Quantcast

New "trail bike" rides for 2015 (No DH bikes allowed!)

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Ok, I'll play... Yes it's a 29, but RM points restored by doggie bonus. ;)
image.jpg

Guess I can say something about the bike... It's a medium in the lowest model aluminum frame version. I've upgraded to xo cranks and a 28x42 granny gear. The range is good for the riding I do. Also got some Diety blacklabel bars (the flat stockers felt ok, but bummed me out when I looked down at them), and immediately swapped to slx stoppers. The low-spec formula brakes were warrantied before I even took the bike home. Oh, and added a command post IR. It's a bit heavy, but I can ride it hard and monster truck over things and I love it.

OH yeah, and I went tubeless for the first time evar, with mixed results. Got a slaughter grid casing for when the weather gets better.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I dig it so far. There's a little bit of a gap off the top where I feel like it's loose and then it firms up compression, but it's like only in the garage so it might be in my head. On the trail, it's more supple than the fox, but I haven't really toyed with it yet...I literally threw it on the bike and headed out for a ride. I think I'm most excited about taking it up to highland, where it'll actually get a workout, but so far it's an improvement.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Hmmmmm, cooooilll

Super nice to ride, but very glued to the ground as a result. Loses a bit of playfulness - but I still have the air shock for day to day duties

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Cheers, I'm not totally happy with how they came out actually, colours looks a bit washed out and don;t quite match the frame.

I need to take the frame in to a local sign shop so that they can match it for me, then get them remade.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

Got a Transition Scout. Very happy with it so far, very lively ride and makes the technical sections a lot more fun than my old Trance.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
These dentists' bikes are kinda fun even if totally unrideable. I don't like the looks (and price tag) of the new HD3 as much.

Got a Transition Scout. Very happy with it so far, very lively ride and makes the technical sections a lot more fun than my old Trance.
Very nice. I like the new Transition bikes a lot.

then why r u posting this here, post it on the trail bikes forum instead no derrr

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
This is the first time I've done the "new bike because new year" thing. And, after much deliberation, I decided to go with......another Megatrail.

Tires have changes since this pic was taken, now with a DHF up front, HR2 going on the rear soon.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
then why r u posting this here, post it on the trail bikes forum instead no derrr
Hi, I see you joined after these threads were started and after they were edited by a moderator and you clearly missed the joke.

I'm glad you joined though, you seem smart. I look forward to your contributions.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
is that thing working out pretty well for ya? i really like the smuggler.
Yeah, I have put a bunch of miles on it already as I can't stay off the thing. It is perfect for me in that it handles big mountain rides in stride and is really stable, but it also rails in slow techy tight woods where I spend most of my time.
Plus, it has been a while since I have had a trail bike with a suspension that just sucks up small bumps like this, and I have never had one that did it while pedaling so well. It is soft off the top but pedals great at the sag point.
I got it because I loved the geometry with the low bb and short chainstays, but the suspension quality was a really nice surprise. I could go on, but I just love riding this bike, every time.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
I guess this is creeping pretty close to a dh bike.
Large Patrol, Marzocchi NCR Air, XO Drivetrain, Industry Nine wheels, Deity components, Guide Brakes and Push Industries ElevenSix shock(I bought this bc i'm 235 with gear and have had problems with air shocks in the past. Yes I pedal tons and I going down also. It's a stunning shock. It's everything it claims to be. Sticks to the ground so well). Sitting right about 29 pounds and climbs better than the bandit 27.5 and evil uprising I had last year.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
New Slash 9.8

Upgrades-
2016 Float 170
Plastic Reynolds on DT 240's
Matching Grips to make me faster, it's proven
RaceFace cockpit/TIME MX8's en route

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
New Slash 9.8

Upgrades-
2016 Float 170
Plastic Reynolds on DT 240's
Matching Grips to make me faster, it's proven
RaceFace cockpit/TIME MX8's en route
get some se5's, mine showed up and stoked to ride them this weekend, even if it is in bend.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I guess this is creeping pretty close to a dh bike.
Large Patrol, Marzocchi NCR Air, XO Drivetrain, Industry Nine wheels, Deity components, Guide Brakes and Push Industries ElevenSix shock(I bought this bc i'm 235 with gear and have had problems with air shocks in the past. Yes I pedal tons and I going down also. It's a stunning shock. It's everything it claims to be. Sticks to the ground so well). Sitting right about 29 pounds and climbs better than the bandit 27.5 and evil uprising I had last year.
Cool bike, but 29lbs with a coil rear shock and that fork? I'd like to see that on a scale. Put my E29er with carbon wheels on the scale the other week and got just barely less than 30, with very similar components. Everything else being equal, maybe with an air shock...?

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
image.jpg
Sub 30 no carbon I'm stoked! Just wish I could ride it tomorrow

It rides great! Bio pace 2.0 is great especially for a flat pedal rider I recommend it. And I'm a filthy liar the deraillure has a carbon cage!

Last edited: