Quantcast

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
You've got higher knob height in the center than the HR, and a more open spacing than the DHF. So you're looking at more of an intermediate tire for softer conditions. HR and DHF will still be the choice for hard and dry conditions, or when you need a faster rolling tire.

It's a nice evolution to something that is a bit more versatile.
So basically it's like a better clearing DHF? sounds good for places like Bromont. Hopefully they make it soft enough that it'll grip on the wet rock faces and roots....

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
chatted with the guy who designed the maxxis tire, good guy first off and apparently has not seen the canfield tire that maxxis is manufacturing.

Same principal that chris and Lance are after with tire conditions and terrain.
The tire has a preliminary name that im sure will come out at some point, so either way we get some new tread patterns this season which regardless if its a canfield, derkaiser ot maxxis there will be a flavor for almost anyone.

so aside of my initial comments it should be a good tire! :thumb:

Last edited:

supramk388

Chimp
Oct 20, 2010
Albuquerque
But isn't the Canfield tire just a slightly modified version of the HR anyway?

It's kinda like the pot calling the kettle black IMO.
Nope, look closer and maybe you will see. It was designed to be best of both but Maxxis got the spacing wrong on the first run. Looks like Maxxis took that input and made it there tire. Yes it it not exact but we get the point.

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
You've got higher knob height in the center than the HR, and a more open spacing than the DHF. So you're looking at more of an intermediate tire for softer conditions. HR and DHF will still be the choice for hard and dry conditions, or when you need a faster rolling tire.

It's a nice evolution to something that is a bit more versatile.
I had read this as being a replacement or update to the highroller. will they still be making the high roller then?

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I had read this as being a replacement or update to the highroller. will they still be making the high roller then?
I don't know what Maxxis has planned, but they would be making a serious mistake if they stopped making the High Roller. Pros would be the first to complain. I'm guessing the HR will go on.

Plus, others have hinted that this tire has a new name, indicating this is a different tire altogether.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
haha. evidently.

soooo... is he for real? seems an odd thing to claim if not.
He's definitely for real. Wayne likes to talk it up, but he's as honest as it comes. He was running some one off prototype last summer when we were up in the Loops, there's a relationship there with Maxxis but I'm not sure how it came to be.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Plus, others have hinted that this tire has a new name, indicating this is a different tire altogether.
It does have a name; Descendant (as in descendant of the High Roller). It is my understanding that this tire will replace the High Roller. I would imagine it won't just be a flip of the switch and no more HR. Most likely it will be based on the success of the new tire and continued selling strength of the HR.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Wayne's good ****, smart, and he really knows his stuff.
Then if he's going to replace the high roller he should have duplicated the center knob rolling surface while improving the retarded braking edges.

Tell him I said congratulations on slightly above average™, and at least not coming up with a tire that contradicts itself every centimeter.

bholwell

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Hello, all. Thought I'd post here and clear up some misconceptions and answer some questions.

Firstly, the design was copied from no other tire besides the High Roller. If the Canfield brothers also used the High Roller as a basis for their design, then it stands to reason that the tires would look similar. I still have not seen the Canfield tire, but I met to Chris Canfield yesterday and he described his tire to me. It didn't sound very similar...

Secondly, Wayne Parsons did assist in the design of this tire. It was a little strange, because I had already begun thinking about a High Roller redesign, and then out of the blue Wayne sent me a picture of the High Roller with some modifications that he thought would make the tire better. Two of those modifications were identical to the ideas in my head, so I thought it would be nice to include him in the design process. He and I worked well together, and it was an enjoyable experience.

Thirdly, we are not yet sure if this tire will replace the High Roller or if it will be an all new tire. I can say that this tire was fully tested (by Peat, Minnaar, R. Cunningham, Lars Sternberg, Bryn Atkinson, and others) and they all felt that the tire was equal to or an improvement over the original High Roller in every performance category. Cornering traction was the biggest area of improvement, with braking improved as well. The transition was gradual, and the tire gave warning before breaking free (an area where the original High Roller suffers). We'll release a DH single compound 60a, a DH triple compound 3C, and a folding Exo version first.

Any other questions- just shoot.

Bryan Holwell, Senior Tire Design & Development Engineer, Maxxis

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Any chance on the UST version being released soon.

Also - is there a chance for your UST tire sidewall redesign? They tear very easily for a 2ply tire.

bholwell

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Knoxville, TN
No UST version very soon (that would require cutting a new mold). We will have to see about a Super Tacky version, as well as a 3C Exo version, but I would like to offer both of these.

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
Then if he's going to replace the high roller he should have duplicated the center knob rolling surface while improving the retarded braking edges.

Tell him I said congratulations on slightly above average™, and at least not coming up with a tire that contradicts itself every centimeter.
You sound like the expert so can take what ever issues you have with the tire up with him. The guy knows his stuff and I highly doubt Maxxis would ever get behind something like this without making sure it's going to be an awesome tire.

You on your rag or something? :thumb:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I highly doubt Maxxis would ever get behind something like this without making sure it's going to be an awesome tire.
I know right? :D

This new tire looks pretty legit. Read my very first post in this thread.

Kidwoo said:
At least it looks like someone put some thought into it
I'm not bagging on maxxis, they're one of if not the only company who literally doesn't make a bad dh tire (except for maybe the dhr). I don't have any issues with it, I just would have done one or two things slightly differently if it were a direct replacement of the HR. I can tell you right now just by looking at it, they did a good job addressing the one big flaw of the HR. But hell I'd love to geek out with bholwell over some beers and make fun of some of the other stuff out there from other companies:D

My grumpiness is born out of a pretty long standing disappointment with the industry's ability to figure out how to grab dirt on a rolling surface by so called 'experts'. I mean look how long most tire designs last (again, not maxxis dh tires). There's a reason for that. Most of them suck. I might have been a little harsh with the 'above average' comment but considering what else people put out there that's basically calling it the next coming of christ ;)

I'd be happy to elaborate on why good tires work and bad ones don't but I don't think even you would want to sit through more of diatribes.

Last edited:

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
This has been a very entertaining read! Thanks for all my old nsmb.com friends for the support while people gave me a healthy beat down in a classic e-speculation kind of way. ;)

Mr Holwell and I banged this one out in record time. Its true, I just sketched it up one day and sent it in, and Bryan and El Presidente both liked where I was going with it. It was a pleasure working together. Hopefully we can work on more.

What I was going after with this was to retain everything good about the High Roller but give it much better braking and cornering abilities. See that rounded braking edge on the center knob on the HR? Well as you can see on the new tire, that's a flat edge now which plows into the ground far better than the old style knob. The ramped leading edge has been steepened slightly to allow less float and offer better bite on the sides of the knobs, yet retain some of the good rolling characteristics of the HR. The intermediate knobs are slightly wider and sharper with a small sipe. This is another area where the HR suffered a little is when you leaned it over hard. It tended to float a little, but this one holds a line.

Like the HR, it will be a better front tire for tracking lines, but the braking edges are good enough to run it in the back as well.

I read all the test results from the various top shelf pros and whatever Bryan and I aimed to design into this, they all agreed on it.

One big problem with a lot of mtb tires on the market, is that they are designed to look good first, and performance second. Most tire designs don't have to be overly complicated to function well, they just need some thought. There is a certain lack of good rear specific DH tires on the market right now. There are a couple (ie: Kenda Excavator) but generally, the needs of how the rear tire works in a race situation is much different than that of the front tire. I'd like to develop a couple of good rear tires for different terrain, but ones in which you look at them and know what its meant for.

Thanks for reading dudes! I hope you like it, because I am stoked.

Kidwoo, I think we were separated at birth.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hey WP: Glad you got a job designing tires man. I was starting to think guys like you didn't exist.

That pointed braking edge on the HR drove me nuts. Not because it ended up making THAT huge a difference braking on sketchy dirt, but just because I knew no one on the planet could ever give a good reason why it existed. :D

Riddle me this: Will you guys ever make a tire with a center knob pattern like this one, but with the side knobs like a minion dhf that flatten out the top part of the profile? (IE: the characteristic 'not so round' profile) I can't think of a single tire that has that side knob placement but it should be on at least half the mtb tires in production. That earlier channel engagement rules.

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Hey WP: Glad you got a job designing tires man. I was starting to think guys like you didn't exist.

That pointed braking edge on the HR drove me nuts. Not because it ended up making THAT huge a difference braking on sketchy dirt, but just because I knew no one on the planet could ever give a good reason why it existed. :D
Yes! That bugs me too. Looking at a tire (ie: DH-R) and wondering why it was made like that. A massive channel going down the center of a REAR tire is not a good thing.

Riddle me this: Will you guys ever make a tire with a center knob pattern like this one, but with the side knobs like a minion dhf that flatten out the top part of the profile? (IE: the characteristic 'not so round' profile) I can't think of a single tire that has that side knob placement but it should be on at least half the mtb tires in production. That earlier channel engagement rules.
I'm not the one to ask, but ya never know!

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
haha. evidently.

soooo... is he for real? seems an odd thing to claim if not.
hahahaha really? Why don't you just ask me directly? I'm right here, PM me and I'll give you my phone number and we can talk, if you want to of course. Or you can speculate on the internet some more.

:nerd: :tinfoil: :panic:

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Thirdly, we are not yet sure if this tire will replace the High Roller or if it will be an all new tire. I can say that this tire was fully tested (by Peat, Minnaar, R. Cunningham, Lars Sternberg, Bryn Atkinson, and others) and they all felt that the tire was equal to or an improvement over the original High Roller in every performance category. Cornering traction was the biggest area of improvement, with braking improved as well. The transition was gradual, and the tire gave warning before breaking free (an area where the original High Roller suffers). We'll release a DH single compound 60a, a DH triple compound 3C, and a folding Exo version first.

Any other questions- just shoot.

Bryan Holwell, Senior Tire Design & Development Engineer, Maxxis
Yes. I am excited to try this tire out. Lars' description sounded great even in comparison with the mighty Minion DHF. So yeah... looking forward to it.

I always liked the Minion DHF front and High Roller rear for the braking, cornering and "rear brake free first" feeling. However the pointy center knob on the High Roller wears out too fast and running different tires F&R is not so sweet for rotating and only replacing one at a time ;)

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Yes. I am excited to try this tire out. Lars' description sounded great even in comparison with the mighty Minion DHF. So yeah... looking forward to it.

I always liked the Minion DHF front and High Roller rear for the braking, cornering and "rear brake free first" feeling. However the pointy center knob on the High Roller wears out too fast and running different tires F&R is not so sweet for rotating and only replacing one at a time ;)
EXACTLY!!!!!

I run dhf's front and rear. I would also prefer to run a high roller out back for the better braking and drifting characteristics, but I cant affort to be switching out more tires than I already do.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

This tire screams wet loamy fall line PNW crazyness to me. Tackle lars and take them and I'll bet you'll be stoked. I read in a magazine that he idolizes brian boitano though so he may in shape. Maybe grab them during one of his triple axles.