Quantcast

new GoPro HD Hero 2

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Just ordered some SD cards...should be here tomorrow. Will try to get at least some test vids with it. Maybe a ride in this weekend.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
My GoPro Hero HD 2 just came in. I have a GoPro Hero HD as well. They are both the same size but there are slight physical differences:
-light sensor(?) is slightly larger
-lens is black
-there's a mini-hdmi port on the camera
-There are 4 blinking red dots vs 1 (on the front, back, top and bottom)
-The lcd is now a graphical display (what it should have been all along)

It behaves the same way as the Hero HD and the graphics display makes it much easier to see what's going on. They also increased the beep volume which is nice. Sometimes I couldn't hear the GoPro Hero HD beeps in windy environments.

Just from playing around with it, I found something that has already irritated me and that is that at 720p, there is no 90degree fov mode.. only 170! That's clearly advertised on this page:
Product Comparison: HD HERO2 & HD HERO Cameras
... but I missed that damn asterisks. "* Available with future firmware update"

aaah! That's one of the reasons I bought it.

Just like the GoPro HD it's cell-phone quality in terms of grainy-ness indoors in lower lights.

I'll take some shots outside later if I can get off of work before sunset.

Last edited:

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I sat the cameras (HD Hero and HD Hero 2) down and took video at 1080p 30fps with a 127deg fov. The HD Hero 2 image is noticeably brighter and sharper.
HD Hero http://macpod.net/stuff/gopros_compared/gopro_hero_hd_1080p_30fps_127fov.MP4
HD Hero 2 http://macpod.net/stuff/gopros_compared/gopro_hero2_hd_1080p_30fps_127fov.MP4

I then set the HD hero 2 to 1080p 30fps with a 90deg fov.. and DAMN does that look grainy. I'm sure they just have a software filter that more or less gets rid of the barrel distortion and zooms in, but it was still disheartening to see.
HD Hero 2 at 90fov http://macpod.net/stuff/gopros_compared/gopro_hero2_hd_1080p_30fps_90fov.MP4

Please don't kill my server's bandwidth! :rofl:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I just picked one up today, and I'm psyched to try it out. I bought the handlebar/seatpost mount so I can record my daughter's races. Can't wait to use it at the ABA Grands in 2 weeks! I'm gonna see if I can get a couple of pros to strap it on during practice and get some video of them boosting the big doubles.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yeah, I picked one up too and just got some footage of mine on my pumptrack. The camera is sick. Video looks great for sure. I just have to figure out to use it, and my home cpu is not doing too good of a job keeping up. But yeah, I am digging it so far. I may even feel an addiction coming on.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I sat the cameras (HD Hero and HD Hero 2) down and took video at 1080p 30fps with a 127deg fov. The HD Hero 2 image is noticeably brighter and sharper.
HD Hero http://macpod.net/stuff/gopros_compared/gopro_hero_hd_1080p_30fps_127fov.MP4
HD Hero 2 http://macpod.net/stuff/gopros_compared/gopro_hero2_hd_1080p_30fps_127fov.MP4

I then set the HD hero 2 to 1080p 30fps with a 90deg fov.. and DAMN does that look grainy. I'm sure they just have a software filter that more or less gets rid of the barrel distortion and zooms in, but it was still disheartening to see.
HD Hero 2 at 90fov http://macpod.net/stuff/gopros_compared/gopro_hero2_hd_1080p_30fps_90fov.MP4

Please don't kill my server's bandwidth! :rofl:
Did you have a chance to try a newer gen Contour? I'm hear they work amazing.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Nope, I haven't played with the contours at all really. I could do a comparison if I had one.

Also, I like to repeat this for gopro threads in case folks don't know... that rubber orange thing they give you is really important to use. What it does is keep the bracket and mount of the camera from moving around. If you don't use it, you will find your videos have a clicking noise whenever the camera gets jostled around.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Here is a video I shot over the weekend of the top half of a race course with my Gopro 2. I don't know what in the hell I am doing, and I have no editing software, but here it is:

got a lot of jello going on in that vid - is that normal for go-pros?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I guess that answers my question of whether it'd suffer from less rolling shutter artifact&#8230; Gah.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I guess that answers my question of whether it'd suffer from less rolling shutter artifact&#8230; Gah.
How is it that the offical go-pro video has no jello, but a regular user's first video comes out looking so crap? Is it minimized by a higher framerate? Or maybe just don't shake the thing really quickly (as you would riding dh)?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
I don't know, but my camera was moving around on my chest mount, and this course is one big root ball and rides like you are holding a jackhammer anyway. I don't have that rubber orange thing Nelson above was talking about, but I need something to keep the camera more stable on the mount.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
wow, that video seems to handle movement a lot worse then the last model. i dont get any of that "jello" like effect with mine. thats not the rolling shutter effect you are seeing

you can use a piece of electrical tape on the base of the chest mount to help with the clicking noise that the GoPro is notorious for. it makes the snap connection super secure. the trick to the chest mount is to keep it super tight.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
How is it that the offical go-pro video has no jello, but a regular user's first video comes out looking so crap? Is it minimized by a higher framerate? Or maybe just don't shake the thing really quickly (as you would riding dh)?
Because GoPro is trying to sell you something whilst Jeremy R is just a user :D

I don't know, but my camera was moving around on my chest mount, and this course is one big root ball and rides like you are holding a jackhammer anyway. I don't have that rubber orange thing Nelson above was talking about, but I need something to keep the camera more stable on the mount.
Keeping it from vibrating around in the mount will help the picture out a bit from my experience with the regular HD. I think (can't confirm) using the 960p setting helps out too. What settings did you use?

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Because GoPro is trying to sell you something whilst Jeremy R is just a user :D

Keeping it from vibrating around in the mount will help the picture out a bit from my experience with the regular HD. I think (can't confirm) using the 960p setting helps out too. What settings did you use?
I just used the stock setting so far which is 960p. I think I read something in the book about using a different FOV than the stock setup for the chest mount, so I will try it next as well.

edit: It wasn't the FOV they said to change it said to use the the 960p / 48 for helmet and chest harness use.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
You might be able to use the surfboard mount.

Edit: surfboard mount is just a bigger adhesive pad, which would probably still work.

31rhkoy4r8L.jpg

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
BTW, I fixed mine. My above footage was so crappy because the camera was moving so much in the mount. I used a combination of that white rubber thing (some of them are orange), and a layer of 3m tape, and now it is solid and silent.
I still need to upgrade my computer though, because it just cannot process the damn footage right.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
FYI, I have tried Vimeo and YouTube and YouTube seems to compress the crap out of the videos. I seem to get quite a bit more artifacting on YouTube even though the raw video looks great.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Make sure you clean the surface off well before putting the adhesive on it. Heating up the area should help too.

LokiLopez, did you stick it on in the cold?

LokiLopez

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
London
Make sure you clean the surface off well before putting the adhesive on it. Heating up the area should help too.

LokiLopez, did you stick it on in the cold?
I did before going out on my room, but the "clean well" part may have been neglected :rolleyes:

I'll give it another go, but next time I'll be out for two weeks and don't know if I'll be able to get any parts/stuff while at the resort. So just checking if anyone have any success with anything

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Who do you contact if you happened to drop your gopro ( along with LCD screen ) in the water without the waterproof casing? Is said person just screwed and need to accept that he and a gopro were never meant to be?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
BTW, I fixed mine. My above footage was so crappy because the camera was moving so much in the mount. I used a combination of that white rubber thing (some of them are orange), and a layer of 3m tape, and now it is solid and silent.
I still need to upgrade my computer though, because it just cannot process the damn footage right.
What rubber thing? I don't have a rubber thing