Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Definitely want to hear feedback, was thinking of hitting buy very soon.

ok this is a good mod, IMO. The new damper feels better the faster you ride. Tonight was the 3rd ride on it and had about 1,600' of fast descending over 3.5 miles or so, top half rocky, lower half faster. I think I'll try dropping psi 4-5#, or maybe lose 1 or 1/2 spacer for a more linear air spring. Did the stock damper suck? Not really. But yea this feels great.

FWIW, I bought this thinking I could drop it in another Pike with the 1st gen Charger, which also was converted to a coil. The new air springs seem better (still not a coil) and are lighter after all. A coil in this Lyrik would be amazeballs.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
ok this is a good mod, IMO. The new damper feels better the faster you ride. Tonight was the 3rd ride on it and had about 1,600' of fast descending over 3.5 miles or so, top half rocky, lower half faster. I think I'll try dropping psi 4-5#, or maybe lose 1 or 1/2 spacer for a more linear air spring. Did the stock damper suck? Not really. But yea this feels great.

FWIW, I bought this thinking I could drop it in another Pike with the 1st gen Charger, which also was converted to a coil. The new air springs seem better (still not a coil) and are lighter after all. A coil in this Lyrik would be amazeballs.
What characteristics stood out as changed?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Much smoother at higher speeds with seemingly improved traction.
1st half of the trail I rode last night is quite fast and very rocky. The fork was incredibly responsive and felt smoother all over.

My last ride before install was on similar terrain, long fast very rocky descents. I was worked over at the end of that ride.

I do feel like I need to get my air settings dialed. My fork is a touch too progressive for my taste right now. Still experimenting.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
1st half of the trail I rode last night is quite fast and very rocky. The fork was incredibly responsive and felt smoother all over.

My last ride before install was on similar terrain, long fast very rocky descents. I was worked over at the end of that ride.

I do feel like I need to get my air settings dialed. My fork is a touch too progressive for my taste right now. Still experimenting.
i've heard good things about that. if they release one for the fox 36 i'd be all over it.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

What stood out about the 11-6 I had was how composed it was, the thing just stuck. How long since you'd done a lowers service and which damper did you start off with?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
What stood out about the 11-6 I had was how composed it was, the thing just stuck. How long since you'd done a lowers service and which damper did you start off with?
My bike is an RFX with an Eleven Six. (1) DH settings (2) general harsh trail settings.
Fork is a Lyrik with a Charger 2 damper, and I keep my forks/gear maintained pretty obsessively.

My other fork is a Pike, Charger RTC3 with ACS coil conversion.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
i've heard good things about that. if they release one for the fox 36 i'd be all over it.
Why should they? The reason for this thing is the poor performance of the Charger 2 damper. No such thing in a Fox fork I know of.

There is a pretty long thread on emptybeer about it.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Why should they? The reason for this thing is the poor performance of the Charger 2 damper. No such thing in a Fox fork I know of.

There is a pretty long thread on emptybeer about it.
I wouldn't call performance of the Charger 2 poor. I think in stock configuration it could use more support once you blow past the low/high speed threshold, but it's hardly poor. I prefer it to the 36 RC2 I had before it. The advantage with the Lyrik is it's lack of friction.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
First Impressions.
Avalanche 888 Damper with FvAT/HSB and Hydraulic ABS

Cockpit w Avy cartridge.jpg

Original Setup.

Stock damper re-shimmed.
Removed Air Volume adjust
X-Firm spring.

New Setup

Avalanche 888 Damper with FvAT/HSB and Hydraulic ABS
Removed Air Volume adjust
Firm Ti spring
SKF green seals.

Install was super easy, a couple of snap rings, o rings bottom out cone and your good to go.

Twiddled a few knobs over 3 days of setup playing.
Pretty much there, but I still seem to want to add a click or two of rebound on machine built as opposed to natural trails.

It is really kind of neat to have a fork do what you think it should when it should with no except whens.

It stays high in its travel when you are doing slow tech, or working in steeps.
Multiple fast hits do not give it the vapours.
It still works when deep into the stroke.
You can pump with it without needing to do full extension pushups
You don't seem to get thrown over the front of the bike at odd times.
I have not felt it bottom, but do seem to have used all of the travel
It uses travel much more efficiently, I use less travel with a softer spring at the same body weight with more comfort and control. It is a bit odd feeling as it is not "plush" you do feel everything, but the odd thing is less arm pump, no wrist pain, no sharp shocks, you feel the trail, but not the fork working, it just gets out of the way and you really just stop noticing its there.

It is early, and things may change when I get onto more varied terrain, but even if there are issues crop up, it is so far ahead of the custom shimmed stock damper it is just fucking sad how bad stock shit is. It is the same with the Yarilanche on the trail bike compared to any Zoke, Fox, Rockshock, Magura or Manitou that I have ridden. (Honestly the overall feel of the IRT equipped Mattoc is the closest and even it is miles and miles away)

And for anybody interested that is a 27.5 x 2.5 Maxxis Ass-guy on a 25mm internal rim on a 26" 888 chassis.

275 wheel with Assegai Small.jpg

And the full on 27.5 / 26 Mullet in all its glory.

Mullet 275 26 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Darren implied it's at least something they talk about in the Vital podcast. Depending on how you interpret what he said you could go so far as to think they have one in development.
I did hear that. Not entirely sure which way to take it. Although I do get the impression that if they were to pursue development and manufacturing of their own fork they would have to staff up.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
@Nick - new-to-me 36 180 because old one (albeit 170) cracked at the pinch bolts. some dude on pb took it off of his nomad after a few rides. will install once wolftooth boostinator kit arrives. nearby is bleed stuff and new sintered pads for the curas.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
@Nick - new-to-me 36 180 because old one (albeit 170) cracked at the pinch bolts. some dude on pb took it off of his nomad after a few rides. will install once wolftooth boostinator kit arrives. nearby is bleed stuff and new sintered pads for the curas.
Sounds awfully "freeridey" to me.

The lizards will be in to speak with you shortly.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
IMG_20190728_123440_706.jpg

Got back a Marzocchi Roco I perma-lent to a friend about 4 years ago. He found it when doing a pre-moving cleanup. Yesterday I got into my winter vacation week and said "what the heck, let's give it a try!" So I rebuilt it along with the Marzocchi 350 fork. Turns out that thing has a 38mm offset, so I'm thinking of putting a -2 degree Works Components headset to modernize the geometry.

Today I got the chance to test them in a short loop close to my home and boy the shock is so much plushie than the Fox CTD... Luckily the Orbea is a helluva Pedaler.

Last edited:

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Went around the block multiple times, considering used bikes off PB and looking for specials online. Considered everything from a Scott Ransom to Nukeproof Mega, Commencal Meta to YT Capra.... But after analysing geometry and all the reviews about the Process 153, I ended up ordering 1 today. If I was riding terrain with more vert and gnar then I would have jumped on a number of bikes with no hesitation. But from the reviews, description and geo, I think the 153 will suit my riding style and local trails perfectly.
Jumped straight on the phone to talk with TF Tuned about shortening the travel of a 205x65 DPX2, since there are plenty on PB. No issues and it will be setup correctly for the 153.
Only concern now is the wheels. Thinking of selling them as soon as the bike arrives so I can sell them as "new", and investing in some Hopes. My LBS is able to sell a set at a very good price.

Now I just need to wait for delivery. Never bought a complete bike before, and my last build was the 2013 Chilcotin. So pumped.

Process 153 CR.JPG

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Went around the block multiple times, considering used bikes off PB and looking for specials online. Considered everything from a Scott Ransom to Nukeproof Mega, Commencal Meta to YT Capra.... But after analysing geometry and all the reviews about the Process 153, I ended up ordering 1 today. If I was riding terrain with more vert and gnar then I would have jumped on a number of bikes with no hesitation. But from the reviews, description and geo, I think the 153 will suit my riding style and local trails perfectly.
Jumped straight on the phone to talk with TF Tuned about shortening the travel of a 205x65 DPX2, since there are plenty on PB. No issues and it will be setup correctly for the 153.
Only concern now is the wheels. Thinking of selling them as soon as the bike arrives so I can sell them as "new", and investing in some Hopes. My LBS is able to sell a set at a very good price.

Now I just need to wait for delivery. Never bought a complete bike before, and my last build was the 2013 Chilcotin. So pumped.
You're going to dig it, it's a super fun bike! Here's mine, updated with a few new bits.
IMG_1650-Exposure_edited.jpg

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Yesterday was new bike day for me and two friends, sold my Carbine to one of my buddies, and he sold his Trek to another one of our friends. Never has selling bikes worked out so perfect.

Trail Pistol (booooo 29er!), started out as a Ride 1 kit then upgraded to Helm air up front, DPX2 on the back, i9's with all the points of engagement, Formula Cura 4s, XTRish cranks and a GX Eagle drive-train w/e.13 cassette for now, Revive post, Race Face bar and Renthal stem. Anybody want to buy some take-off parts?

Got a couple laps on the little loop near my house, and this thing is fun as shit, and based on pure seat of the pants feel it's fast as fuck, didn't do anything to the suspension beyond airing it up, so I imagine it'll get even better.

Attachments

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yesterday was new bike day for me and two friends, sold my Carbine to one of my buddies, and he sold his Trek to another one of our friends. Never has selling bikes worked out so perfect.

Trail Pistol (booooo 29er!), started out as a Ride 1 kit then upgraded to Helm air up front, DPX2 on the back, i9's with all the points of engagement, Formula Cura 4s, XTRish cranks and a GX Eagle drive-train w/e.13 cassette for now, Revive post, Race Face bar and Renthal stem. Anybody want to buy some take-off parts?

Got a couple laps on the little loop near my house, and this thing is fun as shit, and based on pure seat of the pants feel it's fast as fuck, didn't do anything to the suspension beyond airing it up, so I imagine it'll get even better.
want clean those handplanes that are cluttering your bench up by sending them to your friend roflbox?
:brows:

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
How's that E13 12-spd cassette (assuming its 12spd w/ Eagle der)? They're cheaper than SRAM's fancier offerings at a similar weight.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Roflbox, That's where the real monocle worth stuff in the garage is.

How's that E13 12-spd cassette (assuming its 12spd w/ Eagle der)? They're cheaper than SRAM's fancier offerings at a similar weight.
So far so good, only have 20 miles on it, so time will tell. Cheaper than Sram, and the 9-46 spread means I can keep a 32t, and maybe go to a 34t, no way I'd be happy with a 32t on the Sram cassette, and the frame won't clear a 36t, so I think I'd be geared out pretty quick.

Last edited:

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Felt like a long wait, but I think it was because there was no timeframe provided by the dealer right from the start.
Heading away for a music festival tomorrow, and decided to assemble when I get back so I can take my time and enjoy.
20190807_175705.jpg

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Got curious to know if any WahWahs were included (would have been the cherry), did some digging and found a wee box. WTF! Assembling from the frame doesn’t end up with a box I need to tip. Oh and there are reflectors on the wheels and that big plastic POS protector behind the cassette.

B3E8C863-64A5-4519-89E2-56C90572A4B7.jpeg

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The lizards made me buy these outrageously expensive suspended grips. I was prepared to be disappointed ... but ... I really like them. One ride so far, zero hand fatigue and no pain in my arthritic thumb the next morning either.

Jenson had them for $50 a few days a go.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The lizards made me buy these outrageously expensive suspended grips. I was prepared to be disappointed ... but ... I really like them. One ride so far, zero hand fatigue and no pain in my arthritic thumb the next morning either.
Do you feel them moving around? Any kind of bottom out klunk?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Do you feel them moving around? Any kind of bottom out klunk?
You don't feel them "bend" or hit the handlebar underneath but they spin a little and you can feel that rotation in a "parking lot test". Can't really feel that during a ride at all. I installed the "softest washer" but apparently they can be made more firm and not spin at all.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009

The new whip survived it's first real ride. The Crankworx EWS80 (short course 4 of the regular 6 stages) was a good little intro beat down for the bike. Needs some suspension tuning as I am running the shock short stroked and not getting the ramp up it should be.

The suspension layout is a copy of the Ancillotti Scarab Evo, same as their "pull shock" where the link pulls the rocker from under the bb. It was a nightmare to build and I won't be building this design again.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Shake down ride today with a freshly cut Holy Grail. I'm still fiddling with the knobs, yet it feels supple and supportive. The rear wheel felt like glued to the ground.
Was coming from a RS super Deluxe something...
IMG_20190814_150421_512.jpg

I liked this shock on the Devinci Troy and hesitated between it and getting a DHX RC4 for the new rig then I found a cheap second hand Holy here in Sweden :)

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Shake down ride today with a freshly cut Holy Grail. I'm still fiddling with the knobs, yet it feels supple and supportive. The rear wheel felt like glued to the ground.
Was coming from a RS super Deluxe something...
View attachment 136329

I liked this shock on the Devinci Troy and hesitated between it and getting a DHX RC4 for the new rig then I found a cheap second hand Holy here in Sweden :)
Interesting--do tell about the Holy Grail. I'd not heard anything about it before.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Interesting--do tell about the Holy Grail. I'd not heard anything about it before.
It's from a small French company: Fast Suspension. I just hope they will get a better rep than BOS! ;)

It's a not too much nonsense monotube shock. Tracey Hannah is running one this season. You can read more here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/singletrackworld.com/2017/01/first-look-fast-suspension-holy-grail-shock/amp/

They've got a new model now called the Fenix. It has not been out for too long yet so that it is difficult to get honest and long term feedback but it seems promising. Some reading in English: https://enduro-mtb.com/en/fast-suspension-fenix-review/

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, the new Slayer ticks every box for me except one...over 9 pounds frame weight.
That’s too much for doing 4K climbs enjoyably to me. Guess I’ll wait another year and see what the redesigned Instinct will look like.

IMO, they nailed the reach measurement, I will still demo one Labor Day weekend.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
So, the new Slayer ticks every box for me except one...over 9 pounds frame weight.
Surely that's gotta include the weight of the X2 and steel coil. Cos that's nuts for carbon. If it includes the shock and spring weight, that's not too bad realistically.