Quantcast

NiteRider Nabs eBay Resellers

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

AUGUST 17, 2004 -- SAN DIEGO, CA (BRAIN)--Light maker NiteRider recently busted a number of retailers selling its product on eBay--a practice forbidden by the company's dealer agreement.

"In this latest investigation, we caught four more illegal dealers," said Kevin Lunau, NiteRider's president. "Over the last year, we have developed several different techniques for positively identifying these people that are breaching our [dealer] agreements."

Seven parties were found to be selling NiteRider product at deep discounts, another violation of the company's dealer agreement. These "dealers" provided no physical storefront, catalog or mainstream promotions to support and service customers.

NiteRider immediately terminates its business dealings with companies found in breach of the dealer agreements, Lunau said.

"It is very important to us that legitimate NiteRider dealers are protected against gray market sales," Lunau said. "We are doing everything possible to ensure that all NiteRider dealers abide by our agreements and that dealers have the best opportunities to offer the level of sales and service customers demand for our products."

J

JRB

Echo said:
Niterider kicks ass. But if you can't afford the best there is other stuff out there :)

Not an HID, but I bought a new trail rat in Austin. Plugged it in and left the room. Came back a few minutes later and the charger was smoking. Blistered my fingers unplugging. Took it back and learned it was the 4th one. 5 at another store in Austin. Called NR and informed them so they could avoid any legal actions from others and they dismissed as a whatever. I say whatever. Screw them and their crap lights. They are the only ones I see that won't light up after they are warm on the trail. Lots of peeps like them or they wouldn't be here, but for me they are no good. My Lume light has no probs and they gave a deal since I help with some grass roots events.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
loco-gringo said:
OK so they are good in LA and NY. My bad.
Heh, actually I've used mine in MA, NY, and AZ so far.

You're entitled to your opinion that they suck, just as I'm entitled to disagree :)

J

JRB

splat said:
Yes, But I'm cheap!

you should know that after seeing my Home made rigs at both Dalton and Monkey fest. and in 15 years my home rigs have always held up. ( with only one fire while riding ! )

Only you can prevent forest fires. :D

J

JRB

Echo said:
Heh, actually I've used mine in MA, NY, and AZ so far.

You're entitled to your opinion that they suck, just as I'm entitled to disagree :)

Agreed. I would agree more that Light and Motion has failed the most on rides. It was nice just using Turbo Cats until I realized how bright HIDs were.

splat

Nam I am
loco-gringo said:
Agreed. I would agree more that Light and Motion has failed the most on rides. It was nice just using Turbo Cats until I realized how bright HIDs were.
I know I was very happy and prod of my Home made systems that cost me next to nothing.

then I Demoed a Lights and motion HID system at Pedro's fest , and wow I just could not believe how bright it was ( and lighter ) than my systems , now I want one

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
If you plan on riding with lights often, anything less than HID is a mistake. A non-HID light is the equivalent of buying an entry level full suspension bike, you'll out grow it immediately.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've been out of the niteriding loop for a while, what's a HID light? and does it totally kick ass my set up (niterider cyclops or digital headtrip)?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Narlus, ask Auntester about how my HID compares to his halogen lights. There is no comparison in terms of brightness and battery duration on the trail. HID mean high intesity discharge or something, the light is similar/same to the xenon lights on high-end cars (not the $10 ricer wanna be blue bulbs).

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
I have a 2 yr old Niterider LCD Extreme 32 watt system that I have used succesfully 3 times. I have sent it back twice, and am just sick of dealing with this piece of crap.

So any of you Niterider lovers want to buy a light set cheap?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
All my NR halogens were a POS. So far the HID has been mint (2 years).

narlus said:
i've been out of the niteriding loop for a while, what's a HID light? and does it totally kick ass my set up (niterider cyclops or digital headtrip)?
HID's an arc lamp, heavy on the UV end of the spectrum. I have no experience using one, so I can't comment on the reliability.

My old 6V halogen NiteRider is not reliable, specifically the connections to the lamp itself.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
N8 said:
"In this latest investigation, we caught four more illegal dealers,"
Investigation?

What a joke. Who do they think they are kidding. The make lights for god's sake!

I can just see the owner of the company in a Sherlock Holmes outfit, following the clues, findng all the "illegal" dealers.

J

JRB

Jesus said:
Investigation?

What a joke. Who do they think they are kidding. The make lights for god's sake!

I can just see the owner of the company in a Sherlock Holmes outfit, following the clues, findng all the "illegal" dealers.

Hello. Ben Matlock is that you??? I got me some illegal dealers to track down. You up for it????

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Jesus said:
Investigation?

Any legitimate dealer who signed a dealer agreement and attempts to resell Niterider's equipment will appreciate what Niterider is trying to do.

I suppose since you're an online retailer, you would love to see dealer agreements, retail pricing, profit margins, and customer service go right out the window, but there are still a few companies around who value their legitimate dealers.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
Echo said:
Any legitimate dealer who signed a dealer agreement and attempts to resell Niterider's equipment will appreciate what Niterider is trying to do.

I suppose since you're an online retailer, you would love to see dealer agreements, retail pricing, profit margins, and customer service go right out the window, but there are still a few companies around who value their legitimate dealers.
Actually I am all for dealer agreements, and making sure they are abided by. I wish manufacturers would keep everything at a set MSRP so we could sell the service and not the product, and we could make a decent margin.

And just so you know, my on-line portion of the business was too much hassle to deal with, so i'm just keeping it local now. Just haven't bothered taking the site down yet.

Just the thought of a bike light manufacturer doing an investigation struck me as...funny.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Jesus said:
Investigation?

Actually a guy from my church is a regional sales rep for nightrider, he's got a pretty extensive background in military inteligence and security. You might be suprised what NightRider has done in this case.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
Kornphlake said:
Actually a guy from my church is a regional sales rep for nightrider, he's got a pretty extensive background in military inteligence and security. You might be suprised what NightRider has done in this case.
I just looked at my calender, and wouldn't you know it, the Niterider rep is stopping by today. Now this is going to be fun!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Jesus said:
Just the thought of a bike light manufacturer doing an investigation struck me as...funny.
It is kinda funny :D

I just think it's too bad that more companies don't aggressively pursue frauds who take advantage of dealer pricing to run gray market operations.

How dare we put this thread back on topic! :mumble:

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
Actually, I use a Specialized Fireball Comps that are 32 watts for dual beams (20 watts in one; 12 the other). I bought it 2 years ago and now it still works as if I bought it new even though its beat up and held together by duct tape... I got it on sale for 80 bucks @ Supergo (I'm real cheap). Yeah, I've heard bad reviews but hey, its done the job for night runs! :D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Jesus said:
Investigation?

Yeah and the government needs to bust Niterider - price control and trade restriction is illegal - ARREST NITERIDER :p

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Jesus said:
Actually I am all for dealer agreements, and making sure they are abided by. I wish manufacturers would keep everything at a set MSRP so we could sell the service and not the product, and we could make a decent margin.
That is illegal in most states and called "Price Fixing." Most franchise laws (varying by state) are clear in that the RETAILER is the one that sets price. Thus there is no way NiteRider or any manufacturer can tell a retailer at what price they can sell something. Thats is why it is called MSRP
Manufacturer's
Suggested
Retail
Price

However in this case they are probably well within their rights to limit the sale of stuff over the internet, or 3rd party sales (EBAY)

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
loco-gringo said:
Not an HID, but I bought a new trail rat in Austin. Plugged it in and left the room. Came back a few minutes later and the charger was smoking. Blistered my fingers unplugging. Took it back and learned it was the 4th one. 5 at another store in Austin. Called NR and informed them so they could avoid any legal actions from others and they dismissed as a whatever. I say whatever. Screw them and their crap lights. They are the only ones I see that won't light up after they are warm on the trail. Lots of peeps like them or they wouldn't be here, but for me they are no good. My Lume light has no probs and they gave a deal since I help with some grass roots events.
I had a similar experience twice. The second time they wanted to charge me for another charger.
:nope: