Quantcast

New Nomad

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
looks awesome. I wish they would make getting the carbon links an upgrade option and look in to a better place for those grease ports.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
looks awesome. I wish they would make getting the carbon links an upgrade option and look in to a better place for those grease ports.
Do you mean an upgrade for the prior model? If so, interesting idea. The links are different from the prior model (the pivots are in different places, etc.) so they would need entirely different molds to do that, which is probably too expensive given what would likely be pretty limited demand.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Whey looks nice.. I like the grease ports... Wish other companies would do that!
you mean MORE companies...

Turner had been doing this for years. And now Intense is following SC's footsteps.

Do you mean an upgrade for the prior model? If so, interesting idea. The links are different from the prior model (the pivots are in different places, etc.) so they would need entirely different molds to do that, which is probably too expensive given what would likely be pretty limited demand.
c'mon you're in bed with those guys...make it happen damnit! ;)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
in a sealed pivot system where is the old grease being pushed out to?
Well, if pivots were truly sealed, they would never need more grease and no dirt would get in either.
And in this fairy tale world, all hot chicks would go pantiless, and do cartwheels in the street when I walk by.

That new Nomad looks sick.
The old one make me sick.
I like all the changes they made.

Last edited:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Looks like all very welcome improvements to areas that were lacking: axle path, compression rate, geometry. Stronger, lighter frame is icing on the cake. New guy is doing good work.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
That would be awesome but i was referring to having an option to upgrade to carbon from aluminum links. Have a std. model and a blinged out model. Possibly even cater to the people who dont fully trust carbon yet. :clue:

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
Well, if pivots were truly sealed, they would never need more grease and no dirt would get in either.
And in this fairy tale world, all hot chicks would go pantiless, and do cartwheels in the street when I walk by.
...and Mr Wizard, what happens when you push old grease through your seals?

thats right, you ruin the seal...fast. So now instead of spending one hour every few months repacking/lubing the bearings, you can just pump more dirty grease through the seals and wear them out in half the time. In a sealed system grease zirks are pointless IMO.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
What's yours guys opinion on the 14" BB; to high to low or just right?
Having ridden about 5 different 6" travel bikes in the last year with BB heights ranging from 13.5" to 14.25", I'd say it is a touch high (for my tastes) but a definite improvement over the current model. I've found my personal sweet spot to be 13.75".

ps - I think the new Nomad looks great.

Last edited:

johnnycash

Chimp
Jul 15, 2008
UK
Aby sealed bearing can only have a limited seal, as it has to move. But didn't turner have grease ports as they used bushes, not bearings?. I like the grease ports idea, sure they look vulnerable but looks like an easy way to prolong bearing life though.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

thats right, you ruin the seal...fast. So now instead of spending one hour every few months repacking/lubing the bearings, you can just pump more dirty grease through the seals and wear them out in half the time. In a sealed system grease zirks are pointless IMO.
I think you took his comments the wrong way, and if you have such a strong opinion why ask the question?

Anyway, the seals aren't perfect, and even if they were, grease breaks down and needs to be replaced. The average rider can't break down and clean the bearings in an hour, and it's a pain regardless of how long it takes. As for ruining the seals, I can't say for sure, but my understanding is that the labyrinth seals on the new bearings and pivots do a pretty job of keeping debris out while still allowing the purging of old grease and contaminants. Pretty sure the grease ports also keep the pivot axles lubed, which helps too.

But I drink the SCB koolaid so take it for what it's worth.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop

Well, I'll leave the repacking of bearings to you muggles.
I have only owned Turners and Specialized bikes for years now,
and both companies have their pivot systems totally dialed.
With Turner, you use a grease gun every few months,
and with Specialized, you don't touch $hit, and you don't even have to replace shock bushings.
Not working on bikes gives me more time to work on my potions.
They don't call me Mr. Wizard for nothing.:rofl::rofl:

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
I think you took his comments the wrong way, and if you have such a strong opinion why ask the question?

Anyway, the seals aren't perfect, and even if they were, grease breaks down and needs to be replaced. The average rider can't break down and clean the bearings in an hour, and it's a pain regardless of how long it takes. As for ruining the seals, I can't say for sure, but my understanding is that the labyrinth seals on the new bearings and pivots do a pretty job of keeping debris out while still allowing the purging of old grease and contaminants. Pretty sure the grease ports also keep the pivot axles lubed, which helps too.

But I drink the SCB koolaid so take it for what it's worth.

I got what JR was saying, I was just smartassing myself.

Just from an engineering stand point, you don't normally run sealed bearings with grease zirks. Seal's make the whole getting grease in and out a bit difficult.

Carry on with the praise...it's a nice bike for sure.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Their bikes for sure are looking better and better. I wonder when the VP Free will get an update seems like its the one that needs it the most.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Their bikes for sure are looking better and better. I wonder when the VP Free will get an update seems like its the one that needs it the most.
i still dont get why they even make this bike anymore, its almost pointless, 1 inch of travel?

It's a turd compared to the 2 bikes around it in the line, i know that is your point but honestly:nopity:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I love zircs. They work great will only a little regular maintenance. The problem is the people who ride their bikes in the mud and forget to get out the grease. This is 99% of the bike riding population.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
man that is one sexy sexy bike.
might be a stupid question, but i'm out of the loop... is that an air Vivid?...

guess i'll say it before anyone else. what are the chances of the bottom grease port getting bent or knocked out of place?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
... is that an air Vivid?...
It is a monarch..It is the 'better' of the RS air shocks....bigger mount bushings, floodgate control. It has been around for a bit and I find it interesting that there has been no feedback that I have seen....

Great yet no one has it yet???? sucks??? It is an RS air shock and no one cares?? or still just equates it to older RS rear air shocks... I do not know.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
i still dont get why they even make this bike anymore, its almost pointless, 1 inch of travel?

It's a turd compared to the 2 bikes around it in the line, i know that is your point but honestly:nopity:
They need a bike to compete with the socom and light dh market. It sold quite well if my memory serves me correctly.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
They need a bike to compete with the socom and light dh market. It sold quite well if my memory serves me correctly.
why? so they can take pre-orders on 2 bikes that will never ship & skip a year on 2 bike models instead of one?

Oh, and Jeremy, if cartwheeling chics with no panties is your perfect world, why don't you just move to downtown Gaffney?

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
I may be wrong but I believe the grease ports are so you can put grease on the axles to stop them from creaking, and don't really have anything to do with the bearings themselves. Everytime my Nomad creaks it is because the axles are dry, adn I have to pull the linkage apart, put grease on them and put it back together. The bearings seem to always run smooth and silky.

EDIT: According to the article, I am wrong and it does go into the bearings. NM

Last edited:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Still too high. There are enough people like zark around that don't know how to pedal that it will still sell like crazy though:D
If it were DH specific I'd say lower away, but I got to climb some techy sh*t sometimes:crazy:

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon

They put the VP Free on hold and are designing a slope style bike along with a slightly shorter travel(between 7" and 8") version of the VP Free. It seems likely they won't produce the VP Free again if the shorter travel version gets the green light. I'm just waiting for them to actually mass produce the Bluriana since the blur 4x is NLA.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Still too high. There are enough people like zark around that don't know how to pedal that it will still sell like crazy though:D

That said, the changes in suspension rate and shorter chainstays are enough to make me interested in riding one.
I don't know Kevin - I also like low BB's, but my Nomad is even higher at 14.2 and to be honest it doesn't really bother me. As a matter of fact, because of the falling rate characteristics of the current Nomad, I've actually hit my pedals a few times trying to pedal too early when exiting a corner - and I'm running 170mm cranks.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't know Kevin - I also like low BB's, but my Nomad is even higher at 14.2 and to be honest it doesn't really bother me. As a matter of fact, because of the falling rate characteristics of the current Nomad, I've actually hit my pedals a few times trying to pedal too early when exiting a corner - and I'm running 170mm cranks.
I think the 13.75" suggested was spot-on. I'm going to see how my BLT2 works at 515mm (what I prefer) at Fell (rocky and tech) this weekend - I know its little lower than the RFX at the same AC. If it doesn't work out I can always turn the lever and go to 545mm - it still feels decent.

They revised the VPP for the next generation bikes so I don't think the falling thing is as much of an issue anymore. As the article notes in the first post:

singletrackworld said:
The VPP revision results in a flatter shock rate, meaning a less dramatic falling rate at the beginning of travel, and less of a rising rate near bottom-out. The instant center of the rear suspension now sits lower than before, and the new design has less chain growth than the old one. These elements make the new bike pedal and climb more efficiently than before. The geometry of the bike still ensures excellent stability, but the suspension feels more lively and the new Nomad feels more snappy and responsive everywhere.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I got to climb some techy sh*t sometimes:crazy:

You think the uphills in tahoe look any different than the downhills?

You're situation isn't unique, I promise.;)
Pedal timing needs to come into play on climbs and I really don't care if I hit a pedal while climbing. I do it all the time. It rarely screws me up and it's immaterial for an improved descending characteristic.

Luc, you're point about the suspension is definitely valid. I'm working off the assumption that the new design doesn't sit as deeply in its travel all the time like the current model which would further validate my point I think.

My enduro sl is at 13.8. I'd be stoked with 13.5. I used to ride an old max backbone frame with 4" and change of travel and the thing had a 12" bb. Other than the rear end flex, I loved that bike in corners.

Hitting your pedals once or twice doesn't really mean anything me other than 'be aware of it' for next time. I ripped a pedal out of my crank on my demo 7 a few weeks ago doing the same thing.....pedaling too early out of a turn. The last thing I want to do is get a bike with a higher BB. The coasting cornering is improved enough that waiting to unload your suspension a bit before pedaling is no big deal.

LOW FO LIFE!!!!:D

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
They revised the VPP for the next generation bikes so I don't think the falling thing is as much of an issue anymore. As the article notes in the first post:
I hear the new Nomad VPP rate allow you to run a way lighter shock tune for better use of the travel. Which means more active at the top end and no big fall at the low end (bottom out).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm working off the assumption that the new design doesn't sit as deeply in its travel all the time like the current model which would further validate my point I think.
This is definitely true. Acadian's point about lighter tune is also valid to the extent it means you won't need to run excess pressure or spring weight to compensate for the falling rate, like many current nomad riders seem to do.