Quantcast

New Scott DH bike

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
This thread needz moaar pics!

Edit: tapered?
At first I thought it looks like a normal Voltage with carbon frame...

Second edit:
According to pinkbike no cheesebike...

Last edited:

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
stupid teaser pics.. this is like showing pic of boob and no nipple.. !!!! hard to tell if its just right or horrible

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Probably but that's going a bit too far considering you can barely make out part of the linkage.
(
yeah, but it isn't too hard to figure out what's happening based on the pivot locations...don't get me wrong, I've like the couple of scott's I've ridden, guess I was expecting something a bit more refined....that being said, I'm interested in seeing the full frame, which I'm sure will be shortly enough!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
hmm, looks overly complex, but then again, it is a scott!
A lot of 'complicated' looking bikes don't have any more pivots or number of moving parts as some simpler looking bikes. It's all just levers pushing shocks dressed up in different packages.

Holding off passing judgment until there are better pics

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
A lot of 'complicated' looking bikes don't have any more pivots or number of moving parts as some simpler looking bikes. It's all just levers pushing shocks dressed up in different packages.

Holding off passing judgment until there are better pics
yup, I understand how they work, and totally agree, which is why the whole 'secrecy' thing is funny to me...yes, I get that it's marketing, etc, etc, etc...

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
you're going to pass judgement based on pics?!

I suppose this is the internet, but still...

son, I am dissapoint!
I meant pass judgment on the complicated part. Even from a picture it's at least possible to see how many moving parts there are.

For example:

Plus it might be ugly, and ugly bikes are slow.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I got to have a spin on this thing in prototype guise. :D
It was pretty sweet!

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Interesting linkage design. Its still a single pivot, and a semi high single pivot too. LIKE!

Edit: Single pivot in that it the rear wheel moves from a single pivot. And since its up high, it should stretch under compression rather than fall in... stable at high speeds?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I'm about to break all my own arm chair rules but:

Looks not much unlike a slightly upside down interpretation of an Evil but with longer linkage arms. 8 pivots, same as and Intense, Santa Cruz. Aside from the swingarm, 2 links to drive the shock. . . pretty standard.

Curious if that linkage requires minimal rotation at the shock eyelets, sort of like the Saracen(?). Would keep friction of a minimum.

Can't decide if I think it's ugly or not. Funny how results have a way of making everything look good though . . .

Last edited:

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
So it's a single pivot with a funny shock linkage.

I think single pivots are great... but I'll be surprised if the leverage curve is revolutionary as a result of that linkage complication. The current voltage has a clean look.
I'm guessing the voltage was their template when they were trying to make a longer travel bike that was lower and stiffer. And like others have said, it may look complicated but in actuality it's got as many moving parts as an evil, trek, transition or any other linkage actuated single pivot. Just doesn't look all that clean.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
when the first model pops up in linkage this thing damn better not have a straight line or simple parabola leverage curve. if that's the case it has no excuse for it's looks.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Looks like they hadn't got enough time to finish that mess early enough.
I think it's a prototype so it will be refined in the long term, but it's really ugly.

Looks like they took a Voltage and stuck in a swingarm of a Session10. And then in the middle around the shock, well...

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Probably pretty effective. Not as low COG as other bikes. But probably rides just fine.

Though with all the competition out of there with frames, you can't afford to make an ugly one no matter how well it rides.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Looks like they added MOAR LINK BARZ just for the sake of adding moar barz.

Theres got to be a simpler way of getting the same shock rate with fewer bits bolted on. Right now, it looks like a mechano kit on coke.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I got to have a spin on this thing in prototype guise. :D
It was pretty sweet!
I guess if they dial the curves it will be. I just don't see a point of making it so strange and enormous. Commencal and Evil achieve a lot without linkage that looks like they outsorced it to HR Giger. Maybe they did it as a part of local patriotism or sth.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
So after looking on that linkage I think they try to have the same effect like you have on 303RDH- almost linear actuation of the shock whitout changing the ratios of the links.

The swingarm basically pulls the shock vertically down. The link that is fixed on the seatstay stabilizes only the shock. On the 303RDH this is achieved by the sliding wagon.
It should be a really linear system where you can benefit from progressive shocks like the RC4.

Edit:
As for the MOAR LINK moaning: There are only two additional ones, the system has to be statically determined. If you want to see more links, look at the Lapierre.

Last edited:

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
when the first model pops up in linkage this thing damn better not have a straight line or simple parabola leverage curve. if that's the case it has no excuse for it's looks.
Jejeje.... I've just checked with Linkage (It's not a good picture, but is not bad either...) and the Leverage Ratio is completely normal: 2.7-2.2 and straight as an arrow. And I'm fine with it, it's going to work well.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
A lot of people must have failed their internet engineering classes... Just because it looks strange doesn't mean it's more complex.

It has the same number of links as any other linkage-actuated single pivot. Heck it has the same number of links as most of the DH frames out there, even all the non-single pivots. The only thing simpler than this would have to be 224's and Izimu's.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Looks like they added MOAR LINK BARZ just for the sake of adding moar barz.

Theres got to be a simpler way of getting the same shock rate with fewer bits bolted on. Right now, it looks like a mechano kit on coke.
There are only 2 link barz other than the frame and swingarm. That's pretty much in line with most other linkage driven singe pivots out there. They're just moar longer.

Funky looks aside, there are about equal numbers of pivots and moving parts on this frame as there are on most others.