Quantcast

No bindage on this Obtainium spring

[TA]

Chimp
Dec 3, 2008
The Great White North
Heres a bike that was featured on Sicklines ages ago(there was a thread on here too)
It has a hydraulic perch, No idea who made it tho...but i have seen a few different ones on various Intenses (one was labeled Orbit i think)assicoated with the Intense factory.:cheers:
HA! My Formula SAE team (the University of Kansas) worked with Cane Creek and the hydraulic spring perch manufacturer, Hyperco if I remember correctly, to develop those a few years back. I was hoping they'd show up on the market, but I'd imagine they wouldn't come cheap. Pretty sweet stuff if you're looking to get every bit of performance out of a shock.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
For information, I tried one of these on my CCDB, and the shock body bottomed on the bearing assembly at full compression. The ID of the bearings isn't quite big enough for the body of the CCDB with the black plastic rub guard on the body. Luis from K-9 said he'd be informing the designers.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Why spend silly money on expensive Obtanium versions of actually very simple things.

Just get

4 of these
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p8862/AS3552+Thrust+Washer+Series+AS+35x52x1+mm/product_info.html

and 2 of these

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p8802/AXK3552+Needle+Roller+Cage+and+Roller+Assembly+35x52x2mm./product_info.html

Or an equivalent from a US bearing supplier....
That's all fine, but you do need an additional spacer which will make the skirt of that collar much longer so there is room to center up the bearing, the washers, AND the spring. The stock collar by itself doesn't have a long enough skirt to do all that.

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
You guys are lucky you can get your hands on one!! I ordered one from my local distributor in Australia and its now been almost several weeks and I still havent got the spring!!
Apparently Obtanium only sent out a few, instead of the 10 ordered and none of those were my size, so 4 weeks later I am still waiting on my damn spring!! I cant even get an ETA from them.
And its not the distributor cause I have been dealing with them for years and they have always been prompt with delivery. Almost everything on my bike is kitted out with their stuff
Anyone else had these issues with Obtanium?

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
I think your problem lies in the fact you ride a bike with a 3.5 stroke(Makulu) and are trying to order a spring from a company that makes a maximum of 3.0 stroke springs. It could be awhile before you get your spring.

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
I don´t see the nessenty of a bearing set in both ends of the spring. As the shock compresses the spring will try to wind itself, but isn´t this eliminated with a bearing in one end. If not, please explain why two is better than one?
As I see it, it only adds weight and costs.

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
They only fit the Obtainium spring, you may be able to modify them however. It has a lip designed to hold a 1.5"ID spring in it, you would need to remove that and either make another lip in it or risk the spring moving around.

will d

Chimp
Dec 27, 2007
You don't need one at each end, it is entirely uneccesary, and anyone telling you otherwise is talking out of their poopy hole!
NOTE: Hyperco/ICP Hydraulic Spring Perches should be installed at both ends of the spring when running free lengths of 10" or less. For free lengths above 10" it is advisable to run them on only one end. Hydraulic Perches are in constant motion when the vehicle is on the track and will require rebuilding / maintenance. Hyperco recommends a maximum time between rebuilds of 10-12 hours.

Last edited:

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
NOTE: Hyperco/ICP Hydraulic Spring Perches should be installed at both ends of the spring when running free lengths of 10" or less. For free lengths above 10" it is advisable to run them on only one end. Hydraulic Perches are in constant motion when the vehicle is on the track and will require rebuilding / maintenance. Hyperco recommends a maximum time between rebuilds of 10-12 hours.
Note::D That is for Hyperco Hydraulic Spring Perches(mostly used in motor sport) not the NEEDLE ROLLER style perches offered by Obtainium.:thumb:
The Hyperco perches allow the end of the spring to tilt under spring movement not rotate like the obtainium perches...that's why they recommend their use at both ends with shorter springs...... I don't really know for sure why only one hydraulic perch on longer springs though(excessive bowing maybe???)

Last edited:

will d

Chimp
Dec 27, 2007
ok thanks, was just trying to research if this was used in other applications like motor sport , Note that was copy pasted off the web site.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
No probs... The hyperco perches have been around for a few years now an im sure there must be others out there too. I havent seen any needle roller style used in motorsport though.
I think both styles of perches are a good idea an have their positives an negatives. Both are basically trying to do the same thing but in different ways.

Squam_DH

Chimp
Feb 24, 2009
They only fit the Obtainium spring, you may be able to modify them however. It has a lip designed to hold a 1.5"ID spring in it, you would need to remove that and either make another lip in it or risk the spring moving around.
Thanks for that. Good thing to have a friend with a CNC and like 4 lathes. Also, if anyone has an obtanium 9.5x3 350 pounder(unlikely I know) that they want to get rid of, shoot me a PM.

Squam_DH

Chimp
Feb 24, 2009
Off topic but I don't want to start a new thread.

Looking to order an Obtainium spring, but dont know what weight to use.

TFTuned's spring calculator says 300, but Mojo's says 350. i am about 160lbs, ride an Izimu with an Elka and am looking for about 33% percent sag.

So if anyone has any advice, that would be great.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Probably a 325. I weigh 145-150 and I bottom my 300 on my Izimu fairly regularly, but I would say it's a good weight for me. For you, it might be a tad soft, so the 325 would probably be the best.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Off topic but I don't want to start a new thread.

Looking to order an Obtainium spring, but dont know what weight to use.

TFTuned's spring calculator says 300, but Mojo's says 350. i am about 160lbs, ride an Izimu with an Elka and am looking for about 33% percent sag.

So if anyone has any advice, that would be great.
I have allways felt it best to also check with your frame's builder. One of the nice things about www.obtainiumperformanceproducts.com is that there Ti springs come in 25lb increments.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Probably a 325. I weigh 145-150 and I bottom my 300 on my Izimu fairly regularly, but I would say it's a good weight for me. For you, it might be a tad soft, so the 325 would probably be the best.
that's very weird... i weigh 185 (195 or so with gear on) and i run a Vivid with a 300lb spring and have only bottomed it ONCE when i did a 4 foot flat to drop......

I also run an Izimu....

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Really? You're probably running around 40% sag, I'm right at 33%, and I bottom on drops and in G-outs. Depends on how you ride I guess.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Really? You're probably running around 40% sag, I'm right at 33%, and I bottom on drops and in G-outs. Depends on how you ride I guess.

I'm @ 40% sag.... but i don't race though, i freeride and have fun.... but sometimes i set the compression pretty high.....

but i'm switching to a CCDB.....

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
Does anyone know if the Obtanium bearing cups will fit a CCDB Ti spring? Have a 10.5x3.5 CCDB and the spring could use some help to deal with the binding... I heard that either Obtanium or some other similar company makes the springs for CC so figured it was worth a shot asking...

Cheers

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Its actually the difference in shocks. The B tune Vivid felt way overdamped on my Izimu, and I never bottomed out a 300 spring and I am 180.
On the CCDB with the new tune, I run a 300 pound spring and bottom it here and there. Normally when I screw up, but I definitely use all the travel now.;)

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Its actually the difference in shocks. The B tune Vivid felt way overdamped on my Izimu, and I never bottomed out a 300 spring and I am 180.
On the CCDB with the new tune, I run a 300 pound spring and bottom it here and there. Normally when I screw up, but I definitely use all the travel now.;)
do you know if the Stock CCDB 300 pound spring would be stiffer that the Obtanium 300LB one? i doubt it, but just curious on a CCDB....??? should be getting mine tomorrow.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Finally made a proper spacer for the thrust bearing on my Double Barrel (I didn't get the Obtanium kit, just ordered the McMaster bearing) with a long enough skirt to keep the spring and the bearing/washers centered up.

For those people doubting it's effectiveness - I can have someone sit on my bike while I have my eyes and fingers on both ends of the coils where it actually terminates, and watch the end with the bearing rotate about 15 degrees or so. I can feel the one end of the spring fixed in place and the other rotating smoothly. Sag #'s appear ever so slightly different as well. Taking 5 readings with and without the bearing yielded a little over 1/8" difference. On the trail the midstroke appears a bit more open and articulate.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I played around with some parts from Jim a while back (did not have the adapters/bearing housing at the time for my shock, so I just ran the bearings) and had similar results.

Feels just that little bit smoooother...and a little easier to open up to mid-larger hits.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive ben running the Obtainium on one end of the spring.

Do you think it would benefit to run one on each end or is one enough?

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
One should be enough. I asked the question about two earlier, and nobody came up with a good explanation on why two is better than one.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Could probably just order the bearings in bulk from McMaster. They're pretty damn cheap. They seem like they'd be pretty hard to seal. I just flush mine with WD40 and re-grease every so often.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Mine lasted a whole year before I needed to clean the bearing collar, but my shock was located where it didnt see much mud or dirt. They are pretty sealed.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
Im really interested in trying out the Bearing system from Obtainium. Do I have to use an Obtainium spring for the Bearing system? or can I just use a regular steel spring from Rockshox since it uses the same spring ID as Obtainium? 1.5 I beleive?

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Whats up with Jim and Obtainium? They dont have hardly any springs in stock. Anyone know what the deal is?

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
yep, Kntr: been wondering the same myself. each time i got the $$ to order, the one i need is OOS. But i also ask myself: what's the difference between obtanium and Nukeproof (i can only import these brands)? is it really black and white, good vs bad, or what? I can get the NP from CRC, just can never find a credible and technical comparison between the two brands. If anyone can provide some guidance, i would greatly appreciate that. :)