Quantcast

new fox 40 ???

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Probably just another prototype that will never make it to production. I would like to see the gold stanchions make it to shop floors, it seems they have been working on different coatings and what not for a few years so maybe something will come of that. As far as Leov's fork being a pre-production 2011, I wouldn't hold your breath.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not that I've had an issue with it, but I'd like to see the hi/lo compression adjusters move to the top of the fork (more for convenience than anything else), and the 40 penis get castrated.

jammie654

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
Scotland
Looks like any other 40 to me other then that different adjuster, and gold stantions. Maybe just some prototype internals???
http://dirtmountainbike.com/news/mid-week-enzed-11-pt-ii.html/attachment/justin-leov-in-the-rock-garden
Yeah, thats what it looks like, just independant rebound adjust
Looks like high/low speed rebound.
This.
Trying to catch up with BoXXers...
Wouldn't surprise me at all mate, Do 40's really need Hi/Lo speed Rebound though? or is it just Fox trying to get as many adjusters on their forks as RS

EDIT: ignore this, im wrong:shocked::(

Last edited:

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
why do you think it has hi/low speed rebound ? if im not mistaken ,it says ...compression
on the flat knob and from the pic bifff linked it clearly looks like the cap on the bottom is smaller than today's (where i assume the rebound knob is).

jammie654

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
Scotland
My Bad was sure it said rebound, Looking closely i can make out High Speed Compression i think.

Scrap what i said first, Could it be a new damper? With Hi speed comp adjuster on top and low speed on the bottom?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Not that I've had an issue with it, but I'd like to see the hi/lo compression adjusters move to the top of the fork (more for convenience than anything else), and the 40 penis get castrated.
I don't see them getting all the adjustments to the crown, they'd just have to move the rebound to the bottom then.

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
I'm putting money on a updated FIT cartridge that is inverted, as is found on new '10 FIT equipped forks. Don't know how the new 40 FIT differs from the older version, if that is indeed what it is.

FullMonty

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
I'll say that this change is something useful. being able to easily tweak your compression settings seems a fair sight better than rebound, especially when tuning for races.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
90% will never ride past the ability of the forks they have (when properly tuned) but yet the masses still yearn for something better.......ugh

QFT x1003094203423024

It amazes me that people will blow tons of money on the newest "pro level" whateveritis, and expect that they will get faster. News flash. If you have a 40 right now, I can all but guarantee its not whats holding you back. Steve Peat would outride you on a 96 Judy, on a hardtail, with a 120mm stem. Gear only goes so far.

Save your money, ignore the fads, take that money and put it into a freelap system if you really want to learn how to get faster.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
90% will never ride past the ability of the forks they have (when properly tuned) but yet the masses still yearn for something better.......ugh
QFT x1003094203423024

It amazes me that people will blow tons of money on the newest "pro level" whateveritis, and expect that they will get faster. News flash. If you have a 40 right now, I can all but guarantee its not whats holding you back. Steve Peat would outride you on a 96 Judy, on a hardtail, with a 120mm stem. Gear only goes so far.

Save your money, ignore the fads, take that money and put it into a freelap system if you really want to learn how to get faster.
funny how you 2 were the only guys to mention the "will this increase my performance" BS. Everybody was just interested in some new tech and both of you are pulling yourselves if you weren't interested yourselves. You opened the thread afterall:weee:

Looks like a new damper could be in the works.

Neuro

Chimp
Dec 29, 2006
High and low speed compression on the upper side, rebound on the lower.

-Better responce on high frequency imput (less unsprung weight)
-probably a better bleed for the cartridge with the bladder on the upper side like new FIT 32.

Just my opinion

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
dropmachine, I usually think your bang on, but I gotta disagree with you here. Improving forks and damper technology is only a good thing, and should be viewed with excitement. We have no idea if the benefits are as marginal as "having the compression access on the top instead of bottom" or if they've tweaked the damper, but being excited about a more efficient damper is pretty reasonable. Otherwise, we should still all be on those 98 judy's you mentioned.

Granted, there is a segment of the riding population already on the newest gear who will immediately go out and buy this because "this will make them faster" and making fun of them is pretty justified, but there are also alot of guys who are on older forks thinking of upgrading, and little damper tweaks may just push them over the edge. Just because something is good doesn't mean it shouldn't be improved, and if I can find a fork that's slightly more buttery and smooth, stays up in its travel just a little bit more, then I'm stoked. There are other people in the fork market then racer boys who would see no performance increase.

But anyway, as you were

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The main increase in performance is that the cartridge is now upside down and will not suffer from no rebound in the beginning stroke of travel when air gets into the cartridge. The 40 will be a lot more durable which I am pretty excited about.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
The main increase in performance is that the cartridge is now upside down and will not suffer from no rebound in the beginning stroke of travel when air gets into the cartridge. The 40 will be a lot more durable which I am pretty excited about.
Air never got into mine. The bleed will be no better as when you perform the bleed you place the cartridge bladder end up anyway.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Sometimes it was possible to dislodge the bladder in the bottom of the cartridge and get air in the cartridge. That problem is now gone. I wasn't talking about bleeding the cart but riding it.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
The 40 has been the same exact fork for 5 years now other than internal tweaks. It is about time they make a change.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Sometimes it was possible to dislodge the bladder in the bottom of the cartridge and get air in the cartridge. That problem is now gone.
yup, that happened to a few people i know

The 40 has been the same exact fork for 5 years now other than internal tweaks. It is about time they make a change.
double yup. it would only be a natural progression for the fork.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
here's the big question. I wonder if the new damper will be compatible with previous 40's when it is available in a couple years??? I have a brand new 40 RC2, and would be interested in the upgrade. It likely wont be available in at least 2 years and it would likely be much cheaper to upgrade the damper then buy a whole new fork.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
It's there chassis that needs the upgrade, not the damper. I'm thinking 36mm legs with proper oil seals so you can run some more oil in there.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It's there chassis that needs the upgrade, not the damper. I'm thinking 36mm legs with proper oil seals so you can run some more oil in there.
The reason Fox uses so little bath oil isn't that their seals suck balls (which they do) so much as a desire to keep weight down. That was also the motivation for the small oil volume closed dampers and all that. This is one of those instances were the clamor for light weight gave us something that isn't really as good as it could be.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Fox can't run more oil, because more oil means more weight, and everybody on the internet knows that a 7 pound fork with a decent amount of oil that performs amazingly well is nowhere near as important as a 6 pound fork you can brag about.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Fox can't run more oil, because more oil means more weight, and everybody on the internet knows that a 7 pound fork with a decent amount of oil that performs amazingly well is nowhere near as important as a 6 pound fork you can brag about.
:rolleyes: Where have I heard that before? :rant:

Just bustin' yer balls. :cheers:

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Reality is I wan't a 2010 Marzocchi made by Fox but with a sealed damper.

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
The reason Fox uses so little bath oil isn't that their seals suck balls (which they do) so much as a desire to keep weight down. That was also the motivation for the small oil volume closed dampers and all that. This is one of those instances were the clamor for light weight gave us something that isn't really as good as it could be.
Problem easily solved: get some Enduro seals/real seals from a bearing shop. All the crap about stiction and the like is utter rubbish. Also good on them for not upgrading parts for the sake of bringing something new out. Also they would be getting their moneys worth out of tooling.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Problem easily solved: get some Enduro seals/real seals from a bearing shop. All the crap about stiction and the like is utter rubbish. Also good on them for not upgrading parts for the sake of bringing something new out. Also they would be getting their moneys worth out of tooling.
I've been running Enduro seals on my 36 for years. I'm well aware.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Do you have any specific brand names you recommend or any kind? I am curious to do this as well.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Ok, what other "real seals" are you talking about?

I saw these before:
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id199.html

And have heard of not the greatest feedback ever.

But it is annoying, cause I open up my fox 40 after a few rides, and the oil is dark again....... Are the 2009/2010 seals better?