Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
curious to hear your thoughts. i'm currently running dhf back, assegai up front and like it.

Up until recently, I always ran the dhf in the rear. I wanted to try a couple new ones to feel the difference. I had a new Aggressor on the rear, but I feel like it gave up too much on braking / climbing traction.

I am hoping the Dissector will improve upon both of those areas and roll a bit faster than the dhf.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Up until recently, I always ran the dhf in the rear. I wanted to try a couple new ones to feel the difference. I had a new Aggressor on the rear, but I feel like it gave up too much on braking / climbing traction.

I am hoping the Dissector will improve upon both of those areas and roll a bit faster than the dhf.
exactly what i was wondering. a better fireroad climber that can still hold its own on backcountry downs would be terrific!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
For our terrain I'd like to give a dual compound EXO+ version a try if Maxxis ever made it.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I would like a 2.4 HRII in Maxx Grip EXO+ but nOoOoOo.... Seems like Maxxis is phasing the HRII out.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
You want to avoid alloy nipples on carbon rims in general. Salts, other minerals, found readily in nature cause a reaction between carbon and aluminum that accelerates corrosion. Essentially, a small electrical current is created. Supposedly, anodized aluminum is less affected but brass is really the only way to go.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah but he said with brass, first time I’ve heard of it happening there…wow

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
all that said, yeah, brass in future. at minimum on the rear. this was also the first wheel i built myself. happy that it took this long to have an issue. near two years.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah but he said with brass, first time I’ve heard of it happening there…wow
which is why I asked what sealant he was using. definitely possible for something in whatever homebrew solution was use that could corrode brass. ammonia is known for being corrosive with brass, and is present in natural liquid latex. albeit generally in small amounts, but depending on the ratio used.

also it would require a pretty significant amount of leaking at the tape to contact the nipples long enough for them to fail in that manner.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
which is why I asked what sealant he was using. definitely possible for something in whatever homebrew solution was use that could corrode brass. ammonia is known for being corrosive with brass, and is present in natural liquid latex. albeit generally in small amounts, but depending on the ratio used.

also it would require a pretty significant amount of leaking at the tape to contact the nipples long enough for them to fail in that manner.
Right. The sealant is not supposed to make it into the rim cavity. How much made it there over a few years - hard to tell, it must have been a slow leak.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Brass untreated looks the coolest in goldfish color, softer and exposed.
Treaded brass silver black much harder doesn't pull or break like alloy and avoids corrosion like exposed brass or aluminum
Alloy look cool and are souch fun to tighten and snap them have to go through a crapload just to replace a spoke and nipple...MMM mm mm fun..

I'm going old school mags ftw...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah ammonia and copper or brass is a no go. Alloy nipples are hopeless though unless you like having to re-lace wheels.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Sealant under the tape is a common problem for me, both because my trail bike gets high-ish miles and my garage isn't insulated (it's probably over 100 degrees in there from April thru Nov).

I suppose I need to stop trying to save $ on tape, and change it out (double wrap) on every tire change.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sealant under the tape is a common problem for me, both because my trail bike gets high-ish miles and my garage isn't insulated (it's probably over 100 degrees in there from April thru Nov).

I suppose I need to stop trying to save $ on tape, and change it out (double wrap) on every tire change.
Or UST should make a comeback