Quantcast

New MX tune and Obtainium goodness

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
This isn't a DH bike, nor am I a DH racer(won a shirt on phat wednesday though!), but I figured it would be interesting to you guys, enjoy!

So I was in the Seattle area a few weeks ago and (because nobody locally can) I called Jim at Obtainium to see if he would measure a couple springs for me. I stopped by and he measured my Fox coil springs, both 15 lbs off, he also showed me around, showed me how his testing worked, saw a proto Foes spring, 9 freaking inches long! I wanted a spring, but wasn't sure which weight to get, 300 too soft bottoms where it shouldn't, 350 feels harsher than it should. He was going to let me borrow an old proto spring that he used for testing new batches of Ti, but none were close, so he let me borrow a new 325 Ti spring! Jim is an awesome guy.

couldnt get a better pic of the spring itself, bad camers skills.:(

At the same time my DHX was leaking oil, so I decided to get it Pushed, Jimmy mentioned over the phone they had caught up on backordered MX reservoir bridges so I got that too. Got the shock on Thursday, too late for a ride.(planed on picking it up at the FedEx station, but no the driver forgot to pull the package off his truck then didn't deliver it, had to track his ass down)

Did some initial high intensity testing, eleventy five percent better than stock based on results!:rofl:

My supervisor let me leave early on Friday so I headed up to Whistler for the day, you know to uh break it in. It was a bit muddy on the mountain, looked like it rained in the morning before I got there, not too bad you could avoid most of the puddles. The traction gain was immediately noticeable, especially in less banked corners. The ridiculous braking bumps felt much better, which I am really happy about, the bruises on my hands from the week of Whistler in August just went away. I made the mistake of going down Samurai Pizzacat, mud hole after mud hole separated by slimy tangles of roots, not sure how I didn't face plant, probably chalk that one up to the shock. Last time I was in whistler was mid August, pretty damn dry, saw no rain all week, and I was also riding the 300 spring on the DHX, so it isn't a perfect comparison.
I didn't screw with the hi/low adjusters, wanted to establish a baseline before I started messing with it. I'll be riding my local trails today or tomorrow, with one or 2 full days in whistler this weekend, il keep you guys posted.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
did you say proto Foes spring?????

id be all over that for my DHS but i wonder how much it will flex like my steel spring does.

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
did you say proto Foes spring?????

id be all over that for my DHS but i wonder how much it will flex like my steel spring does.
It was a spring for a Foes, over 9 inch free length and wider than a normal spring, maybe like 2.5" OD can't say for sure, he said it was Foes so I'l trust him.
By flex you mean bow sideways? He sells thrust bearings for his springs that prevent the spring from binding when it compresses, that could be your source. I didn't ask if he will make some for the Foes spring.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
You should have tried the Obtainium bearing collar. It is awesome, too. Jim is great and so is Jimmy. Jimmy came to Montana and did some riding this summer. He brought his wife Tammy and she is an AWESOME rider. Good people and good parts.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It was a spring for a Foes, over 9 inch free length and wider than a normal spring, maybe like 2.5" OD can't say for sure, he said it was Foes so I'l trust him.
By flex you mean bow sideways? He sells thrust bearings for his springs that prevent the spring from binding when it compresses, that could be your source. I didn't ask if he will make some for the Foes spring.
Foes tried doing a similar collar like that for their springs as well, but with a spring that long, its still inevitable.
my steel spring consistently rubs on the shock body. thankfully its on the plastic "can" that can be replaced when worn too much

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Foes tried doing a similar collar like that for their springs as well, but with a spring that long, its still inevitable.
my steel spring consistently rubs on the shock body. thankfully its on the plastic "can" that can be replaced when worn too much
My 250,325 and 400lb Ti springs on my 10.5x3.5 Revox's on my sessions do the same thing. If I use more than the first 50% of travel my shock sounds like a goose honking due to the spring rubbing the threaded portion of my shock body.
My 11x3 Curnutt w/ti spring on the Foes doesn't come close to touching, likely due to the coil being so large, I can see it rubbing on a Mono Curnutt though.

-Kevin