Quantcast

New Santa cuz info?

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Apparantly there is a new santa cruz bike being unvieled for the UK bike show....anyone know what it is? should know by the end of the month I guess.

Also apparantly Trek have an all new DH race machine 10" Travel single pivot.

Gary fisher will also have a 10" Travel DH bike linkage affair.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
who wants a trek or fisher downhill bike? the SC i am interested in though. but i cant see why they would release another new 10 inch travel bike when they just revamped the v10.

wirly

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego
I thought there has been rumors a while back that SC was designing a bike in the 6 inch travel range, possibly a sort of all-mountain bike. Maybe that is what is being unveiled. I know Intense is doing a 6.6" VP design.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Curb Hucker said:
I think Trek has a 10" linkage bike and GF a 10" single pivot. At least this is what the designer and marketing manager at trek told me when i rode with them in november.
I doubt it. I would guess they'd be the same bike w/ different stickers like always. I don't think either company has a big enough foothold (or one at all) to support new DH bikes.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Ooh a new Trek and a new Gary Fisher DH bike! I can hardly contain my joy for corporate juggernauts :dead:

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
zedro said:
unlike the mom and pop companies like Specialized and Santa Cruz :rolleyes:

i guess people dont like more choices
SC is still 100% family owned BTW, but I would not call Rob "pop" or he might "POP" me one. Last 4th of July he got ALL the employees a couple of houses and all the beer they could drink in Downieville for a week.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Zark said:
Ooh a new Trek and a new Gary Fisher DH bike! I can hardly contain my joy for corporate juggernauts :dead:
Corporate juggernaughts that can actually take care of warranties, have actual canadian distributors, and ship things on time. I've seen enough crap happen with guys like Santa Cruz and Balfa!

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
dhtahoe said:
Last 4th of July he got ALL the employees a couple of houses and all the beer they could drink in Downieville for a week.
but does SC get LBS reps drunk during bike conventions? anyways...

and theres lotsa 'mom and pop' companies that dont make anything worth ****. A big company like Trek has room to pull off something really impressive if they want. Just cause a companies big, does that automoatically diminish the value of their product? or is it only peoples perception of brands that are cool?

Next thing you'll tell me is Bullits have more soul....

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
dhtahoe said:
Cooooould be the new VP-? that is to replace the Bullet maybe.
Isn't the VPP brother to the single pivot Bullit already in existence in the VP-Free?

A 7" VPP all-mountain bike would be the obvious kin to the 5.6" Heckler.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
My only guess for a new santa cruz would be a slightly lighter and shorter travel VPP to replace the bullit, or better yet, A lighter 7" bike with a mono front end to replace them both.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
TheInedibleHulk said:
My only guess for a new santa cruz would be a slightly lighter and shorter travel VPP to replace the bullit, or better yet, A lighter 7" bike with a mono front end to replace them both.
Why do people keep talking about "replacing" the single pivot bikes? With the exception of the Super8, which had some big flaws, no SP bikes have been "replaced". They have VPP brothren with slightly more travel.

Superlight - Blur
Heckler - ?rumors?
Bullit - VPFree
Super8 (gone) - V10

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Rumor has it that Santa Cruz is taking the blur, and going in two different directions with it. Much like Specialized's Enduro, 1 model is the 4x model, and the other is a 6" Enduro style bike. So I am assumeing that they will be unveiling the 6" version. VPP and all.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The monolithic bike giants? Well, I have good and bad stories, like losing dealerships because 70% of your bikes are not a particular brand or forcing out your president because your supplier (another bike giant) is p*ssed you hired him away.

But I have worked for a bank, an oil company, a nuclear energy company, a military contractor, and a health insurance company. All of them are Fortune 500 companies, huge f*cking soul-eating places.

There is plenty of politicking and big business plays at Specialized and Trek. But people still ride up on their bikes at these jobs, so they are OK by my book.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
OK, assuming that GF will build a longer travel version of the King Fisher and Trek will build a longer travel version of the session, do we really need another Orange 223 or Kona Stab? We got it, it's been done...Please stop...

And quite frankly, I think when most people think of Trek, they think of either Lance Armstrong or XCish type mountain bikes...And when people think of GF, they think of rear triangle's snapping over and over and over and over again on those super swell Sugar frames (or the awesome chain suck issues)...But seriously, GF didn't even have a bike offering over 4 inches of travel until the Cake came along recently...It seems analogous to Ferrari making dump trucks...Sure they could make one, by why bother? And is the pure-bred DH bike niche really that lucrative and worth getting into? Especially when you consider the aforementioned public preception hurdle they must overcome (not saying it's justified, just a common opinion in my experience)...

Obviously the Trek guys could build a decent bike, but seemingly, the DH crowd can be pretty fickle about which brand they buy - right or wrong...

On that note Zedro, you should sell your design to the Trekkies and let'em use that (presuming of course you could get the weight down under 80 lbs :blah: )

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I'd ride a trek Session 77. Those things look pretty sweet to me.
I think the King fisher looks pretty damn cool to. I would love to have either one of them.

Besides I started riding XC 15 years ago, now all I do is pretty much dirt jump and ride skate parks on a single speed 4130 hardtail with a 4" travel fork. People can change, Comapines should be allowed too as well.

dondon

Monkey
SC- 6.6" travel - 7lbs, VPP but not like the blurr or vp free. Curious - just have to wait another few weeks - then still more to come later this year.
Rennie,Voreis and 'o Donnel broke in the training compounds jumps in Socal today with crankworx like step on step off box jump at end of pack. Spomer spotted shooting for YM too.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Yeah if they throw more at the scene im down for it. Personally i think the session looks cool the tubing, paint, and rocker look cool. But its still just a trek.

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Matt D said:
I doubt it. I would guess they'd be the same bike w/ different stickers like always. I don't think either company has a big enough foothold (or one at all) to support new DH bikes.
What like they have both gone with the same design on the current 7" freeride bikes?
There is a lot to distiguish between the two lineups, as far as I know the design teams are very much seperate and they will be coming up with different bikes.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
mtbpaint said:
isnt the Gary Fisher are you talking about the King Fisher?
nah...Its deffo a new bike.

with regards to the santa cruz I think it will be a 6" style bike but im not sure.

I dont really get why people bash Trek so much I love my diesel to bits. and the session and king fishers geom is really very different.

Trek have employed some pretty serious new suspension engineers as have fisher this year so we will wait and see.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Well all those DH pioneering companies dont have more than 10-12yrs of DH experience... this is 0 in my books and can be overtaken quite quickly by a bigger company.

If Trek, GF or any other Big company wants to get into DH or FR or anything, it doesnt really matter if they have produced only XC/Road bikes so far.

0.2 cents