Quantcast

New Iron Horse Yakuza Series

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Damn. That's SWEET, especially if it costs as little as I'd exect it to. Might even consider that instead of a Sunday if I ever get another full-on DH bike for next year. New cranks (heck, just some $60 FSA VDrives would do it) and some Hayes Mag levers and that thing would be even better.

I'm a big fan of the Stance Kingpin fork, based on specs alone. Plain TPC+ damping feels a lot better than SPV to me, though it lacks the pedalling platform.

As always, I'm dying to know the geometry.

Ed: Anyone else notice the 8-speed SRAM trigger? Hope those are available aftermarket...

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Incubus said:
Me three, though the Sram X series 9sp has been flawless for me this season. Being I need the 11-34 cassette right now and don't break chains I may just stay with 9sp for awhile.

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
Yea what's the deal with IH. They don't really give their dealers any help. Then the dealer can't get rid of the bikes b/c you can go on the internet and get the same bike for like $1000 less. Well maybe not that much, but they don't help their dealers out at all. What's the deal?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
What is the frame weight of the Yakuza like compared to an SGS Pro frame? How about seatstay length? My gf is looking to replace her SGS with something a little lighter and more front end liftable.
I'm sure those numbers will come, but I'm an impatient SOB!

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
17"
HA = 66
CS = 17.25"
BB = 14.15"
SA = 60
TT = 23.5"
HT Length = 4.9"
WB = 45"

19"
HA = 66
CS = 17.25"
BB = 14.15"
SA = 60
TT = 24.5"
HT Length = 4.9"
WB = 46"

-ska todd

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
fuzzynutz said:
Yea what's the deal with IH. They don't really give their dealers any help. Then the dealer can't get rid of the bikes b/c you can go on the internet and get the same bike for like $1000 less. Well maybe not that much, but they don't help their dealers out at all. What's the deal?
I disagree. I work at an IH dealer part-time and they have always enabled us to offer the bikes at the same prices as stupid-go and still keep a profit margin. They are also stellar when it comes to service and warrantys.

that my .02.

Those new bikes look slick.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Wow...it's almost like...they're 2 completely different bikes! Thanks for showing us...

Seriously, aside from elevated chainstays and a single pivot (albiet in a completely different location), what are the similarities??

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ah, yeah, that does look like a Bullit. Or any other high-forward single pivot...

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
By the profile the Kumicho looks a lot like my older DHR Vs. a Bullit or anything else I can think of.

The bike and specs are looking pretty smoking to me.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
MikeD said:
Wow...it's almost like...they're 2 completely different bikes! Thanks for showing us...

Seriously, aside from elevated chainstays and a single pivot (albiet in a completely different location), what are the similarities??
it wasn't to compare the design of the bikes, I did it for myself to see how the bike would sit compared to two popular bikes some of us may have owned, ridden, or might own. Since we won't be riding it anytime soon, the picture kind of give a general look of how it might feel

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
There's a bit of confusion because the pinkbike article is calling the Yakuza a freeride series. If you look at the Kumicho vs the Bighit, they're pretty similiar in stance (except of course the IH has a longer wheelbase)

BUT, the Kumicho doesn't have a front derailleur and is called a downhill rig inside the article. Would be nice to see one or atleast the availability for one on the production models

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
punkassean said:
Looks good, but what's up with the Japanese names?
i'd imagine that these are the names of the bikes directly from the Taiwanese or chinese manufacturers catalog from which they picked them, just a guess though

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
thesacrifice said:
There's a bit of confusion because the pinkbike article is calling the Yakuza a freeride series...BUT, the Kumicho doesn't have a front derailleur and is called a downhill rig inside the article.
The Kumicho is where "freeride" and "downhill" become blurred. Is riding lift access trails all-day long freeride or is it downhill? I'd say it's both. It's a bikepark bike I guess you could say.

While the Kumicho is most certainly raceable for the beginner/sport rider, I'd reckon that 90% of the bikes sold will never see a race run. The purpose of the Kumicho was from the start to be the perfect bike for lift access riders on a budget.

sirbikealot said:
i'd imagine that these are the names of the bikes directly from the Taiwanese or chinese manufacturers catalog from which they picked them, just a guess though
Ha! That is about the funniest thing I've heard...there is nothing Taiwan catalog about these frames. They are ALL proprietary designs from scratch. While they might be singlepivot they are far from off the shelf!

The name Yakuza was Pilfered...

-ska todd

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
ska todd said:
The Kumicho is where "freeride" and "downhill" become blurred. Is riding lift access trails all-day long freeride or is it downhill? I'd say it's both. It's a bikepark bike I guess you could say.

While the Kumicho is most certainly raceable for the beginner/sport rider, I'd reckon that 90% of the bikes sold will never see a race run. The purpose of the Kumicho was from the start to be the perfect bike for lift access riders on a budget.

-ska todd

Nicely put. I think the term Downhill is almost always associated with racing Vs. well....just riding Downhill at the mountains all day. Hey maybe its a Mountain bike. That would be a good catchy name.....

I do kinda like the Bikepark theme... I don't think of riding the mountains all day as freeriding.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
If you've been to Whistler you know exactly what I mean. They last thing most of the groms there are thinking about is racing. They just love to ride bikes, hit big tables, and flow like crazy. THAT is mountain biking!!

-ska todd

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
ska todd said:
If you've been to Whistler you know exactly what I mean. They last thing most of the groms there are thinking about is racing. They just love to ride bikes, hit big tables, and flow like crazy. THAT is mountain biking!!

-ska todd

:thumb:

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
ska todd said:
While the Kumicho is most certainly raceable for the beginner/sport rider, I'd reckon that 90% of the bikes sold will never see a race run.
From what Ive heard about the bike its plenty capable of achieving Pro podiums. I really really want to build one of these up with a slightly different parts spec and give it a shot in the race season. This thing looks so rad I cant wait to try one out. I just wish I could go to Vegas.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
sirbikealot said:
besides ska todd's rebuttal below, i'd just like to point out the obvious here:

japan != china ~= taiwan

http://www.alllooksame.com/ yet they are VERY distinct nations

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
sirbikealot said:
AHAHAHHAAAAHAHA

you find bikes like these in a catalog, let me know. I have all the catlogs, never seen anything even remotely close.

If that was a joke, it was a good one! :D

dw

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Toshi said:
besides ska todd's rebuttal below, i'd just like to point out the obvious here:

japan != china ~= taiwan

http://www.alllooksame.com/ yet they are VERY distinct nations

Dude, chill out. China and Taiwan are just two places commonly known for production of such products. Dont be so quick to call people bigots.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
believe it or not, bullits are not the only single pivot bike. i know i know.....but you have to trust me on thise.

those bikes are nice, IH's catalogue must be massive.

~SGD

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
sirbikealot said:
Read the whole thread chief, question was answered. Too clever by half if you ask me, I would imagine they wouldn't be using those names to sell the bikes in Japan.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
ska todd said:

Ha! That is about the funniest thing I've heard...there is nothing Taiwan catalog about these frames. They are ALL proprietary designs from scratch. While they might be singlepivot they are far from off the shelf!

The name Yakuza was Pilfered...

-ska todd
cool man, i understand completely

so I'm guessing the Kumicho wont take a front derailleur at all then

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
thesacrifice said:
cool man, i understand completely

so I'm guessing the Kumicho wont take a front derailleur at all then
Maybe an e-type - not sure if it would have a good chainline though?

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
syadasti said:
Maybe an e-type - not sure if it would have a good chainline though?
Not sure if this is what ya meant, but an e-type derailleur alters the chainline by 3/5ths of 5/8ths of fûck all... unless the chainline is rooted to begin with, it should be right.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
thaflyinfatman said:
Not sure if this is what ya meant, but an e-type derailleur alters the chainline by 3/5ths of 5/8ths of fûck all... unless the chainline is rooted to begin with, it should be right.
Well I think you can mount etype front derailluers on DH bikes with one of the evil chainguides, but the chainlines on most DH bikes aren't that great - I don't know anything about this bike though - Todd or DW would have a better idea than me...

Another thing that keeps front derailluers off DH bikes is that usually the larger tires would rub the front derailluer...

redblues

Chimp
Apr 3, 2007
philadelphia
reviving this thread after a few years, an e type front derailleur will not work on the kumicho.. doesn't clear the pivot. you're stuck with one ring