they were testing, droppers, forks, etc. So it was horsewhipped, flogged and parts swapped over and over in the course of the year.

"Tantrum Cycles and the Missing Link are a huge success, standing their ground and proving its worth against the big ones in a full season of hard charging and being used as official testing platform by TNI-de" "the result is something very innovative and a great bike....from a one man show truly challenging the big player's bikes"

Ya, it's an obscure German website....I'll take it. I'll fuckin take it. They had the bike all year without me baby sitting. Nervous as hell.

"it was a real pleasure to ride this bike over the course of the year"

I let just a hint of a tear roll as I quietly sipped a fine glass of tequila in celebration

http://twentynineinches-de.com/2018/12/21/best-of-test18-5-teil-innovative-bikes/

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018

Best of Test '18

The article itself is fairly light, as they did a more comprehensive review of the bike early this year.

The challenge was that they were to use this bike as a test bed for everything else they were testing, droppers, forks, etc. So it was horsewhipped, flogged and parts swapped over and over in the course of the year.

"Tantrum Cycles and the Missing Link are a huge success, standing their ground and proving its worth against the big ones in a full season of hard charging and being used as official testing platform by TNI-de" "the result is something very innovative and a great bike....from a one man show truly challenging the big player's bikes"

Ya, it's an obscure German website....I'll take it. I'll fuckin take it. They had the bike all year without me baby sitting. Nervous as hell.

I let just a hint of a tear roll as I quietly sipped a fine glass of tequila in celebration

http://twentynineinches-de.com/2018/12/21/best-of-test18-5-teil-innovative-bikes/
Congratulations Brian!

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Brian, with regards to #teamrumours are @rockofullr and friend renewing their contracts with the Tantrum Cycles Factory Racing Team to join select races in the US next season?

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
As long as you don’t have to sell your telecasters, your good!
I would sell or trade the pretty burgundy tele, maybe for an old Strat. The sunburst Tele has personal connections and will never go.

As an aside, I donate 5% of each Tantrum sale to more musical equipment, in pursuit of my string theory experiments, at least as far as the IRS knows

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Brian, with regards to #teamrumours are @rockofullr and friend renewing their contracts with the Tantrum Cycles Factory Racing Team to join select races in the US next season?
full negotiations have yet to be entertained.

Their (@rockofullr and BamBam) price is pretty high, but I bring good weed, so I think I can get them there,

The question is if I can get there, but I am giving it due diligence and hope to be in Cali well before Sea Otter to get things lit up.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015

Best of Test '18

Doc, my lobster senses tell me you should offer a gloss black paint job with Knight Rider stickers. You could take over Germany!

Humor aside, and in all sincerity, congratulations on the positive press. I love the tenacity of your entrepreneurial spirit. You must have to wear a LOT of hats. I'm sure you are a great roll model for your son, and I expect I'll use you as an anecdotal example for CrawdadCT when he gets to the age to start thinking of what to do with himself professionally.