Quantcast

New PDC frame

mike425

Monkey
Apr 16, 2004
I own a DH-One, the bike is the best ive ever ridden. The suspension feels absolutely bottomless, its hard to describe, it just ramps up so nice towards the end of the travel. As for pedaling, it just does it, no bob. Corners its so low that sometimes i scare myself how fast i hit a corner and still come tanking out the other side. The bikes really flickable as well, and ride super light.

Ive owned Giants, rotecs, tomacs, brooklyns, ridden V-10S, Bullits, norcos, and intenses. None of them other than the brooklyn come close to how this bike rides, it will make you faster the first time you go on it.

mike

dhdescender

Chimp
Oct 3, 2001
QB - BC
Here is some preliminary info on the new frames:

White FS frame: This frame was designed as a multi-purpose unit, to be able to be used on a variety of terrain, as well as a solid contender in any downhill race, dependant of course upon buildup choice. As it sat there, it was 37lbs, but that said there was defanitly room to shave some poundage on the build spec. As mentioned I (and Engineer temp Aaron Bland...big props to you) designed the frames to be interchangable as far as geometry and travel is concerned. These frames are designed with a 3:1 leverage ratio, and this particular unit using a 2.5" stroke shock will net 7.5" of rear wheel travel.

With a 7" Travel fork:
67.5 Head angle, 14.25" BB Height, 23" effective TT, and 16.9" or 17.2" chainstays.

The 4x frame was designed around 16.9" Chainstays, however these could be used on either frame, for further tuning. The 17.2" length will come with a 12mm thru axle option.
Geo with a 4-5" fork (4x version, 4.5" Rear wheel travel)
69* Headangle, 13.5" BB height, 23" effective TT, 58* actual seat angle, 16.9" chainstays.

The frames are pictured with Ball bearings on each pivot. This will NOT be the case for production, they will use the same needle bearing pivots as the Dh-one, with 12.7mm precision ground hardened axleshafts.

The Hardtails are built with Easton RAD Tubesets, and are designed as a Dirtjump/DS frame. They're designed with both strength and weight in mind, and are an overall very clean, and very effective package. They feature Vertical entry-Horizonatal adjust dropouts with tensioner screws. This allows easy entry at any chainstay setting, as well as the use of singlespeed hubs.
Geo:
69* Headangle, 22" TT (actual), 72* Seatanlge, 15.9" to 16.9" chainstays BB height is 12.5" with a mid 2" tire.

Current estimations of Retail Prices (Not set as of yet):
Currency conversion is using the current rate, changes daily.
Hardtail frame: $900CAD, $720USD
Freeride: $2300CAD, $1829USD
4x: $2200CAD, $1749USD

Thanks to everyone who's been a part of the new frames, and Interbike, it went very, very well.
I'm currently working on a re-vamp of my website asap, so any info your looking for just ask...!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Can I ask what the axle path looks like?

Number two- What's the main difference between the 4x model and the dh model? Just chainstay length? Is the shock different? Can you change between the two and how?

On topic: AMAZING looking frame. Please provide us with more pictures so we may drool, and 1750 is pretty sweet.

dhdescender

Chimp
Oct 3, 2001
QB - BC
Sandwich said:
Can I ask what the axle path looks like?

Number two- What's the main difference between the 4x model and the dh model? Just chainstay length? Is the shock different? Can you change between the two and how?

On topic: AMAZING looking frame. Please provide us with more pictures so we may drool, and 1750 is pretty sweet.
I'll be able to drum up a cad drawing of the path soon....email me @ info@pdcracing.com and I'll get it off to you, I'm just mega swamped right now with a production run and follow-ups with interbike.

The 4x and FR models use different rear shocks (the linkage is both a 3:1 leverage ratio), The FR *can* run the 4x's Chainstay length, and vise versa. The key difference is that I will offer a thru axle for the longer 17.2" cainstay.
They were designed to be able to swap the shocks and to a shorter/longer fork (depending if your going from which to which) and still retain correct riding geometry. I havent decided if that option will see production, but I think it is likly that it will. Basically if you have two forks and two shocks, you can have two completly different riding bikes.

I'm doing a photoshoot soon, I'll post them onto the website...for now I don't even have any photos, just what various media took at the show.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
dhdescender said:
They were designed to be able to swap the shocks and to a shorter/longer fork (depending if your going from which to which) and still retain correct riding geometry. I havent decided if that option will see production, but I think it is likly that it will.
I sure hope it see production with that option. Very nice work Kyle.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
kyle, that new rig is so sweet! nothing this year has piqued my interest the way this frame has....a shame no front der. mount, I'd love to run a two ring setup on that baby! ;) is the rear tire clearance going to improve with the production model, or is that just a wierd optical illusion from the pic, cause it looks mighty tight! anyway, again, killer job, that is one dope rig!

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
just out of curiosity, where are the frame made? Thats a pretty good price, not very common for this side of the pond.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
any word on frame weight? thatd be rad if you can have a dh bike/ds bike all in one, just have to have 2 shocks-all depends on weight of frame though.

dhdescender

Chimp
Oct 3, 2001
QB - BC
sama1ter said:
any word on frame weight? thatd be rad if you can have a dh bike/ds bike all in one, just have to have 2 shocks-all depends on weight of frame though.
Pre-Production weight with the larger shock is mid eights. The use of an air shock for 4x would net a huge difference. Even a 6.5" eye to eye shock is a substantial bit lighter.

All the bikes shown had the shorter 16.9" chainstay length, so that accounts for part of the tire clearance, also the production models are increasing 1/4" in clearance lengthwise, and wider stance yokes to increase clearance widthwise. The 17.2" "FR/DH' drop version will have no problems at all.

Since I've seen more than enough interest in regards to the shock mounts, that option will indeed see production, allowing the use of nearly any shock on the current market, to net a potential range of 4.3" to 8.8". I'm not sure how long travel I want to allow the frame to go as it never was designed as a full bore dh frame, but all I can say is....time will tell :D