New Transition Slopestyle Bike: The BottleRocket

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
maybe because it's so tall?

Bill: fix your chainguide.
chain guide is working great...

I am going to love every second of this fork for DH/Bike Park riding, but i might want to bring it down a bit for playing around on xc and what not...That is my only issue. Other than that i love it, bike is still pedaling great.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
I have to say it does look like it's routed under the low pulley. Can't wait to give it a test. Also, can't wait to get to Moab! I'm f'n ready to get out of SLC for a while.

Mar 4, 2003
Somewhere in Alabama
mattmatt, I just traded up from an Imperial to a BR recently, and I can say that it pedals a heck of a lot better. With the large, you can get a fair bit of seatpost extension and it makes for a fun trailbike given its weight. I can't comment on the clipless pedals though.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I have to say it does look like it's routed under the low pulley. Can't wait to give it a test. Also, can't wait to get to Moab! I'm f'n ready to get out of SLC for a while.
Yeah man, it is going to to be a blast to ride it down porcy...you have no idea how amped up i am about it.

I will have to come out over the summer to do some real salt lake dh though...:monkeydance:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
mattmatt, I just traded up from an Imperial to a BR recently, and I can say that it pedals a heck of a lot better. With the large, you can get a fair bit of seatpost extension and it makes for a fun trailbike given its weight. I can't comment on the clipless pedals though.
As for the set up on there...As you can probably see im taking this bike out to moab to ride so the clipless pedals are ready to rock. Typically i ride flats on this bike but it does pedal well with a high seatpost/clipless/dhx set properly...It should be a blast out there with the correct tires/suspension set up...

I ride clipless ALWAYS on my trail bikes...

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Are you riding a Large? Im 180lb, 6'1" and I'm unsure on which size (med/large) would be better suited for me. My current bike is an Imperial, but some of my past bikes include a 19" Iron Horse SGS and a 21inch Diamondback Moto.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
matt, i'm the same size as you and i ride a large. the medium is gonna be cramped for XC rides. it will be far more of a flickable DJ feel. my buddy has one and i am glad that i went for the large. it lets me get a bit more extension and stretch out a bit more in the cockpit for the climbs. depending on the way you like your rides and the speed you ride at the large may be a better call. as you pick up speed, you can feel the shortness in the wheelbase compared to a full DH rig. however, if you like a BMX feel and want to work the bike more, the medium will be a better fit.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i am 5'9 170 lbs and ride the medium, fits me pretty good if i was over 6' i would definately go with the large, the bike is definately not a big bike. It is very small and flickable...There are some places (see diablo) where i wish i a longer bike on the steep rocky stuff. All and all i would trade this bike for basically anything out there right now, it is exactly what i need.

Oh and i think you guys are correct i totally missed the chainguide when i re-installed the chain, i thought it didnt creep past that roller but i wasnt paying attention. :banghead: to me.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I finally got out for a ride on this hog yesterday in the western pa slop...It has been the worst weather lately for trail conditions and the snow is finally gone.

The fork absolutely rips, it has raked the front out a bit more than i would like but for my purpose it will be perfect. It is amazing how light this bike actually rides with the correct set up, i cant wait for a long season of dh this year!

ddinko

Chimp
May 17, 2007
my br is coming in some two weeks at the most, can't wait. medium, raw, marz 66rc2x, dhx air, red wheels, etc. will post the pics as soon as i put her toghether. i REALLY can't wait!

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Are you riding a Large? Im 180lb, 6'1" and I'm unsure on which size (med/large) would be better suited for me. My current bike is an Imperial, but some of my past bikes include a 19" Iron Horse SGS and a 21inch Diamondback Moto.
Im 6'2" and I ride the medium. the large is nice if you actually want to pedal it, but to use the bike the way it was intended, you should get a medium.

Kyle,

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Yup, put black ones on the molly. Nice clean look, strong, lightweight and grip tape to boot. Plus lots of colors to choose from.

The DK distortions with Ti spindles arnt a bad choice either. I use both on different bikes.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
just checked out the flybikes website. man, those are some dope pedals. how big a platform are they? i've got big feets, so i like pedals to be big and wide. i have some dmr v8 pedals that are cool for street, but i don't think i would dh them. 20mm thickness is thin and the 440g weight makes me think the platform might be smaller than something like an atomlab aircorp.

anyone happen to have the atomlabs and a measuring device to compare thickness? the atomlab site doesn't list the dimension for thickness, but they do state they use a 12mm axle. are the fly pedals also on a 12mm, or are they on a 14mm? i would guess 12 since fly claims the bearings have a diameter of 17mm. a 12mm axle would allow for 2.5mm bearings (5mm/2) vs a 14mm axle only allowing for 1.5mm bearings (dang small).

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
just checked out the flybikes website. man, those are some dope pedals. how big a platform are they? i've got big feets, so i like pedals to be big and wide. i have some dmr v8 pedals that are cool for street, but i don't think i would dh them. 20mm thickness is thin and the 440g weight makes me think the platform might be smaller than something like an atomlab aircorp.

anyone happen to have the atomlabs and a measuring device to compare thickness? the atomlab site doesn't list the dimension for thickness, but they do state they use a 12mm axle. are the fly pedals also on a 12mm, or are they on a 14mm? i would guess 12 since fly claims the bearings have a diameter of 17mm. a 12mm axle would allow for 2.5mm bearings (5mm/2) vs a 14mm axle only allowing for 1.5mm bearings (dang small).
They are about the same surface area of a shimano dx platform...but really clean...I took off my tioga mx's and put these on. My friend brandon rides for fly...when i checked out his stuff i had to buy them...they are crazy $$$ though...:plthumbsdown:

Just got back from riding wisp and they took a bunch of rocks pretty hard.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i think i might finally give in too, i've looked at a bunch of other bikes, but i keep coming back to the bottlerocket. can anyone that is 6'0 get full pedaling extension with the large? i'd be using a 410mm thomson post. also, what does yours weigh manhattanprjkt83? mine would be similar but with lighter wheels and cranks. it's funny, i was initially worried that the seat angle would be a problem, but it is almost 4 degrees steeper than that of my yeti asx.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
my bike is at 38 lbs right now but it honestly rides alot lighter, i take it on xc rides with the local crew occasionally to keep it real...I keep the flats and 2.5/2.4's on it and it is entirely pedalable.

I have also ridden it on some epic xc stuff out in fruita and moab with clipless, full seat height, and xc weight 2.3 tires worked damn good. I am a real believer in this bike, i dont think it is all hype.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
zhendo,
i'm 6'1" and i get full let extension with a 410 thomson. get a 27.2 post and a cane creek shim to get up to the 30.0. this has two advantages - one it saves your beautiful thomson from scratches at the mercy of the unfinished lower internal portion of the seat tube. two - it allows your post to drop farther down the seat tube giving you a better range of "tuck" than you would have with a 30.0 post. trust me, it is worth it.

i have mine built up at 41lbs right now. i have a boxxer ride on it, which is not the lightest fork option (close to 7lbs, probably over) and a coil rear shock w/ deity cranks. stay with burly singleply tires (like schwalbe big betty) for lower weight on the build. consider a roco air for a lighter build, though i do like the propedal and feel on my coil dxh 5.0. some lighter cranks and you could get close to 35lbs on a large frame build. pop a dual ring on it and you can climb :)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
zhendo,
i'm 6'1" and i get full let extension with a 410 thomson. get a 27.2 post and a cane creek shim to get up to the 30.0. this has two advantages - one it saves your beautiful thomson from scratches at the mercy of the unfinished lower internal portion of the seat tube. two - it allows your post to drop farther down the seat tube giving you a better range of "tuck" than you would have with a 30.0 post.
definately do this, i ruined a thompson with this issue, bought another and had the seatpost tube totally cleaned before inserting it.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
do you have any pictures of the bike with the seatpost jacked all the way up? i really like that idea of the shim by the way, thanks for that advice. i'm going to go with a fox 36 talas and a dhx air on my next bike, and my hope is to get it around 34-35 lbs.