Quantcast

NEW World Cup replacement!?!?

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbody
So it comes down to Whistler not wanting to lose their lift-ticket revenue for a weekend!?!?!? Niiiiicccce!

What I meant by "Niiiccceee!" is how amazing it is that a resort can make more money from a weekend full of riders hanging out and riding than hosting a World Cup event, the premier event that everyone aims to participate in and spectate at. It's a big slap in the face of the UCI.

Whistlerto UCI: "No, we don't want to host your event because we won't make as much money as we would on our own!"

Pretty damn funny!!

And yes, holiday weekends in Canada are awesome. Canada Day in Whistler . . . . game on!

You have no clue about what your talking about !!!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
alex, i think lee and i are going to do schladming. i shoukd know in a week or two if i can pull it off.
we got some tickets two weeks ago off orbitz from july 3-12
for 970. amarillo to munich thru dallas. get on there watcher
set to 3 days before and after for under 1k and i bet there
will be some dates that work pop up.

if i get top 50 @ MSA and austria i want to scotland and slovainia,
train from UK. it would be super fun. i am so psiked as are you
i am sure about WC's this year.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
CND Cyclist has an interview up with patrice drouin of Gestev about the WC.

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/default2.html

Excerpt:
PD - We wanted to do everything possible to avoid cancelling a world Cup, which would not be good for the sport. We hoped to be able to put on a triple ((cross-country, downhill and 4-cross, like Mont Ste Anne, and scheduled originally for Angelfire), but 3 months is not enough time to put this together. The CCA (Canadian Cycling Association) launched a bid process with the main organizers (in Canada), and we said that we could look at it.

CC - St Felicien is not a traditional location...

PD - We originally would have liked to work with Lake Placid (New York); if you remember when it back to back Mont Ste Anne, Mount Snow (Vermont), that was the best combination ever. Lake Placid was interested, but not enough local support in such a short time for them.

We talked with Blue Mountain (Collingwood, Ontario), but it was too fast for them to make a decision. I think they needed to have all of the information - what costs, how many hotels rooms, everything before they could make such a decision, and there was not time.

I suggested Halifax to the CCA - it is a nice city that is very enthusiastic for tourism events, but the notice was maybe too short.

St Felicien is a smaller municipal ski resort, but they have one of the best cross-country courses in the province. The athletes have always been very appreciative of the race up there, so we are feeling good about it.

Patrice also mentioned that Gestev is bidding for the 2010 World Championships.
That last line has me excited!

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003

Excerpt:

PD "If we had 8 or 9 months notice then I think it could have succeeded in Lake Placid."

that line also has me excited... that mountain needs to have a world cup in the near future. it is probably one of the best venues in the country and the track/terrain if done right would rival any of the classic euro tracks.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005

Excerpt:
PD - We wanted to do everything possible to avoid cancelling a world Cup, which would not be good for the sport. We hoped to be able to put on a triple ((cross-country, downhill and 4-cross, like Mont Ste Anne, and scheduled originally for Angelfire), but 3 months is not enough time to put this together. The CCA (Canadian Cycling Association) launched a bid process with the main organizers (in Canada), and we said that we could look at it.

CC - St Felicien is not a traditional location...

PD - We originally would have liked to work with Lake Placid (New York); if you remember when it back to back Mont Ste Anne, Mount Snow (Vermont), that was the best combination ever. Lake Placid was interested, but not enough local support in such a short time for them.

We talked with Blue Mountain (Collingwood, Ontario), but it was too fast for them to make a decision. I think they needed to have all of the information - what costs, how many hotels rooms, everything before they could make such a decision, and there was not time.

I suggested Halifax to the CCA - it is a nice city that is very enthusiastic for tourism events, but the notice was maybe too short.

St Felicien is a smaller municipal ski resort, but they have one of the best cross-country courses in the province. The athletes have always been very appreciative of the race up there, so we are feeling good about it.

Patrice also mentioned that Gestev is bidding for the 2010 World Championships.

talk of collingwood is interesting, its a sick spot but i doubt they could handle a high level race because they just dont have the terrain. they've also had some bad luck with people getting injured in races and file lawsuits or there insurance companies sue so i think this could hold them back.