Quantcast

New trail/AM bike time!

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I can't tell if this is a tongue in cheek attempt at sarcasm, so I'm going to pretend that its not. It does seem to tick all of the right boxes for most of us who just want a bike that you can get out and ride instead of driving to a lift or shuttle which isn't always an option. Its nice to have a bike that is similar in feeling to your downhill bike to keep your skills in tune not to mention the fitness gains.

All are things you know I'm sure but no need to go lambasting someone because they pointed out the fact that a certain bike is pretty much exactly what numerous threads have been started on in seek of.
It was meant entirely tongue in cheek. :thumb:

I'm liking the SJ Evo particularly because it checks the right boxes.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
So does anyone here have saddle time on the Tracer VP? Or the Pivot? Any of the bikes on my list? Bueller?

The Stumpy EVO is cool, but I want a frame only and I doubt they'll do one. Specialized build kits suck IMO, SRAM stuff, crappy DT rims and 15g spokes....yuck!

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
Noah, I've built many Tracers up here at my new shop, and trust me, you don't want one. Flexier than your 6.6, geo is not good for SB at all, quality of travel is mediocre, has tons of problems if you ever want to put and kind of 2x9/10 set up on it...you get the picture.

SB is a very hard place to buy a trail bike for, the descents are really rough but also flatish and the climbs are long and unrelenting. I've thought a lot about a bike for that market and every one I come up with has some kind of compromise, either heavier than desired for climbing, or not as comfortable/confident on the descent. I don't envy your decision at all buddy. Give me a ring if you want any more advice.

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
How about a Rune? I just got one, and am pretty impressed.

Very stiff, good Geo and very versatile. Just not any lighter than what you already have.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Chumba EVO!!!!

Uglier than hell but rides AMAZING... Loved mine if it were a large Id still have it, it drifted like a MX and jumped great... It soaked up like a bigger travel bike in the rocks and I (which is saying alot) pedalled it 3k feet over a couple of miles without stopping... On a road I could have shuttled NO LESS....

I would get another one for a ripper mini DH bike in a heart beat...

I would have liked to gone a totem or 66 on it as well as a better saddle with a gravity dropper post.

Heres the top of the ride it went down to non frozen mud etc...

Or the good ol trusty fast Nicolai ufo another fun AM/FR bike I had

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
So is there anything else besides the spitfire that has a 13.5 or lower BB and a 66-65 HA?

edit: and comes in an XL?

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^

Intense SS Deux

Probably not an ideal AM machine, buts it dope for sure.
<EDIT> not sure about the XL sizing, but given its shortish seat tube, I doubt it would work for you.

And FWIW, I re-measured my Spitfire (in the hallway this time) and it was 13.25". Guess my kitchen will drain well in case of a flood.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Ya that is a tad on the small size. Well I think I'll order up a spitfire on monday unless I can find something better between now and then.