Quantcast

NEW Tomac 4x Bike

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Not bad looking. Are you one of the new company owners?? I do like the ball burnished finish. With the proper marketing those bikes will sell.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
i like the fact that they're trying to do something other than a "cookie-cutter" frame... but i'm not really diggin that downtube. it doesn't seem to flow w/ their other lines either.

I think simply a clean frame w/ standard size tubes & a good geometry would sell well simply because of the name Tomac.

just my $0.02

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
For some constructive criticisim, I'd do the following:

1. Beef up the chainstays and seatstays
2. Beef up the rear drop-outs - make em for 10mm maybe and make them replaceable as well as adjustable.
3. To me, from an aesthetic standpoint there's just something off about the way the head tube/down tube/top tube and gusset all come together here. Needs to be cleaned up a bit and refined.
4. Increase the stand-over a bit by dropping the seat tube/top tube joint down a bit.
5. Adjust the seat stays accordingly - (drop em' a bit)

The overall look of the frame is really boxy - doesn't have flowing lines that are pleasing to the eye. I think if you start with these adjustments and go from there it should work out.

Hope this helps.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
reminds me of back in 2000 when we took xc bikes and put DH gear on them. bike just doesn't look good.

try innovating something. and not taking a big step back

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
ugly stuff
wow that is ugly as piss
yeap, I'm with the rest. The downtube is way to big, and the seat tube is way to high, not liking it
crap, crap, more crap
Looks terrible. :plthumbsdown:
Did you get drunk next to a pile of tubing and a welder?
Summed it up nicely

:plthumbsdown: What the hell happened to Tomac...

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Don't beef up the rear end, I quite like how neat and small it is. Run a smaller seat tube (27.2 ffs!) and halve the down tube.

rico

Chimp
Nov 2, 2007
England
:plthumbsdown: What the hell happened to Tomac...
Agreed. I had one of the later 204 Magnums and was looking forward to the new range, but the DH bike and now this 4X bike just don't do it for me. It's a real shame as the name has huge heritage. Off to Intense for a Socom then...

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
OK so you all have spoken.
I will make a suggestions to the owner that he should rework that frame a little. Please keep in mind thought that this is the FIRST Proto. There will be design changes made. So don't get all bummed and newer look at one again.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
reminds me of back in 2000 when we took xc bikes and put DH gear on them. bike just doesn't look good.

try innovating something. and not taking a big step back
You were still doing that in '00? You poor soul

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
needs to be smaller and more maneuverable.

i miss the old tomac magnum, with the lawill. Even the newer SP version had a super low slung look that I've always lusted after. Someday I hope to own an older mag 204, and maybe a mag 88....that is totally drool worthy.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
OK so you all have spoken.
I will make a suggestions to the owner that he should rework that frame a little. Please keep in mind thought that this is the FIRST Proto. There will be design changes made. So don't get all bummed and newer look at one again.
Hey man, no problem!

In spite of all the gnashing of teeth and shedding of tears, I think there is some useful info to work with here.

:biggrin:

Agreed. I had one of the later 204 Magnums and was looking forward to the new range, but the DH bike and now this 4X bike just don't do it for me. It's a real shame as the name has huge heritage. Off to Intense for a Socom then...
Personally I really dig the look and design of the new Tomac Primer. It kinda reminds me of the new SUNN Radical and bits off the Commencal DH Supreme. To me, the 204 was a bit f.u.g.

Jun 20, 2007
So what we're telling you is that is doesn't really need to ride so good as just look cool.
In fairness, that is all we can judge at this point. We can't ride it yet, the geo is not listed, so aesthetics is all we have to comment on. With that, I find it to be lacking a certain sex appeal. However, on a positive Tomac note, the Primer 220 looks great.

Joel Smith

Chimp
Apr 25, 2002
Well, I guess I didn't expect such a negative response...but keep in mind the frame is just going to be used by next year's World Cup DH team for 4X (where the Snyper 4X isn't optimal based on the course). I am just curious to hear from those who hated it which bike they like.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
The commencal 4x ht is pryme. Lightweight XC tubes with a longer tt, shorter rear and a few extra gussets. Perfect.

It is after all a race frame.

rico

Chimp
Nov 2, 2007
England
Commencal are a good brand to look at. I had one of their Meta4X frames and it was mint. A mate had an Absolut 4X and the angles and look are just perfect.

To me, the Tomac 4X frame looks like an XC frame... be worth buying a Commencal to compare.