Quantcast

New Ride - Intense Socom

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
This isn't my bike, but my friend wanted me to post these up.
This is his 2007 Ride. Team Kozos Rider Michael Patterson's bike.
Canyon Cycles has Intense Socoms in stock! www.CanyonCycles.com
White, and Raw are the only colors I think Canyon has at this point.
I will post Sizes when I know what he has in stock. Right now, I believe they are all Mediums.

Anyhow, check this ride out!

J

J5ive

Nice as. But it looks like the guide doesn't quite work on that frame?

dsotm

Monkey
Jul 21, 2006
WRJ, VT
The amazing thing is that there are several placees where even more weight could be taken off without sacrificing durability (ti spring etc).

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Very very nice. Its only 2.5 lbs more than my reign:bonk: My bike is too fat :disgust:
say WHA? are we going to start seeing people get some kind of Hollywood mentality and try to build the lightest (weakest) bikes possible? christ, i think a seasons worth of riding without replacing parts is worth sacrificing 2lbs....

i know those Socoms are very light and i hate to be a dick, but i'm not believing 36.6lbs until i see a picture on the scale. that sounds ridiculous. how much do those frames weigh exactly?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
very nice. any ideas what bar that is?
...hmmm from the bend and sweep, it looks like it could be an Easton Monkey Bar, but I could be wrong.

Wow - your buddy Mike has a nice bike. 36.6 lbs. w/ that build is pretty light.

Without the tubeless set-up and LG-1 I'm pretty sure it would still come in under 40 lbs.

As was mentioned before, try getting the short crown.

Nice build. Is that a gold Hadley on the back of that thing?

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
Wow, sweet ride! I'd kill for that thing. I believe the 36.6 lbs., I've seen quite a few VPX's built up lighter than that and I think the socom and VPX are around the same frame weight. As for the guy saying it was "too high", what are you talking about? Where do you see any room to get the front end lower? 1 inch rise bar? No spacers with e13 reducer cups?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
say WHA? are we going to start seeing people get some kind of Hollywood mentality and try to build the lightest (weakest) bikes possible? christ, i think a seasons worth of riding without replacing parts is worth sacrificing 2lbs....

i know those Socoms are very light and i hate to be a dick, but i'm not believing 36.6lbs until i see a picture on the scale. that sounds ridiculous. how much do those frames weigh exactly?
8.5lb frame seems to be the number that is sticking in my head.

36.6lbs is completely believeable.

What exactly is weak on that bike besides the saddle?

Very sick ride! I like it alot.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I have almost exactly the same build on my Uzzi VPX, which is a size large, and it is under 40 pounds when set up tubeless. I have a boxxer team instead of the world cup and a gamut chainguide, so 37ish seems pretty believable to me. Also, theres nothing on that bike I wouldnt trust to ride a season on.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Maybe its because I'm not a 200lb butt-smoking downhiller, but I'd trust that frame as soon as I would any other racebred bike on the market.
Intense can hardly make a 10.5lb race bike last a season without cracking / bending, i have doubts about an 8.5lb frame made by intense.

It looks nice, i would ride one if given to me, but i wouldn't buy one with my hard earned money.

I can think or a few race bikes that are almost as light and have been proven to hold up to a season or more.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
who pays retail for bikes anyways these days.
Never mentioned anything about paying retail. I said i wouldn't pay money for that frame, i like to get at least 2 seasons from my bikes, if i can squeeze out 3 then all the better.

That thing has no warrenty from what i have read and is desgined as a throw away one season max race frame, what a waste of money that could be spent on other things imo. If it actually makes it through a season they will have horrible resale value.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
sometimes that's what it takes for some people to get to the top. I would ride one.
Yep, saving 2 lbs off the frame will take you right to the top of the podium mate. Good luck with building the lightest bike around, i'll spend my time practicing my cornering thanks.

IMO frame weight is not significant. Reliability and suspension perfromace is. The only place where weight really, really matters is wheels/tires/hubs/spokes.