Quantcast

New Mahindra Diesel Pickups!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Edmunds lists the projected MSRP of the 4 door 4x4 at $23,700. Not bad considering what a full sized diesel will run and at 30+mpg, it's a deal.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Edmunds lists the projected MSRP of the 4 door 4x4 at $23,700. Not bad considering what a full sized diesel will run and at 30+mpg, it's a deal.
and considering that all mid size trucks in its category go for several thousands more all while getting worse mileage. there are no mid size trucks with a diesel in America, so im thinking people will adopt this truck.
its not going to sell 100k like the Tacoma, but im still anxious to drive it

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
and considering that all mid size trucks in its category go for several thousands more all while getting worse mileage. there are no mid size trucks with a diesel in America, so im thinking people will adopt this truck.
its not going to sell 100k like the Tacoma, but im still anxious to drive it
Me too. That is well out of my price range, but if I were in the market for a new truck, it would be high on the list unless it just totally sucks ass.

My next project will be a 2wd 89-94 Toyota with a TDI transplant. I might do a 4x4, but I have yet to use the 4wd in my current truck, so it will likely be a 2wd.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
It'll be interesting to see the quality, of which I'm skeptical, for that price. Once you subtract the powertrain costs there isn't much left over for build quality.

The regular cab with 7.5' bed would be a tight little work truck but the 4d bed looks useless. I don't see how you could even fit the max payload in it unless you're carrying lead.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
you wont see those things in the states for another 2 years i bet
They were to be out in late 2009.
Who knows how long it will be?
...which is fine, as the Ranger is still running strong. But, I really want to drive one of these things.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
you wont see those things in the states for another 2 years i bet

Diesel version this Spring, diesel/electric hybrid in the Spring of 2011.

Marketing hype:
Mahindra’s common rail diesels are cleaner, quieter, greener and more efficient than ever. Our new generation of clean-burning diesels emit 97 percent fewer sulfur emissions than old-school diesels and virtually no sooty particulates. They produce 30 percent fewer greenhouse gases per mile than gasoline engines – while getting 20 to 40 percent better fuel mileage. And they do it all while maintaining the traditional diesel advantages of more torque and greater durability.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My next project will be a 2wd 89-94 Toyota with a TDI transplant. I might do a 4x4, but I have yet to use the 4wd in my current truck, so it will likely be a 2wd.
here.

Flywheel layout. The center must be bored out as the stock toyota is 40mm or something. The flywheel bolts are a weired M10x1.00. Very fine thread. (EDIT) you must swap the 48 and 72 degrees. The offset hole is closer to the right side hole not to the left.!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
This is really interesting... Burly, I signed up as well, wanna test drive that too.
I have 175k on the subaru now... hoping to keep it running for a while longer, this may be my next vehicle.

as was stated, Mericans are idjits... and need to stop stalling progress with the desiels.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
i may have posted this already, but i got to look at 2010 isuzu pickup when I was at a stealership in Germany this january. Very nice little pickup. Bare-bones. No plastic shet rivetted or screwed to the body. Steel bumpers. No test drive though.

On another note, I am surprised that the Euro 6 standards aren't higher (as is more stringent) than CARB. I am going to have to take a closer look.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
as was stated, Mericans are idjits... and need to stop stalling progress with the desiels.
Our emissions standards are just fine, even better than Euro 6 in NOx. The health of the environment and the people in the community is more important than some selfish idiots getting better mileage.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
as proven by Mercedes, a diesel can be better for the environment than a gas engine
Not feasibly economically for the average owner, nor can a hybrid right now...

Maybe the Mahindra can come close for the mid-range buyer but its not too much cheaper than a cheaper hybrid either.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
Our emissions standards are just fine, even better than Euro 6 in NOx. The health of the environment and the people in the community is more important than some selfish idiots getting better mileage.
You're kidding right?.....with the EPA's constant moving target for diesel emissions how do you expect a Mfg to bring a product to market?....:mad:

Oh, I forget in Washington they think we simply click our heals three times and money appears in the Corp accounts.

J

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You're kidding right?.....with the EPA's constant moving target for diesel emissions how do you expect a Mfg to bring a product to market?....:mad:
VW, Mercedes, and BMW all have non-truck diesel products on the US market so STFU. The Japanese brands did their market analysis and decided it wasn't economically viable.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Maybe the Mahindra can come close for the mid-range buyer but its not too much cheaper than a cheaper hybrid either.
But they are developing a hybrid for next year and there still isn't a mid sized diesel truck available, so it is its own market. The only "hybrid" trucks available were epic failures (Tahoe, Silverado, whatever else).

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
But they are developing a hybrid for next year and there still isn't a mid sized diesel truck available, so it is its own market. The only "hybrid" trucks available were epic failures (Tahoe, Silverado, whatever else).
Yes its in its own segment for now...

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
what's the final verdict, d00d?
Instead of a simple spring to tension the timing belt, they use an expensive hydraulically actuated tensioner. It failed, killed my engine. Going to head over to the shop now to see if they would be cool with me sourcing an engine since I found a few very low mileage wreck engines on ebay for around $500-$1000 less than what some of the shops here would be able to source from the local junk yard/ rebuilt engine scene.

Figured I'd have them take care of that, pay off my last 3 months of car payments, and then say buh bye to that car.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
What's Mahindra got
I didn't say anything negative about Mahindra. It has to be compliant before they'll sell it. Its obviously attainable with all the other diesel trucks on the market right now. You'd have to be dense to be against emission regulations though, its not some conspiracy in any way.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
VW, Mercedes, BMW, and others all have non-truck diesel products on the US market so STFU.
Let me know if I missed something but the discussion is about midsize diesel trucks and the lack there of in the USA…….The leading factor in the delay of a diesel F150 and like models was the EPA’s ever changing diesel emission standards.

You may want to climb down off your cloud of ‘smug’ and try selling your position to the small business man who’s been waiting for a break…..gasoline is projected to climb well above $3 a gallon this coming summer while the gas/diesel price differential has been closing due to higher allotment of diesel fuel for domestic distribution.

So don’t’ tell me to stfu………

J

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
So don’t’ tell me to stfu………

J
Sure I can, diesel drivetrains will always cost more than gasoline ones and diesel trucks never left the US market like automobiles did. Its not easy to make diesels or hybrids cheap, that's the reality so quit complaining about needed and required compliance. You don't have the right to pass the buck off everyone else and pollute more so you can save at the pump.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Its not easy to make diesels cheap...
Why? Are they filled with gold and other precious metals? Last time I looked, they used the same parts. The reason they cost a lot now is the demand is lower and the trucks are build like brick sh!thouses.

The MSRP of these trucks is in line with a Ford Ranger with way less mileage. US manufacturers have no motivation to build 1/2 diesels, maybe they will now.

A diesel should cost very little if any more than a gas counterpart. A hybrid is a different story because the energy storage technology is most of the cost.