Quantcast

New Evil

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
I don't understand why Evil is getting into gravel bikes and at the same time don't have an XC model in their catalog....

Last edited:

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Because more than most other bike companies, Evil is trend-whoring like they're paid to do so. Which they are.

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Not even close, the best XC frames right now are two pounds lighter than the Evil, the fork adds another pound and everyone is using big tires so you end up with a heavy Trailbike.

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Here in Spain there are thousands and thousands of roadies, most of them have an XC MTB as a second bike, lots of XC Hardtails and a few FS. Nobody gets a gravel bike as their second bike.

Then you have a lot of people doing XC with nicer bikes, and they always get a roadbike for training.
Then you have some people doing Enduro and half of them are riding Ebikes now.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Here in Spain there are thousands and thousands of roadies, most of them have an XC MTB as a second bike, lots of XC Hardtails and a few FS. Nobody gets a gravel bike as their second bike.

Then you have a lot of people doing XC with nicer bikes, and they always get a roadbike for training.
Then you have some people doing Enduro and half of them are riding Ebikes now.
That being said, there a few million miles more gravel/dirt roads in the US...

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Here in Argentina the gravel segment is rising. Most of the mid pack road racers/Lance Armstrong wannabes down here were buying XC bikes and then putting road cassettes and cranks on them, and racing stupid rural bike races (XC races on countryside roads, but stripped of any technical features). The gravel movement has given them the ability to ride something similar to they road whippets but on the tamer trails, instead of them getting smashed on highways (they use them even that's plainly illegal). I'm okay with that. I'm not so OK with them creating Strava lines and removing technical features from the trails.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I'm not sure I see a better route, but that internal/external brake and shifter routing is pretty fugly. Whole bike is actually only decent looking if you've just recently seen the Sammy Haggard or whatever the gravel bike is called first.

Bet they sell eleventy million of them though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If you insist on doing internal routing, at least put it through the downtube. That loop at the seat tube looks like shit, and those cables are going to get pulled on like crazy as the suspension cycles.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm not sure I see a better route, but that internal/external brake and shifter routing is pretty fugly. Whole bike is actually only decent looking if you've just recently seen the Sammy Haggard or whatever the gravel bike is called first.

Bet they sell eleventy million of them though.
And for more than most dentist bikes. Well list price, does anyone actually buy these new or just at the end of the year when they are half off?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I just don't get what the purpose of launching an update was? I guess the LifeTime warranty was a big change but the 1 or 2-degree post alteration isn't gonna make a huge difference. Did that add anything else?

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
I just don't get what the purpose of launching an update was? I guess the LifeTime warranty was a big change but the 1 or 2-degree post alteration isn't gonna make a huge difference. Did that add anything else?
SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPA BOOOOOOOST

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I saw the geometry and figured it was nice and modern... 77deg seat angle. But then paranoia kicked in, and I started measuring some pixels on the side-on image.
Using the chainstay 430mm as a reference, I found numbers that are way off from the geometry chart, and I can't find out why.
I'm pretty sure it's an image of the Medium size, because the seattube length seems to pan out.

evilfollowing3.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It is new math, you probably don't have a bigly enough maths ability to understand.

Wonder if The Unraveling will be designed to work only with a Message fork,.. oh wait.
I can't even count the number of pivots on an Evil single pivot frame.