Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
BikeYoke Sagma seat
BikeYoke 55mm stem
OneUp 20mm rise bar

Dumping rain. Feels great in the garage. Trail time not until Monday.

20231007_181746.jpg
20231007_181850.jpg
20231007_182245.jpg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
She's a pig ..going to swap to trail star tires and lighter cranks..sits 39lbs...granted stock wheelset was slightly lighter but they went on hightower...wouldn't trust em for bashing...

OK so aside of weight , it pedals really well..really well...does not feel like it's that weight and it stays planted better than I had anticipated...

Very smooth and ripping around I do culdesac turns fast and lean in hard to see if it pockets...it pockets well and doesnt get weird...

But it's a pig...carbon would be lighter and carbon rims which I'll opt away from.
20231008_140335.jpg
20231008_140350.jpg
20231008_140401.jpg

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Much drag from the dual idlers?
Yes! You can definitely feel a little, when on stand and backpedaling cranks by hands but it's not bad..
When I was pedalling it up and around the hill, you don't notice it ..it pedalled better than I hoped and better than my nomad...had a lot less strain and dead feeling than the nomad which pedals well for what it is and I've ridden it on some pretty damn good climbs ..

Can't seem to see anyway to reduce drag on it, it's the wrap around angles that's causing it..

It boils down to a give and take, little drag for active rear and no hang up...if you were climbing all the time I'd opt for something different for sure..
But some earn it type climb for descent, yeah it'll get it done well,and the way down based on how it handles and mashes will be a lot of fun

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Don't really want to start a new thread, I am a fatty who wants a stout 130mm travel 29" fork, don't care about weight or offset, don't want a coil spring.
I plan on dropping my Mezzer to 100mm and throwing in on a mulleted hardtail, but I don't want a new Mezzer as it's a 4yo fork and will no doubt get updated the day after I buy one.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Don't really want to start a new thread, I am a fatty who wants a stout 130mm travel 29" fork, don't care about weight or offset, don't want a coil spring.
I plan on dropping my Mezzer to 100mm and throwing in on a mulleted hardtail, but I don't want a new Mezzer as it's a 4yo fork and will no doubt get updated the day after I buy one.
Fox 36?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
As canadmos said fox 36...go with a rythm it'll be thicker csu and lowers...it's stiffer than a factory or performance....for a hard tail and being bigger that's just a suggestion..
I have had both and the rythm tracks a smidge stiffer...
There are the "ebike" versions as well.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
As canadmos said fox 36...go with a rythm it'll be thicker csu and lowers...it's stiffer than a factory or performance....for a hard tail and being bigger that's just a suggestion..
I have had both and the rythm tracks a smidge stiffer...
I'm still angry at Fox because I hated my Z1 so much, I think it's under the bench so I don't have to look at the POS, hahaha!
Seems the Helm's travel is adjustable with spacers like the Mezzer and also has no balance port which is nice, might try a Helm even though they are nearly as old as the Mezzer.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm still angry at Fox because I hated my Z1 so much, I think it's under the bench so I don't have to look at the POS, hahaha!
Seems the Helm's travel is adjustable with spacers like the Mezzer and also has no balance port which is nice, might try a Helm even though they are nearly as old as the Mezzer.
Isn't the Helm kind of similar to a Pike? Might not be the stiffest of things...

What was wrong with the Z1?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Yes! You can definitely feel a little, when on stand and backpedaling cranks by hands but it's not bad..
When I was pedalling it up and around the hill, you don't notice it ..it pedalled better than I hoped and better than my nomad...had a lot less strain and dead feeling than the nomad which pedals well for what it is and I've ridden it on some pretty damn good climbs ..

Can't seem to see anyway to reduce drag on it, it's the wrap around angles that's causing it..

It boils down to a give and take, little drag for active rear and no hang up...if you were climbing all the time I'd opt for something different for sure..
But some earn it type climb for descent, yeah it'll get it done well,and the way down based on how it handles and mashes will be a lot of fun
I switched to that MRP guide the slash uses on my Forbidden Druid, the bike shifts much better and feels like less drag than the stock e13 guide. It seems to minimize that wrap angle from the chainring to cassette.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I switched to that MRP guide the slash uses on my Forbidden Druid, the bike shifts much better and feels like less drag than the stock e13 guide. It seems to minimize that wrap angle from the chainring to cassette.
Did you notice how small the teeth are on it? When I was messing with it I grabbed a light and started looking into all spots to see if there was a way for smoother chain. Saw that and it pretty much was as minimal drag as it's going to get...on its own it rolls really well..
How do you like the druid?

I rode one but I put the rear tire against rear triangle and buzzed on hard pocketed corners...aside of that I really was impressed with it

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So side by side on intiti feeling..

Nomad= 35 lbs large (live, poppy, nimble)
more nimble, easier to manual and wheelie, more playfully, pedals decent, handles swapping lanes and chunk very well, softer initial mid stroke.

Slash= 39lbs x-large (fast, numb to terrain, plow race bike)
Hard as hell to wheelie or manual, stays planted to ground, not as poppy, lower feeling front end, corners fast as hell but different style then nomad, pedals really well..
Going to kill it in the nasty shit...

For more MTN park style or super nasty the slash will be amazing for ripping it's hard as hell to beat nomad they ride different ..

If I were racing Enduro and it was nasty the slash hands down...it will just smooth out and handle the onslaught of terrain...now play days and jib style riding, nomad...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Proportionally speaking 39 is a lot less for you that it is for pair of 5 footers.
True, size and mass plays a difference for sure...38 is my go to for weight on an aggressive bike, the nomad is 34, the hightower is 33 and the session is 38...I'll have to see what I can add or subtract but I'd like 38 or less...

Also set the cockpit up a bit more fitting..im sure its because it's a xl and really stretched out...

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Did you notice how small the teeth are on it? When I was messing with it I grabbed a light and started looking into all spots to see if there was a way for smoother chain. Saw that and it pretty much was as minimal drag as it's going to get...on its own it rolls really well..
How do you like the druid?

I rode one but I put the rear tire against rear triangle and buzzed on hard pocketed corners...aside of that I really was impressed with it
Yeah, I saw those miniteeth, seems to be part of the "magic"

Druid has been great. Honestly, it's bit too capable for the trails I ride it on. Haven't buzzed the rear triangle yet, I'm on crabonz wheels, maybe that's why?

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I broke my spine twice

he just uses a fanny pack

I'm a victim of circumstance, he deserves it

but if he mails me some dingos he's motherfucking goliath in my book
T1 and T3 here. Still haven't tried the fanny pack option but I got the Chase vest which is probably worse?

Dingos are in the mail!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So took it out for some pedaling and single track with some rocks, massive rain ruts and more Enduro with alot of uphill..

Pedals really well,even better than the nomad..on flat the nomad seemed to have it but when it went up and hard the trek definitely was way better..it doesn't show it's weight , it pedalled better than the nomad which was 4 lbs lighter...

Cornering is better it loads back really well, transitions in and out of 12"+ rain ruts it's sticks and grips..it kills the nomad on downhill..

The bike is deceiving, I parted nomad out now after dialing this one in and have no regrets

20231015_095152.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
So took it out for some pedaling and single track with some rocks, massive rain ruts and more Enduro with alot of uphill..

Pedals really well,even better than the nomad..on flat the nomad seemed to have it but when it went up and hard the trek definitely was way better..it doesn't show it's weight , it pedalled better than the nomad which was 4 lbs lighter...

Cornering is better it loads back really well, transitions in and out of 12"+ rain ruts it's sticks and grips..it kills the nomad on downhill..

The bike is deceiving, I parted nomad out now after dialing this one in and have no regrets

View attachment 202026
Well I'll be damned, a Trek without 12 headset spacers, nice.