Quantcast

New helmet - POC Cortex DH Vs TLD D3?

ReductiMat

Chimp
Jun 16, 2008
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new helmet this year to replace my Giro Remedy. Does anyone know if the D3 or POC fit similarly? Or does the Remedy have it's own fit?

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Please tell how it fits when you get it. What size was your D2?
I was a M/L D2 & have gone for a L/XL POC.

Well it showed up over the weekend First impressions are its white, very white!!!

Construction looks good, a lot better than a D2 anyway. Surprised to see no D ring on it though, normal plastic clip on this one?

Fit feels good, a lot better than my D2 - seems to 'hold' my head in place. Could be down to brand new adding Vs 2 year old padding though. Mouth piece feels like it sits further away and the face opening feels a lot bigger too.

I'll do a weight comparison & a side by side shot later :)

kOlsen

Monkey
Dec 23, 2007
Norway, Scandinavia
I was a M/L D2 & have gone for a L/XL POC.

Well it showed up over the weekend First impressions are its white, very white!!!

Construction looks good, a lot better than a D2 anyway. Surprised to see no D ring on it though, normal plastic clip on this one?

Fit feels good, a lot better than my D2 - seems to 'hold' my head in place. Could be down to brand new adding Vs 2 year old padding though. Mouth piece feels like it sits further away and the face opening feels a lot bigger too.

I'll do a weight comparison & a side by side shot later :)
Sounds good! Yeah, they look VERY white. They are suppose to bring out more colors for this year.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Little bit of extra info.

Its within 30g of the weight of a D2 carbon, no wider, and despite looking like the mouthpiece is longer, its actually marginally shorter. I think it looks longer because its a lot lower in the front than a D2.

Inside its far, far better thought out. The padding is very thin and held in by velcro and poppers. Comes out much easier than a D2 for washing. You also get some thinner cheek pads to customise fit.

Fit is also good with Spy goggles. The only slight hesitation is the normal clip rather than a D ring. Not sure if thats really an issue or not. All in though, very impressed. For something that cost 40% of the RRP of a D3, i'm happy with my choice :)

Lets hope I don't brain myself first time out in it!

that reminds me. Where is it that I read the new V3R from Fox is just a moto helmet that passes European moto standards but not US moto standards? So they are selling a moto helmet as a "bike specific" helmet in the US?
I know what you are talking about but I dont remember the thread/source. You have sort of the idea but just switched around. The V3R is a basicly a scaled down version of the moto V3 but for downhill, sort of like a medium(in relation to size of the whole helmet)V3. I think what you read was they are/can sell them in Europe as moto helmets because their saftey standards are differnent. As as for the link you quoted above that is a crazy deal from Motosport.com on that V3 SX. I had a V3 and really liked it and I am quite interested in this new V3R.

I know what you are talking about but I dont remember the thread/source. You have sort of the idea but just switched around. The V3R is a basicly a scaled down version of the moto V3 but for downhill, sort of like a medium(in relation to size of the whole helmet)V3. I think what you read was they are/can sell them in Europe as moto helmets because their saftey standards are differnent. As as for the link you quoted above that is a crazy deal from Motosport.com on that V3 SX. I had a V3 and really liked it and I am quite interested in this new V3R.

Anyone using the V3 find it too hot. I'm assunimg the venting is much poorer than a MTB helmet at the lower speeds, at standstill or hiking back up.

Any info welcomed as I'm considering the MX option for added safety.

JT

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Would definitely like to see how it compares side by side to a V3 to see the difference in size and ventilation. If it was intentionally made for ASTM and better vented than the V3, I'm good with that. But if it's just a lighter moto helmet, there's no point.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
that reminds me. Where is it that I read the new V3R from Fox is just a moto helmet that passes European moto standards but not US moto standards? So they are selling a moto helmet as a "bike specific" helmet in the US?
Here's some info:

http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/2010-Fox-Racing-Sneak-Peek,103/2010-Fox-Racing-V3R-Carbon-Helmet,1053/sspomer,2

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/104698/

Sound like it's a lighter moto helmet.

It's 1180g vs 1320g. I think the v3r carbon is going for $425. I'll save $305 and live with the extra 140 grams. :)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Here's some info:

http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/2010-Fox-Racing-Sneak-Peek,103/2010-Fox-Racing-V3R-Carbon-Helmet,1053/sspomer,2

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/104698/

Sound like it's a lighter moto helmet.

It's 1180g vs 1320g. I think the v3r carbon is going for $425. I'll save $305 and live with the extra 140 grams. :)
Yup. I just watched the video online and the Fox rep flat out said it's the exact same shell as their moto helmet. How lame. Intentionally saying it's designed for DH and meets ASTM when really it's a moto helmet for another country. They didn't even bother to toss in a few vents for standing still. :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yup. I just watched the video online and the Fox rep flat out said it's the exact same shell as their moto helmet. How lame. Intentionally saying it's designed for DH and meets ASTM when really it's a moto helmet for another country. They didn't even bother to toss in a few vents for standing still. :rofl:
Just for clarification, when they say it "meets" a particular standard (ASTM in this case), that can also mean that it "exceeds" the standard.

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
I spent 2 days riding in a V3 at Whistler last year and rather liked it. My only complaint was that the chinbar is too narrow and pinched/scrapped my face when I tried to put it on or take it off. Once on, it was great. Good ventilation and the weight never really bothered me. Average fit and finish for the price. A lighter version sounds awesome for DH.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Just for clarification, when they say it "meets" a particular standard (ASTM in this case), that can also mean that it "exceeds" the standard.
I live in the South. Some guys down here ride DH with moto helmets, but personally, I get loopy if my helmet is on for more than a couple minutes standing still. I enjoy venting since I sweat like Acadian on peuten (sp?)

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
my thought on multiple impact would be from a big crash where you keep tumbling, bouncing into/off of several objects.

Dox

Monkey
Aug 26, 2009
Montreal, QC, Canada
Directly from http://www.mipshelmet.se/home
There are now two types of helmet to choose from. The old style and the new generation, equipped with the Multi-directional Impact Protection System. This is a revolutionary technology, ensuring that a helmet with MIPS provides much better protection than any other helmet on the market.
The comparison on their website between a mips helmet and a conventional one is compared on 1 hit. I think the mips is just a better liner but I think I would change the helmet after 1 hit.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I spent 2 days riding in a V3 at Whistler last year and rather liked it. My only complaint was that the chinbar is too narrow and pinched/scrapped my face when I tried to put it on or take it off. Once on, it was great. Good ventilation and the weight never really bothered me. Average fit and finish for the price. A lighter version sounds awesome for DH.
Just got my V3 and your assessment is spot-on. I don't have a problem getting it on, but I have to flex the helmet a bit to get it off. Once it's on, it's light, comfortable, and keeps your breath directed away from your goggles. My D2 seems to direct your breath into your goggles, and removing the rubber piece under the chin bar didn't help much.

I might sell it and pick up a Shoei VFX-W. They are getting blown out on ebay for $310 with free shipping, rrp was $560. That's $190 more than the V3, but not being able to get it off my head is a safety issue.

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
That's funny cause the VFX-W is the helmet I have for moto use. Totally happy with it for that. Fits better than any other helmet I tried on and has some nice features. Absolutely amazing quality too.

It's a bit bigger than I'd want to ride DH with, but if you're set on a moto helmet, I highly recommend it.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
That's funny cause the VFX-W is the helmet I have for moto use. Totally happy with it for that. Fits better than any other helmet I tried on and has some nice features. Absolutely amazing quality too.

It's a bit bigger than I'd want to ride DH with, but if you're set on a moto helmet, I highly recommend it.
I tried one on at a local shop, it is really nice and fits perfect. 180 grams more than the v3, but about the same size... the weight difference isn't that noticeable. The V3's quality seems poor in comparison to the Shoei, but it's alot more $$ too.

I was inspecting my D2 and the foam has separated from the shell and it is cracked so I'm going to need a new helmet. It didn't take much of an impact to do this, I'm surprised. The multi-impact POC is looking good, if they only made it in my size :(

Last edited:

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
I have worked with POC for the last 5 yrs and watched them move from Ski to Bike. POC is super excited to be working in the bike industry. To clear up a couple points (all of which can be verified online at our site www.pocsports.com)
1. Cortex DH is multi impact helmet with Super EPP core
2. Cortex Flow is multi impact helmet with Super EPP core

The major differences between the two are
a) Cortex DH is a carbon outer shell optimized to dampen impacts (like taking air out of a basketball and trying to bounce it). Yes the carbon is lighter and therefore less mass tranfering to the ground means less energy transfered to the C1-C7 etc etc etc
b) Cortex Flow is a fibreglass outer shell optimized to dampen impacts (like taking air out of a basketball and trying to bounce it)
c) Cortex DH has the VDSAP, or double overlapping shell design which allows for the outer shell (in this case carbon) to absorb and dampen impacts,w hile the inner most shell is designed specifically to prevent penetration. The Cortex Flow does not have the VDSAP.
d) Cortec DH has MIPS system which lets the outer shell and liner move in relation to each other and therefore reducing the rotational forces transfered to the brain. Watch the video, its really quite simple.

Why the VDSAP? Simple, most other helmets use very hard plastic outer shells to pass the various penetration codes SNELL CPSC, DOt what have you. Problem is the easiest way to pass these codes is with a very hard outer shell to prevent penetration and this very hard outer shell likes to bounce when it hits the ground (like a basketball with too much air), this bouncing means shaking the skull, brain, brainstem etc which increases the likelihood of concussions. With VDSAP the outer shell is much softer to dampen impacts and reduce the likelihood of concussions, while the inner shell is harder to prevent penetrations.

Any questions, let me know

Last edited:

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
Dude cheers that's awesome, thanks for clearing this up I just could not find that info on your site (maybe it's my browser but when I clicked for "more info" only a title came up.)

Multi-directional Impact Protection System technology looks legit can't wait to see how they implement it in other forms of protective headgear.

One thing I'm still unclear about is the Multi-impact EPP liner to what extent does this continue to provide protection after an initial impact (similar to the SNELL double impact test?) or after the MIPS pin has sheared?

Also do you now what research led to the Docs at POC to diagnose EPP as a more suitable material for use in a DH helmet as opposed to the EPS they use in the rest of the helmet line (and in fact as used by the vast majority of the helmet industry manufacturers)

EDIT: How compatible is the MIPS with existing cervical spine protection systems on the market?
Integrity of the EPP liners is supposed to remain at something like 90%+ of its initial strength before first and successive impacts (i dont have empirical data for it right now, this is what i was told in my PK, but im sure i can get it).

As for what research led POC to go with EPP, it was a series of experiments carried out by Claes Hulting PHD (Spinal rehab researcher), Per Hamid Ghatan PHD (Neuroscientist) and Magnus Wornert (ski expert) among others. But simply put EPP does NOT deform permanently on impact, whereas EPS does, thereby EPP is suitable to absorb repetitive shocks.

regarding cervical spine systems currently on the market. MIPS was developed to work as its own system. Accident statistics show that the most common accident occurs in an oblique impact to the head, resulting in rotation of the head and brain. MIPS works to counteract those forces. Therefore MIPS can and will work with any of these systems.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Excellent info on an excellent product, Thanks:thumb:

Integrity of the EPP liners is supposed to remain at something like 90%+ of its initial strength before first and successive impacts (i dont have empirical data for it right now, this is what i was told in my PK, but im sure i can get it).

As for what research led POC to go with EPP, it was a series of experiments carried out by Claes Hulting PHD (Spinal rehab researcher), Per Hamid Ghatan PHD (Neuroscientist) and Magnus Wornert (ski expert) among others. But simply put EPP does NOT deform permanently on impact, whereas EPS does, thereby EPP is suitable to absorb repetitive shocks.

regarding cervical spine systems currently on the market. MIPS was developed to work as its own system. Accident statistics show that the most common accident occurs in an oblique impact to the head, resulting in rotation of the head and brain. MIPS works to counteract those forces. Therefore MIPS can and will work with any of these systems.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
How about for giant headed people? Im sick of wearing ginormous MX helmet.

NOT 1 SINGLE MTB Full Face fits at all. L, XL....

fingers x'd

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001

My question is why on God's green earth do they want $100.00 for a hoody?:confused:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sicklines took pictures of the prototype cortex flow and it looked like it had alot of styrofoam in it. Is this true of the production model too?
http://www.sicklines.com/2009/01/15/spotlight-poc-cortex-flow-helmet-and-iris-dh-goggles/

Are all full face helmets like this too? I guess with a liner covering everything up I hadn't given this much thought.
That is the cortex flow, not the cortex dh. The flow is the lower end of the 2 models, and does NOT utilize MIPS.

Also, that is the 2009 model. I believe they did switch it from EPS to EPP for 2010.

BMADED

Monkey
Nov 3, 2009
808 State
I just got one, very happy with it. I cant tell you how it performs in a crash because I dont crash. But I can tell you it breathes really well. The fit is a bit strange, and it just so happend to fit me.

Last edited: