Quantcast

New Mahindra Diesel Pickups!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I heard about these on the radio, did a search and saw Toshi briefly mentioned something related in his Alternative Transportation thread.

Anyway, I've been bitching for a while that someone needs to offer a midsize diesel pickup in the US, and finally it appears that wish will come true sometime in the next year!

Unfortunately the "Big 3" missed the boat again, and these are built by an indian company. They aren't real pretty, but from all I've read they sound like pretty solid rigs.

They're to get about 33-35 mpg, and cost around $22k with a turbo diesel 4 cyl and 4x4 with a manual transmission. Pretty sweet!

4 door model.

I read the truck is to be called the Mihandra Appalachian :rolleyes: , and that they're not going to be real big on bells and whistles, but are supposed to be great workers and last a long time.

Last edited:

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
wow. tough to get a bead on the actual specs...at least for the suspension.

the one pictured above has coils in the rear, but the one shown here has leafs:

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/news/mahindra/mahindra-pickup-spied-looking-for-new-name.html

Although, the latter seems to be a grey-market truck. The motor specs are great, disc brakes all around, I love the bed rails (why did manufacturers move away from that lip-style bed rail? It is great for attaching cargo straps.), but the 6 speed automatic and coils front and rear dont sound too appealing.

intriguing nonetheless.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
wow. tough to get a bead on the actual specs...at least for the suspension.

the one pictured above has coils in the rear, but the one shown here has leafs:

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/news/mahindra/mahindra-pickup-spied-looking-for-new-name.html

Although, the latter seems to be a grey-market truck. The motor specs are great, disc brakes all around, I love the bed rails (why did manufacturers move away from that lip-style bed rail? It is great for attaching cargo straps.), but the 6 speed automatic and coils front and rear dont sound too appealing.

intriguing nonetheless.
Some stuff I've read say they'll have a 4 cyl and a manual trans. Others said a 6 and an automatic. From what i heard on the radio (NPR) and considering the pricepoint they're trying to nail, Id say it's probably the 4 cylinder and the manual. But yeah, lots of conflicting info. I'll be stoked to drive one .

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
check the alternative transportation thread.....if you are mechanically inclined you can probably put a VW TDI in a 79-85 toyota pickup/4 runner for cheaper than that.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
check the alternative transportation thread.....if you are mechanically inclined you can probably put a VW TDI in a 79-85 toyota pickup/4 runner for cheaper than that.
Who gives a rat's ass what you can cobble together with a bunch of adapter kits and mismatched parts from a half dozen unrelated manufacturers? Clearly there are all kinds of possibilities for the mechanically inclined.

I don't see how all that negates a thread about a brand new auto manufacturer in the US offering what appears to be a new, affordable, fuel efficient vehicle that fills a previously unoccupied niche in the market.
We've all been around long enough to know you'd like it better if it was a rusted out sh*tbox from 30 years ago.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Availability is the major issue there. It's not like there are a ton of TDI's waiting to be pulled or a wealth of Gen2 Toyotas needing a powerplant.

At least I know in these parts the pickings are mighty slim. Hell, finding a decent Toyota for sale is hard enough. But I agree it's an awesome setup.

Of course the OBVIOUS choice would be to have Toyota sell the diesel Hilux in the US.

<edit> :drool: 1990 Toyota crew cab

Last edited:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Availability is the major issue there. It's not like there are a ton of TDI's waiting to be pulled or a wealth of Gen2 Toyotas needing a powerplant.

At least I know in these parts the pickings are mighty slim. Hell, finding a decent Toyota for sale is hard enough. But I agree it's an awesome setup.

Of course the OBVIOUS choice would be to have Toyota sell the diesel Hilux in the US.
Even Ford offers a 4-door, diesel rangers in other countries. It's a damn shame they're not offered here along w/ the Hilux. Still, IMO it's pretty exciting that finally someone is offering such a vehicle. Hopefully it turns out to be the goods. I wont be in the market for 2 or 3 years, so hopefully the first-run bugs will have worked themeselves out by the time Im ready to buy.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR

Those were my thoughts exactly. Decent condition early toyota pickups are tough to find and if you are lucky enough to find them, they are pricey.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wont be in the market for 2 or 3 years, so hopefully they come in Eggplant.
Something is certainly better than nothing. I love my F350, the diesel is clearly the way to go in a truck now that I've owned a diesel after way to many gassers. A mid size would be awesome.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Will they sell them at the Kwik-E-Mart?

but seriously folks...I hope they release them and sell a ton...then ford and toyota and mitsubishi will release their small turbo diesel pickups...which will make me much more happier. I'm not in the market to buy new, but I'd consider one of those immediately. The mohatma, not so much. Ugly as sin with a knockoff tacoma grill.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Man, my first truck was an 81 Toyota 4X. If I coulda dropped a 4 cyl. diesel in that, it would have kicked a$$. I miss that truck. I seem to remember awhile back their being some talk about a mid size jeep diesel pickup. The Gladiator or some such thing.

*edit. Found the Jeep Pickup. Apparently the genius's at Chrysler have killed it. I love my wrangler and I totally would have bought the Gladiator.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
its only a matter of time before the Big Three begin to offer diesels in midsize trucks. they are all starting to offer diesels in their 1500 and F150 series trucks soon, so the only logical next step will be to mid size trucks

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
its only a matter of time before the Big Three begin to offer diesels in midsize trucks. they are all starting to offer diesels in their 1500 and F150 series trucks soon, so the only logical next step will be to mid size trucks
You sure about that?

Mainstream carmakers have put the brakes on nine diesel-powered vehicles that had been scheduled for 2010.
Honda, Chrysler, Ford, General Motors, Nissan, and Toyota have halted diesel programs because of spiraling costs and other problems.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10274812-48.html

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Who gives a rat's ass what you can cobble together with a bunch of adapter kits and mismatched parts from a half dozen unrelated manufacturers? Clearly there are all kinds of possibilities for the mechanically inclined.

I don't see how all that negates a thread about a brand new auto manufacturer in the US offering what appears to be a new, affordable, fuel efficient vehicle that fills a previously unoccupied niche in the market.
We've all been around long enough to know you'd like it better if it was a rusted out sh*tbox from 30 years ago.
look at the delicate flower.....

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'm really starting to wish I had a tacoma/ranger sized pickup.

As far as diesel goes, it seems like not many gas stations offer it. Aren't diesels not-so-great in cold weather?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
they sell those over here. i have very limited experience on them, they havent been on the market for long yet.

the local market is pretty much covered by the hilux (the 1kd-ftv version). there are 2.5l turbo common rail hilux (with 2 outputs) with and without an intercooler, but they kinda suck donkey balls if you arent limited to city driving and drive them as they meant to be driven.

from what i've noticed the mahindras share some similarities with the older nissan fiera pickup truck. i dont have any knowledge of problems with the engines or transmission. i know there have been some problems with the chassis on a few of them (cracked chassis)... but then again, pick this is a mining country and the market for pick ups are basically mining companies that beat the **** out of them. even hiluxes have an average lifespan of 2-3 year for regular use, or 1 year for deep-mining use... about 60k-70k miles on their hands. (i have a few customers whose hiluxes are usually sold at the 40k mile mark because they are no longer reliable), so you get the idea that we really beat the crap out of them.

my take from what ive seen at the shop.

- hilux 1kd are the best of the class. the steering rack is a usual problem, since the rubber boots can break and grind down internals is driven over muddy terrain for long enough. keep in mind this happens when you drive it over 2ft of liquid mineral waste from mines. they can go pretty much anywhere. common rail is VERY sensitive to bad diesel (actually this is true for all common rail systems)

- nissan frontier. doesnt pack much punch. A arms tend to break with relative ease. general opinion is they suck.

- mitsuibishi l200. very good competition for the hilux. a close 2nd. kinda pricey and not as roomy in the cargo area no as rugged though. they can go pretty much anywhere though, but dont take hits very well.

- mahindra. newcomer, kinda weak for real heavy duty use.

- ford ranger turbodiesel. nice but its kinda a novelty truck. its too small to be of much real use. probably good for moderate use or for younger guys to haul bikes and stuff around choppy roads. engine not as reliable as the toyota or mitsubishi. bad attack and belly angles. beefy m/t tires can have rubbing issues.

- dodge ram. its a freaking boat. very nice, but way too city-like. too soft sprung, low mpgs, expensive. nice, but not really a work truck.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Nice post ADH.

Get out and drive one and tell us some more. Take some pics maybe?
i dont have access to a mahindra right now... but there is a mahindra dealership a mile down from my dealership. wiil check with my guys if anybody has taken one apart and will check with the guys at the shop over there and ask whats their take on them.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I'm really starting to wish I had a tacoma/ranger sized pickup.

As far as diesel goes, it seems like not many gas stations offer it. Aren't diesels not-so-great in cold weather?
Diesels are fine in cold weather. They just bitch and complain if you do not let them warm up, vs a gas engine that will quietly let you beat it up until it warms up. Warm up time is all of a minute or two. If it is really cold below 10F it helps to plug a diesel in. A diesel that has been plug in starts so nice, easier than a gas engine sometimes. I believe smaller engines like in these trucks are more tolerant to the cold than larger diesels.

Aren't the emissions standards here in the US the biggest roadblock to more diesel vehicles here in the US? The cost of getting some of the auto companies vehicles over here and complying with the regulations is not financially feasible.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
My 92 22RE is still running strong. The mpg's came out earlier this week at 26. Not too shabby for 260k.

At this rate, I'll be ready for a new truck in around about 5+ years.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Diesels are fine in cold weather. They just bitch and complain if you do not let them warm up, vs a gas engine that will quietly let you beat it up until it warms up. Warm up time is all of a minute or two. If it is really cold below 10F it helps to plug a diesel in. A diesel that has been plug in starts so nice, easier than a gas engine sometimes. I believe smaller engines like in these trucks are more tolerant to the cold than larger diesels.

Aren't the emissions standards here in the US the biggest roadblock to more diesel vehicles here in the US? The cost of getting some of the auto companies vehicles over here and complying with the regulations is not financially feasible.
toyota ftv engines are euro IV compliant.
the 1kd-ftv on the hilux comes in euro IV compliant trim in certain markets. doubt thats the reason.
how low sulfur is the low sulfur diesel in the US???? that liability could be a reason. you can kill a common rail system with dirty diesel and thats a $4k problem to fix.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
My 92 22RE is still running strong. The mpg's came out earlier this week at 26. Not too shabby for 260k.

At this rate, I'll be ready for a new truck in around about 5+ years.
You have yourself quoted in your sig? :rofl:

Anyway, the Eggplant Ranger from 94 gets about 19 or 20 mpg. I havent even hit 90k yet, so Im assuming I have a while before Im forced into the market, at least a couple years anyway. 35mpg would be so nice. Truck payment wont.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
that was basically the same article as i posted....and yes i am sure. Once Chrysler and GM come out of their bankruptcy, its been talked about to move the the smaller diesels to the 1/2 tons trucks before the end of 2010. Cummins is also suppose to have the smaller diesel ready for 2010 as well.
once the automakers pull their heads out of their asses, the 1/2 diesel will make way for the mid-size truck diesel